SlotForum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received the Gaydon magazine and was a little shocked and ashamed to be English because of the poor standard of writing. Parents will surely prevent their kids from reading poor English publications.

·
David J
3,182 Posts
Should the question in the title have a capital B and a question mark?

Not sure that grammar is taken that seriously in recent years, perhaps there are more important things to worry about.

I really think if you become "a little shocked and ashamed to be English" by a little bit of bad grammar you probably need to get out more...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Dont make critisism on language, it could bee that people make critisism at You!!!
What I mean If you have something to tell about a language, it have to be almost perfect!! No cansel almost ;-)
Good point and I like it. Its the same here in sweden.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Generally the quality of language in the magazine is excellent and that is thanks to the editor. The Gaydon edition did have content from various sources and was rushed to get it ready for the event.

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
I always took my grammar very seriously. I was brought up to respect my elders and she was a very dignified lady.

Grandad was a right larf tho.

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,588 Posts
Hello Mustang,
Totally with your thoughts, but the reality is that language evolves. In Shakespeare's day they spoke in a manner that is much different to what you and I learned at school. Forsooth, the bard would have turned in his grave if he had heard what went on my English classes. I work in a college of further education and there is a battle against the use of "text speak" but we all know it will become established eventually. The nanny state dictates that we should not criticise people because they cannot spell - sadly there is no distinction between those who cannot spell and those cannot be bothered to spell.

·
Kitbasher
4,247 Posts
Sorry, but shoddy is shoddy, end of...

Just to stay on trend..........

Why is print different? I have no idea but it is, please keep rubbish English for the smartphone and get it right in print.

I think that makes me officially an old cumudgeon but what the hell....

Oh and being a magazine editor was both a pleasure and a passion so I do have previous....

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
QUOTE (scuderia_turini @ 16 Jun 2012, 22:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I work in a college of further education and there is a battle against the use of "text speak" but we all know it will become established eventually.
I abhor the textmessagisation of the English language. If a text's worth sending, it's worth sending properly. And our education system should be caring about churning out illiterate halfwits, because our competitors in the global market place are making certain their kids can go out and get the job done.

I also hate to see poorly written articles in print. Isn't it the editor's job to make sure it's right ? Many's the time I've been tempted to take a red pen to a magazine and send it back to the offenders.

That said, on an international forum such as this, we have to be more tolerant as many of the posters are writing in a foreign language. How many of us Brits could string a sentence together in Norwegian or Polish ? I am often amazed at just how well some of our foreign members are able to write so beautifully in English. Our lazy attitude to foreign languages is one of our most embarrassing traits as a nation.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
QUOTE (mustang @ 17 Jun 2012, 04:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just received the Gaydon magazine and was a little shocked and ashamed to be English because of the poor standard of writing. Parents will surely prevent their kids from reading poor English publications.

I've yet to read the issue as it only arrived on my doorstep on Friday evening.

If I may enquire, is it a particular item to which you grammatically object or is it an overall standard?

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
QUOTE (tifosi @ 17 Jun 2012, 09:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry, but shoddy is shoddy, end of...

I think that makes me officially an old cumudgeon but what the hell....
Actually it more likely makes you a curmudgeon

·
David H
3,724 Posts
QUOTE (DJ @ 16 Jun 2012, 18:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not sure that grammar is taken that seriously in recent years, perhaps there are more important things to worry about.
Like what?

A poor knowledge of grammar reflects sloppy teaching. Dismissing grammar as unimportant reflects sloppiness.

·
Gerald Lambourn
998 Posts
I know, I found impossible to keep to magazine deadlines, however even if there is not time for independent proof-reading a passage through the spell checker is obligatory and there are many tips on style too. Getting an article 100% correct is really difficult, but carelessness shows through.

·
David J
3,182 Posts
"Like what?"
I meant things to worry about in general life Dopamine not in terms of literary accuracy, grammar should be taught but good teaching can only go so far, I think poor parenting is a much bigger problem than poor teaching.

I read through a few of mustang's (no capital m?) posts and there are grammatical errors throughout, my comment was more to do with people in glass houses not throwing stones, start a thread about bad grammar on a slot forum and people will, quite rightly, take the p!ss.

I think we forget that, in general, we are grown men playing with toy cars and a bit of bad punctuation or the odd spelling error shouldn't really bother us.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother with these futile arguements on here, ultimately they mean absolutely nothing.

·
Marc Abbott
1,912 Posts
QUOTE Just received the Gaydon magazine and was a little shocked and ashamed to be English because of the poor standard of writing. Parents will surely prevent their kids from reading poor English publications.

I am sure that once Le Mans is finished, Richard will have a kind answer to the above.

I would like to point out that writers do not receive any money or gifts for their efforts and most (if any) are not professional in that role. They do it out of the love for the hobby and to pass information on to others.

It would be useful if you could point out (as requested) any glaring errors that were made (we are not responsible for adverts or "advertorials" though - they are printed as supplied).

As the person responsible for putting the design/artwork together, I often think "Hmmm, I shouldn't have done that" when viewing the final print and will always try and learn from past problems, so I'm sure our esteemed editor will also find appropriate information a plus.

Perhaps we could receive and interesting article from yourself one day?

Very kind regards

Marc

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
as you know my spelling is not up to scratch[long time since i was at school] but as long as you get your point across who the hell really cares. i dont use text speak because it takes me longer to decifer it, but its comeing. john

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
LOL (Oops! Text-speak!). I've been loitering and not posting for an absolute age and what is it that finally prompts me to post again? Grammar!

Grammar is very important if you don't want others to think you a fool and a dolt. I know mine isn't perfect but I try very hard and kinda (Oops!) wish I'd gone to the school wot dun latin instead of the one I went to... where we did woodwork and metalwork! I've still got the metal scriber and tables I made somewhere.

I work for an educational publisher. I regularly come into contact with primary school teachers and their grammar and spelling I find shocking sometimes.

Mind, I'm only truly happy when I'm grumpy. A mysterious but wonderful contrast.

·
Administrator
9,651 Posts
I find some of the reactions here incredible.

Would you folks who think grammar and spelling relatively unimportant accept shoddiness in your own work? Do you really think you are getting your point across as well as possible when you don't use capitals, punctuation in the right place, etc.?

An occasional typo is one thing; not taking an extra minute to organize your thoughts and check what you write is another.

Like Tifosi, I'm a "communications professional", working as a technical translator/copywriter in France, so I'm very aware of the difficulties of communicating in a multinational environment. Without having to be fluent in a language, you can still think about what you write - and I find this to be less and less the case, even in a professional context.

Now, in my job I have to deal with this (and find a nice way of saying, "Uh, Jean-Claude, your English is, how shall I say this, rather approximative..."), but in the forums or magazines, when somebody can't be bothered with making a little effort to communicate correctly, I can't be bothered with reading it.

Don

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.