SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I started slot racing in 1969, we had a club at school and at Wonderland in Southend on Sea. Raced 1/32 and 1/24 stock for school and at home but handbuilt brass for 1/24 @ Wonderland. (Think I've got some pics if anyone is interested).
Used an old Airfix set at home back then, had a solid bottom
to the slot so the deep guides used on wooden tracks did'nt catch as with Scalexrtic
Got a Ninco World Rally set about 5 years ago, used it for a couple of days and put it away
Just before Xmas thought it was time to go racing again, had 2 cars for Xmas and bought loads of extra track. Running about 24mtrs as single lane rally track (about 12 mtrs of acutal track). Track still evolving as I have some more bits to come including some snow track.
Having great fun
and walking easy with a very light wallet

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

I found an advert for Wonderland in an old model mag before Xmas, so as I had business on Westcliff the week before Xmas thought I'd take a drive past. Obviously closed up but you can still make out the distinctive shape of the frontage.

I had to make do with the local department stores track during school holidays.

There are a couple of clubs not too far from you that might be worth investigating

Simon

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's it.
Had 2 tracks upstairs, the main club track for 1/24 with banking and general track which you hired by time or general public could use via coin slots.

there was also a track in Hamlet Court Road, Westcliff when I started, get my 1st 1/24 car there- Chappell. Does any one remember this?

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Yes - me too!

I visited (I think!!) Wonderland as a schoolboy but it may have been Hamlet Court Road - it was a long time ago. Which one had the drag strip along the wall that was never working? I seem to remember an article in Miniature Auto about the opening of the raceway.

I took my pride and joy, a Monogram Ferrari 275P that murdered every Scalextric and Strombecker car in my friend's loft but it seemed to stand still compared to the Cox 1/24 Lotuses, Ford GTs and Chaparrals. I'll never forget the whistling sound they made. Any photos would be great to see.

Welcome, Beardy56!

Andy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.