SlotForum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to make way for all the other expenses that come when starting off I am going to do a medium controller upgrade first

I am looking at Parmas.

So as far as I can make out Economy is base model, Plus is heavier frame (with nicer trigger feel and heat sink on resistor), What is a turbo?

I am running 10v on a complex enough plastic sport track - I would like to be able to avail of all the trigger travel (ie: Not be at full speed at 1/3 throttle!)

I will not be going running superfast cars other than my 21.500K slotit motors.

I cant decide should I get a Plus or a Turbo and a 35ohm or 45 ohm controller.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
If it helps, on 12V I tend to use a 25ohm Parma economy for that sort of motor. Obeying Ohm's law I suspect that you would want a lower resistance controller compared to what you'd want with identical car/identical track at lower voltage.

Coop

·
re member
4,019 Posts
QUOTE What is a turbo?
The turbo controller has an alumnium plate,kinda like a chassis that sits in between the two handle parts. This plate carries the trigger and resistor. It makes for a slightly better
controller than the economy that uses the plastic handles to hold things in place.

As for OHM's ....are you using magnets? If your track is twisty and you are not using magnets then....the 35 might be OK or the 45 might be better...get both resistors and find out. Changing resistors is not that much of a problem with these controllers.

regards

·
Rich Dumas
3,539 Posts
There is not much difference between a Plus and a Turbo. Both types have the same aluminum frame with separate contacts for the brakes and full speed. The Turbo is made for 1/24th commercial raceway cars and uses a double barreled resistor. 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 and 4 ohm models are available. The Turbo is also available as a kit without a resistor. You can add whatever resistor you please. There are also Turbo Qualifier controllers with special "wet wound" resistors. Those are all double barreled and 2, 3, 15 and 25 ohm models are available.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, yes I will definitely be running non magnet so will start with a 35ohm and
hopefully that will suffice.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
35ohm Economy will be fine for what you've said here, but you could go down to 25ohm to get those SlotIt motors at their best especially if you are using them with magnets fitted.

·
Registered
230 Posts
At our store track, we are using the Economy Parmas, and they are holding up just fine. The Turbo and Plus won't "feel" any better, but they can take more abuse. As Rich D has already alluded to, the Plus and Turbo are aimed for 1/24 guys that run 16D motors on commercial tracks.

If you're running 10v and no magnet, I recommend 25 ohm for best overall feel using standard Scalextric and Slot.It cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts