SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Fly E30 is still causing me grief. It's fine in a straight line but won't go round corners without falling over. I've come to the conclusion that the problem is the front axle set-up. For the wheels to spin freely, they flop up and down big style.

Any suggestions what can be done to mount the axles rigidly in the chassis? I've thought about replacing the axles with machine screws fitted tightly to the chassis. I'd drill the wheels to allow the wheels to spin, and hold the wheels onto the screws with nuts. Would this work? Anyone done something similar, successfully? Will it have much effect on the way the the car corners?

An alternative could be to replace the chassis with one that has the motor mounted further back. I've already replaced the chassis on one car, so I think I could do it - proving I can find a suitable replacement interior for the BMW. Anyone done this? What chassis have you used?

TIA

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Stu,

I too have found the Fly BMW a real pain! After my very positive experiences with their Audi Quattro (drop arm and shaft driven 4WD) I felt confident that the BMW would behave well - how wrong I was!!

At the moment I added a Ninco sprung guide and taken the front tyres off so they don't wobble!

Like you, I feel if the motor was further back it would help as it lacks traction but that will involve a lot of work and time....... perhaps a job for next year!

Regards,

Alan

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Dopamine @ 2 May 2012, 20:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have you considered cornering more slowly and not expecting a BMW saloon car to handle like an LMP car?

LMP? LMP???!!!! We're talking rally cars here.

..... And I should also have mentioned that being a rally car, it runs non-mag.

·
Registered
834 Posts
some FLY front-motored cars can accept a "straight-axle" job; you may have to cut the arm shaft a little (do this w/ the motor spinning for faster cutting & cooler cutting temp.) I have done this to a FLY Alfa.
While I haven't run either my Alfa's of E30's in a long while, one of my E30's sports Slot.it Z0 front tires.
Here is a solution for FLY stub axles:
Pull the wheel from the axle; clean up any mold flashing from the chassis, wheel, & stub axle; using a pin drill, drill through the outer rim of the wheel into the axle hub, close to the outer edge of the wheel, this creates a glue-relief hole; clean the area of oil or grease; get 4 nylon washers, put one on a stub axle, slip the axle through the mount pillar; put another washer on the stub axle; test fit the wheel on the stub axle, if it is better, then pull the wheel off & put a drop of CA glue into the axle hub of the wheel; press onto stub axle; "gap" the set-up w/ a razor knife (this allows for free-rolling movement); repeat for other wheel.
I have several FLY cars tuned up this way & it almost always makes a big improvement. Be sure your wheels & tires are true & race away!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Thanks for ^^^^^ that Dude. I may well give that a go. I've already got Z0s on the front and it did make a bit of a difference. I also fitted a Ninco sprung guide and I tried putting weight (BluTak) on the chassis. I may also try:-
The original front tyres on the rear - they're narrower (I'm thinking less grip, less likelyhood of rolling).
A weak magnet.

I noticed you mentioned an Alfa. Would that be the Guiletta/2000GTV? What's it like compared to the E30? I've got an Alfa on my wish list, but if it's not much better than the E30 I'll probably forget it. Other Fly cars on my wish list are;-
Porsche 911
Lancia 037
Renault 5
Anyone know what any of these are like non-mag? I don't want to be wasting time and money on them if they are only any good as strong-mag'd racers.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I've cracked the E30.

I swapped the rear axle for an SCX Impreza GrA one complete with SCX ribbed tyres and now it laps my track in similar times to my SCX Sierra Cosworth, without de-slotting.

I still haven't done the mod on front wheels, I need to decide which wheels I want to run on the car first.

Thanks to everyone for the input here.

·
Registered
834 Posts
the Alfa's I'm referring to are the GTA variants.
the other cars you mentioned are quite good, the 911 sometimes has front axle issues (bounce/bind) that can be remedied. the 934 is the same basic chassis & performs quite well also.
I have an 037 w/ a Slot.it rear in it & it competes very nicely in Group B rally against some of the best out there; I can't wait to get my hands on the Ninco 037!
the Turbo 5 is good, but the Spirit is the best if you can find one. FLY has a SW in a stiff chassis. Spirit has an IL FK-180 "boxer" motor in a pod, rear shocks, & a drop arm & goes like stink; I've even down-motored one to an NC-5 & it still can dish out a thrashing.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for ^^^^ that Martini.

It looks like it could be game-over for my E30. I attempted to do the front axle mod and I've broken the chassis at the axle ears.

I suppose I've got nothing to lose now, I may as well have a go at butchering the chassis and interior so that the motor can sit further back, allowing me to run a solid axle. ....... Or I may have a go at fitting a spare Scalextric sidewinder I've got here. I seem to be getting the hang of doing chassis/motor/driveline mods;- I recently fitted an SCX GrA Impreza 4WD chassis into a Scalextric shell.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just done the stub axle mod.
Pulled the wheel off the stub axle.
Super glued the stub axle in place at 90 degrees (held in place with a little blu-tac whilst it set).
Separated the parts of the wheel (outer grey wheel, white hub and discarded the brake disc found inside - why bother putting it in Fly? You can't see it!)
Drilled the outer grey part with a 2.5mm drill bit (now rotates freely on stub axle).
Drill the white hub from the outside (use the wheel nut as a guide) with a 1.5mm bit (to let air/glue out).
Slide grey wheel over stub axle, add a drop of super glue to inside white hub (remove any excess) and push back on stub axle.
The wheel should now rotate freely and not wobble and the white hub should hold the wheel on and not rotate (a bit like F1 cars from a couple of seasons back).
Replace tyre.
It's very difficult to see either the back or front wheels actually spinning (as they are all white) so as the front doesn't spin it's difficult to notice.

Now to find some weight to add to the back.....

Regards,

Alan

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
QUOTE (StuBeeDoo @ 6 May 2012, 11:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It looks like it could be game-over for my E30. I attempted to do the front axle mod and I've broken the chassis at the axle ears.
After a lot of head-scratching, I think I may have found a solution:- There's enough room in the shell for the motor to be moved up enough for an axle to pass under it. Having the long driveshaft helps. I've got a few spare chassis I can cut the motor mounts out of.

OK, so at this stage, I don't know how much difference the raised GOG will make, but I'm going to take a chance. The car can't handle any worse than before I clicked-on that the original rear tyres were too sticky for a rally car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.