SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am about to use bare metal foil for the first time and have a question. Do you apply it to the panted shell and clear coat or clear coat the shell and then apply the foil ?

Tony

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,741 Posts
It works either way

If you clear coat first make sure it is throughly dry as you will be handling the car a fair bit.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
I would advice you to apply a clearcoat to the painted shell first and then the baremetal foil.

1 A clearcoat usually dulls the shine of Baremetal foil a tiny bit

2 A layer of clearcoat will protect the underlying paint during the application of the BF (like when you trim the foil with a blade etc etc)

3 Any irregularity on the surface that you apply the baremetal foil to will also be visible in the applied foil. So a layer of clearcoat will give you the possibility to polish the surface before applying the foil.

with kind regards
tamar

·
ParrotGod
8,216 Posts
If you need to chrome the window edges then go for the molotov liquid chrome. It is an excellent product!

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, can you clear coat over the Molotow chrome ink

Tony

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
For small details that are not prone to greasy/acidic fingers...no need.
For larger surfaces..yes you can, a 2k or waterbased clear would be best (like Alclad's waterclear) but expect the same slight dulling as experienced with other "chrome" products.

rgds
Tamar

·
Gordon Steadman
6,888 Posts
This might be worth a try too. Cheaper I suspect than the Molotow (sounds like a petrol bomb)

I have used it with Klear over and had no problems.

Attachments

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi

Thanks for the info again, I have used the Pilot silver pen before and it just doesn't give the effect I'm looking for

Tony

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
..." Cheaper I suspect than the Molotow (sounds like a petrol bomb)
Well...to be honest...you're pretty much spot on. If you need to cover larger surfaces your "Best buy" would be the 30ml Molotow refill

Which not only sounds like it but also looks a bit like a petrol bomb ;)

MOLOTOW%E2%84%A2+LIQUID+CHROME+Refill.jp

·
ParrotGod
8,216 Posts
THere is a huge difference between a silver pen (I have used some) and the liquid chrome.

·
ParrotGod
8,216 Posts
Hi Leo

No idea as I am only using the pens (1mm and 2mm).

I guess it should not be a big problem to use the refill with a brush.

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,629 Posts
Thanks anyway Gio.

I ordered a pen when I saw this thread and it arrived today. Very impressed with the shiney-ness. Hope it lasts.

Leo

·
ParrotGod
8,216 Posts
It is really impressive, isn't? And it also does not look like you have applied with a marker.

·
Kitbasher
4,280 Posts
I have bare metal foil, I have used bare metal foil but for me it is the Molotov cocktail every time now.....

Sooooooo much easier and 1mm pen is very accurate.

·
ParrotGod
8,216 Posts
I have got the refill...will try with a brush first and then with an airbrush.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts