SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I started slot racing in 1969, we had a club at school and at Wonderland in Southend on Sea. Raced 1/32 and 1/24 stock for school and at home but handbuilt brass for 1/24 @ Wonderland. (Think I've got some pics if anyone is interested).
Used an old Airfix set at home back then, had a solid bottom
to the slot so the deep guides used on wooden tracks did'nt catch as with Scalexrtic
Got a Ninco World Rally set about 5 years ago, used it for a couple of days and put it away
Just before Xmas thought it was time to go racing again, had 2 cars for Xmas and bought loads of extra track. Running about 24mtrs as single lane rally track (about 12 mtrs of acutal track). Track still evolving as I have some more bits to come including some snow track.
Having great fun
and walking easy with a very light wallet

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

I found an advert for Wonderland in an old model mag before Xmas, so as I had business on Westcliff the week before Xmas thought I'd take a drive past. Obviously closed up but you can still make out the distinctive shape of the frontage.

I had to make do with the local department stores track during school holidays.

There are a couple of clubs not too far from you that might be worth investigating

Simon

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's it.
Had 2 tracks upstairs, the main club track for 1/24 with banking and general track which you hired by time or general public could use via coin slots.

there was also a track in Hamlet Court Road, Westcliff when I started, get my 1st 1/24 car there- Chappell. Does any one remember this?

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Welcome and good to have you on board!!!

Would love to see any pics you have from back in the 60/70's

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Yes - me too!

I visited (I think!!) Wonderland as a schoolboy but it may have been Hamlet Court Road - it was a long time ago. Which one had the drag strip along the wall that was never working? I seem to remember an article in Miniature Auto about the opening of the raceway.

I took my pride and joy, a Monogram Ferrari 275P that murdered every Scalextric and Strombecker car in my friend's loft but it seemed to stand still compared to the Cox 1/24 Lotuses, Ford GTs and Chaparrals. I'll never forget the whistling sound they made. Any photos would be great to see.

Welcome, Beardy56!

Andy

·
Ian
99 Posts
Welcome Beardy,
you like Ninco track, you'll love GT Raceway One of the best Ninco tracks in the country and it's just down the road from you!
Hosting some fantastic events, some of us travel a long way to race there, I suggest you take a trip

1 - 9 of 9 Posts