Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I had a couple of really bad mini shells kicking about and I remembered 35 years ago my grandfather used to take me to Hendesford raceway, just north of Birmingham down the A5. I can't remember that much about it except they had a figure of 8 track and minis racing it. First crashes I ever saw, it was awesome. So back to these minis. The yellow mini was a real mess of broken and missing posts and a crack all the way down the middle. I had no window plastic for either of them so I thought cage windows. I remember these at Hendesford, always wanted them on my first car (well you do when your 8). The red mini was also a mess. I got these in a scrapyard off ebay and someone had tried to create a convertible mini, so I had to cast a new roof from another mini I had. I was going to make new bumpers too, but I can't remember the ones I saw racing had them. All good fun.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Hi Rayden,

You know not what you ask !!.

I remember "Hednesford Hills" before it was a raceway !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I and my brothers used to "bicycle-speedway" round the old res before anybody thought of turning it into a "race-way".

The site was a dis-used reservoir on Hednesford Common, and when we were growing up our grand-parents lived on Wood-Lane, leading up to the common.

It was a dry, empty shell, and we used to place old oil drums and race around them on our bicycles.

As time went by, the place was bought by a local business bloke, and turned into a banger track, the circuit delineated by piles of old tyres, and race control in an old bus !!.

It was very succesful, and grew, bit by bit, into a proper stock-car raceway, which everybody enjoyed.

Dont know how it is today, not been back in over 40 years, but hear it is still going.

VBR Chris A.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats wierd Chris, because I remember sitting on a hill and looking down into the track. I thought I had just imagined it as I drove past about 10 years ago and it was a proper track, not what it was when I went. I actually remember the old bus, I forgot about that until you mentioned it. Perhaps some members have some old pics of the place, be interesting to see it again.

·
1 hp Trabant is not my real car
770 Posts
Yes, I remember Hednesford Hills from around the 1970s.
My dad ran Waverley Garage in Kenilworth, and one of the young mechanics raced at Hednesford - can't remember what car, Standard 8 or something.
As it was a dirt track then (? memory) he welded the diff locked, which was OK full chat on the track, but was a pain in paddock manouvres.
In the 1960s, my dad used to take me to Brafield Stadium on the back of his S8 Sunbeam motorbike, happy memories.
Oh! and Brandon Stadium for the Brandon Bees speedway...
Oh! and ...and...
Thanks for the memory jog.
Tom.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to fuel those old memories of those that remember Hendesford hills, I found some pics.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Are you sure thats Hednesford? -----it looks just like Mac Pinches, Me and Chris Adams trying to get back in time for last orders ..
, Local lads all of us. MEADWAY SPARES, a Birmingham based breakers yard, were something to do with the promotion of the raceway.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi Chris,
Hednesford Hills Raceway is alive and well.
There is a website with loads of info.
Still popular and attracts many to the various events, held there.
Members visit annually.
Malcolm

·
Paul 'Cookie' Cook
564 Posts
Hednesford is still alive and kicking, I'm on the reserve list for the Civil War there this weekend, one of Britains biggest banger meetings (North v South).

The place is struggling with the local council putting injunctions on the place about noise etc, but its still going strong!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its good to hear that its still going, not so good that the councils on their backs. Probably want to see the site sold for houses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts