SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi once again guys

can u help me bye giving me some different examples of some custom made barriers/home made that i could put in my future layout

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Ice,

Here's a link that shows how to use strips of foam rubber from McMaster-Carr to make very cheap, very raceable borders: http://www.homeracingworld.com/trackborders.htm

I went a step further with this and bought a sheet of 5/16 inch neoprene foam rubber into which I sunk my track. Scaley Sport track sits flush with the 5/16 sheets but the strips are not available in that thickness, the closest they come in is 1/4.

To find the 5/16 sheets put product number 8674k74 in the "Find Products" box at http://www.mcmaster.com. You can cut the foam rubber easily with a utility knife.

I'll have some pictures of how I used the foam up eventually.

Paul

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
For a slightly more "rustic" look at tire barriers, I used some 5/8" black heater hose cut into 1/4" pieces:

The "walls" were made from blocks of foam cut from a sheet and then glued together to form the brick pattern.

Hope this helps.

Dennis

·
Registered
386 Posts
I used some crystal lattice trim from Lowe's for barrier walls on my layout. Its pretty flexable too also use around curves.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I pretty much used Harry design from Home Racing world that was mentioned above then took it a step further.

The racing walls I used are actually Screen Cap that is sold here in the states in Lowes and Home Depot. These are the perfect height at 1 1/2 inches and although pretty flexible, they are also solid as a rock. I used track clips that are made by Carrera to hold 2 sections of track together to hold the Screen cap against the track...

The effect was jut what I wanted. These screen caps are about 8 feet or so in length and cost about $3.00 USD per 8 foot section.

I took this one step further and made most of the walls look like they were cut into the ground by putting 1 1/2 inches of styrofoam against the back of it and ran fiberglass screening up to the top of the stryofoam and stapled the screening to the styrofoam. I then put Plastercloth from Woodland Scenics on the screening and let it dry.

Once dry, painted the plastercloth green and used Woodland Scenics Blended Turf ground foam on the wet paint. Once the paint dried, I sprayed the Turf with a thinned out mixture of Elmer's Carpenters glue and sprayed it until the turf was soaked. When it drys, the glue is clear so you don't see it and the turf does NOT come up. Now the walls look like they are cut into the landscape with Earth to reinforce it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks very much brian u actualy posted the same message on home racing forum for me becuse im jonny face off aswell, but u know instead of the carrera track clips would scalextric clips do the same job

1 - 9 of 9 Posts