SlotForum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Got a lovely VIP set (circa 1966) off Ebay the other day. A bargain at only £20!
Set contained a lovely yellow Honda F1 car which only needed the drivers head repainting.
It also contained a Cooper F1 which needed a bit more work. It looks great now, except that I need to put a pair of mirrors on it. Does anyone know where I might get a set of (aftermarket) 1960s F1 style mirrors from?
Cheers,
Kev.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
A great find, Kev. And they're looking good now.
I have some VIP spares (including "chrome" and screen for the Honda and many front assembly parts), but no mirrors, I'm afraid.
One solution might be the mirrors attached to the driver figures on some 1960s Scalex single-seaters such as the PowerSledge cars and the Team Car. Just cut the stalk off at the driver's arms, and you can still use the driver on something else. The mirrors are about the same size as on the VIP Cooper and BRM.
By the way, is that braid peeking out at the front? Just wondering if a previous owner has replaced the VIP brush pickups.
Rob J

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Nice find Kev.

Didn't F1 cars of that era have fairly generic bullet-shaped mirrors the same as the "go faster" ones the boy-racers used?

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks lads.
I was going to butcher a Mk1 Airfix F1 car Rob, but I don`t have the heart!
The old style pick-ups were well past the sell by so I`ve just replaced with modern braid-works no problems.
Cheers,
Kev.

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice one Rob.
I butchered the wing mirrors off an old powersledge driver like you said...looks great! Also added a new roundel on the nose.
Cheers,
Kev.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Cheers, Kev. The mirrors look much better on the VIP Cooper than in that ugly set-up on the Scalexes.
Love your track too.
Rob J

·
Administrator
9,796 Posts
Very nice Kev - I have a real soft spot for the VIPs, especially their F1s! Looks like the Cooper has gone a bit banana shaped, which is an intrinsic fault of many of the VIP cars - but wonder why some do (like the Sharknose, always), and others don't? (like the BRM stovepipe)

Don

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
That warping is probably the reason that I've so far shied away from VIP F1s. Is it possible to repair the warp? I've used a hot air gun to repair other warped plastic bodies with good results.

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Thai & Don.
Tiny, tiny amount of warping on the Cooper Don. It looks a whole lot worse on the photos.
I`ve just been up the loft & brought down a red Cooper & Lotus Indianapolis to restore. Unfortunately the Lotus is well past it as it resembles a boomerang now!
Cheers,
Kev.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
The warping on VIPs has been attributed to faulty mixing of the plastic for a time, specifically when the Ferrari was first made (1962). I think that is in the VIP history at http://www.madmalc.screaming.net/victoryindex.htm .
However, the Lotus Indys were made four years later (1966). Maybe the warping is worst on the models with an almost flat neck between the nose and the main body.
I have one or two of all the single-seaters and almost all are OK. As Don says, the BRMs are unaffected. They were first made in 1963.
Steam is another method of straightening bodies. I haven't used it but some swear by it.
Rob J

·
Stranger Things 2
575 Posts
They are some nice cars you have there Kev .

Thanks for the link Rob J ... very intersting reading.

Always found VIP slot cars interesting, I have some parts and bodies but never seem to get anything together ... maybe time to change that.

Cheers, Michael

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hands up if you`d kick your grandmother to get hold of a VIP Frogeye.....
Cheers,
Kev.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
QUOTE (ThaiRacer @ 7 Jun 2011, 07:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That warping is probably the reason that I've so far shied away from VIP F1s. Is it possible to repair the warp? I've used a hot air gun to repair other warped plastic bodies with good results.
An afterthought on the VIPs, Thai. It should be fairly safe to buy the Lotus 18, Cooper, BRM and Honda.
The Ferrari and the Lotus Indy would need a physical inspection and, as Don said, probably all the Ferraris are warped.

Michael: PM me if you need parts. I might be able to help.
Rob J

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
This Cooper was in bits up the loft.
I rebuilt the running gear. The mirrors & filler caps are off a diecast. The head is Policar (anyone got a VIP head to sell?)
Looks really good now. Note how it has the earlier chassis (skinny wheels).
Cheers,
Kev

PS My mate Rons been round tonight. He just picked up this VIP MGA off Fleabay. Complete except for screen..Price? £6!! Spawny get!!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Couldn't see the photos at work (stupid work filters!) so only just seen what you'd bought Kev. I love them!! And what a bargain price!

I thought you must have been sniffing motors again at Gaydon when I heard the price tags on some of your purchases!

Cheers

Gareth

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, nowt like sniffing those old motors Gareth...you want to give it a try on yours!
Seriously well done to Ron for getting that VIP MGA for £6...I`m dead jealous!
Cheers,
Kev.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts