SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Well I recently decided to go digital and, to recap, i started off with this space:

Fortunately, due to an understanding better half, that space became this space:

So, up until today, that is where I was at.

However, I did some more structural work on the frame this morning and then aquired a decent selection of digital track/cars/accessories.

So, I spent much of the day working on a new layout which works really well. Here are some pictures of work in progress:

The whole track:

The as yet uncovered raised section, (for testing purposes)

Its testing day at the start of the season:

Whole track with boarded raised section:

The raised section still needs some cut-outs adding, hence the pencil lines. This is so that cars can be retrieved when de-slotting occurs underneath:

Then finally, I had to admit that I could do no more tonight. I was tired, cold and fancied a beer:

Sorry for the reams of pics, but I did say it was pic heavy!

I have more thoughts about next actions and also what I have done so far, but I will post that later...

Feedback, critical or not, is welcome.

Cheers

Micah

(PS: With special thanks to Richardtheforth, and of course all you lovely people that have helped with suggestions so far!)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, a couple of things that I am planning to do next.

Firstly I will be cutting out the top board just to allow enough space for curbs. This will eventually have banks coming down so that it looks nice and natural - although, thinking whilst typing, this could then pose a new problem of still not being able to retrieve de-slots...hmmm.

I also purchased some black paint to paint the boards black. This will give me a good base to work from. I have previously used the scenic grass you can get for model railways, so will use some of this at some point.

I need to build permanent up and down ramps for the track, at the moment it is loosely supported as I wanted to make sure it worked first!

There are a few pieces of track that will need a deep clean, digital definitely doesnt like dirt, but thats no big problem. I can use WD40 right?

Anyhow, thats just my musings for now...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So today I had planned a full day of track tinkering, but real life took over

So I only got an hour or two at most.

I concentrated today in cutting the raised boards so that access to the track underneath was far easier. Then I started on the supports for the "up ramp" at the rear of the board.

Bearing in mind that I am about the least DIY minded person, I'm pretty happy with what I have achieved so far.

So, here's the proof:

The new cutouts:

A top board for the ramp, just trying for size:

The new supports, screwed into the base board for stability:

The ramp board rested on the new supports, yet to be secured:

Would love to hear your comments...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok,

So I secured the boards today and then got on with painting the base board, starting to look reasonably smart:

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
looking good, keep up the good work.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Michael363672 @ 31 Jan 2012, 21:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looking good

Do you have enough room under the elevated section to see the cars ?

Michael

Hi,

Yes, there is room to see now. There wasn't before I cut out the sections of board at the top. However, it does require slightly more careful driving around that section!

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Hi Mike, It's looking good, amazing what a couple of days off work can do.
Go higher with the raised bit if you find it difficult to get at the cars below...
Hope the 3 of you are having fun!
Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (raikkonen_webber fan @ 1 Feb 2012, 00:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i see a few places for a racing line CLC

Hi RWF,

Yeah thats definitely the plan to add some straight lane changers. Where would you suggest i put them on that layout?

Also, question to everyone! > Would you put any further elevations under the track? Not to raise it as in make it a new level, but just to make it hilly, much as a natural track would be?

Thanks

·
Registered
325 Posts
A clear case of too much track in too little space?
Sometimes less is more, but it can be quite difficult to see...

The view of the CLC is blocked by the elevated track. (no silly, I'm not talking about that CLC, there is one in the lower track too, so look again!)

The view of the side swipe is blocked by the elevated track on top of it.

Both will make for some spectacular crashes (albeit the one from the CLC nearly invisible to the drivers) So the cars will be disappearing into the corner and getting damaged by the stonewall... Or in case of the sideswipe crash into the pole that holds up the upper track or disappear into the stonewall with great bodyworkscratches (if you're into that)

Too bad nobody made some remarks about it earlier,
But since you finalized it by making it permanent, I think you're having fun with it anyway, so keep on going with what you're doing

Best regards,
Martin

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (MartinT @ 1 Feb 2012, 18:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A clear case of too much track in too little space?
Sometimes less is more, but it can be quite difficult to see...

The view of the CLC is blocked by the elevated track. (no silly, I'm not talking about that CLC, there is one in the lower track too, so look again!)

The view of the side swipe is blocked by the elevated track on top of it.

Both will make for some spectacular crashes (albeit the one from the CLC nearly invisible to the drivers) So the cars will be disappearing into the corner and getting damaged by the stonewall... Or in case of the sideswipe crash into the pole that holds up the upper track or disappear into the stonewall with great bodyworkscratches (if you're into that)

Too bad nobody made some remarks about it earlier,
But since you finalized it by making it permanent, I think you're having fun with it anyway, so keep on going with what you're doing

Best regards,
Martin

Hi Martin,

I see what you are saying. The side swipe is actually far more visable than it looks in the picture, and I may move it along by a further straight, if that makes sense.

With regards to the lane change on the bottom section, still deciding what to do with this one. Again, it is more visable than the pictures make out, but still not ideal. I may switch it out for standard curves in time, perhaps when I have added a couple of straight lane changers, as is my ultimate plan.

Whilst I have secured the boards, as I really like the overall feel of the layout, the track is not fixed in place so it can still be altered.

Thank you for your feedback tho!!

Much appreciated as always.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So just the one update today.

Added controller holders, which still need painting. Also recieved some other barriers today, but these will come in a later pic... (just too darn cold to do anymore!)

Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just a quick update.

Started to mold some of my hills today.

So I measured and cut out some thick card so that i had the correct surface area for my hills, which will be surrounding the raised track.

Then a stuck down some bubble wrap/packing material to give me some shape, and then went on the good ol' papier mache!

Only got as far as the first couple of layers...

These will have more layers applied and then will be painted and covered in scatter grass.

More updates to follow...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, three pictures showing the development of what is now known as Metro Hill.

Now being covered in scatter grass:

And the hill in place:

There is still a lot to do, and I am working on another hill which will go near the two hairpins.

I have also ordered a Dunlop bridge, (cliche I know), and I have ordered pieces for my pitlane.

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Woah... Speedy work there! You certainly don't hang around do you?
Can't wait to see it all finished.
Cheers,
Richard

PS I like the controller holders!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (richardtheforth @ 15 Feb 2012, 12:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Woah... Speedy work there! You certainly don't hang around do you?
Can't wait to see it all finished.
Cheers,
Richard

PS I like the controller holders!

Lol, I dont know where I got the idea for the controller holders though!!??!! Any ideas?? Ha ha ha!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts