SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Julius Wilkko
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi!

Thanks for the link, trulli98. Bathurst fever is rising again, this would make very nice routed track. At mountain section tracks could be routed very close to each other making overtaking possible only at lower straight sections. If anyone of you Ozzies have built a Bathurst replica, please post some pictures.

Cheers!

Julius

· Registered
2,785 Posts
Hi Guys.
Some of you may not realise that Mount Panorama, ( Bathurst ), racing circuit is public roads !!!!.
I have actually driven the circuit, 4 laps, when on a trip down under a few years ago. You drive through a leafy suburb, under a banner saying "Welcome to Bathurst", turn right, and you are on the grid !!!!.

You cannot believe how tight it is over the mountain, and how narrow and steep the track is.

I actually overtook a Volvo down Conrod. The wife was slightly un-nerved at that !!.

And dont forget the vineyard and tasting counter in the infield !!.
vbr CJA

· Registered
477 Posts
Doncha just love Bathurst?
My bride of 21 years and I spent a weekend at a B&B at the top of Conrod (where Dick Johnson stays) not so long ago. I've driven the circuit a few times since the early 'seventies and this last time was hands-down the best. My favourite photo is of my beloved steering her Megane over Skyline. My only regret is that I didn't get a pic of her spearing through the dipper.
(I've also been a patron, many years ago, of the defunct drive-in theatre on conrod but you don't really need the details).
It's a real race track in the suburbs (albeit of a regional city) and an experience not to be missed.
If anyone who lives near, or can get to, Bathurst, NSW, Australia...do it.

Speaking of the Philip Island Armstrong 500s, I would really love to recreate the grids from that era. My first experience of TV coverage of motor sport (and, I suppose of motor sport in general) was from Melbourne TV station GTV9's coverage of at least one of the races-- I think I was about 14.
I was a pimply-faced apprentice in a Ford dealership (New Oakleigh Motors) when one of the two boss's sons bought the '62 second or third place (I think) Xl Falcon to use in rallies.
I know it's really silly to lust after Renault 750s and Dauphines and Studebaker Larks and Ford Anglias and NSU Prinzes and Lloyd Alexanders and Hillman Minxes and Triumph Heralds...but that's the time I got into motor racing and, in my dotage, I'd really like to relive it. So there.

· Julius Wilkko
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi!

No_logo, thanks for the link. I have once seen it somewhere, but it is a good idea to have all the Bathurst links in this thread.

One idea came to my mind. Has anyone used Google earth to find the Bathurst. Anyone got the coordinates?

Cheers!

Julius

· Julius Wilkko
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks!

I can see that the track is there, but the picture is quite blurry. We should ask those Google guys to get one satelite to make a low pass over Bathurst.

Cheers!

Julius

· Premium Member
5,696 Posts
QUOTE (trulli98 @ 15 Jun 2006, 08:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hey driver#8 its actually like the 18th time or somthing they go to pukhoe in newzealand and the went to shanghai last year but yeah are you going to bahrain to see them?

Hey Trulli, sorry I've missed out on this thread for a bit!

First time out of Oceania then?

I'll be there - working at the circuit! Hope you've caught the 'Bahraini Experience' tents at the races. It's going to be an awesome weekend for the race fans here.

· Registered
115 Posts
Here are some pictures of my Mt Panorama circuit. I know they are not great, but I am hoping to get some better ones soon but you can get the general idea.
Gazza, Where did you get that track layout, it is what I used to design the track before I built it and I thought I had the only copy.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.