SlotForum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always having had a soft spot for the 1966 Batmobile so I couldn't resist this Polar Lights kit.

Though the kit is moulded in black plastic it still requires painting to get a nice finish. The decals were a nightmare to apply, but with a little bit of luck I managed to get them to go more or less where I wanted them.

The kit is fitted to a PCS32 chassis with plenty of lead weight. The Batmobile is very quick on my track, but I now realise the motor I used from my spares box is actually a Scalextric 30K sport motor.

I used Penelope Pitlane alloys and the inserts supplied with the kit.

A very nice kit and always good to have something a little different.

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Lovely car Pace!
Very unusual subject.
Sad fart fact...The bloke who played Alfred the butler in the 1960s series was a cousin of British PM Neville Chamberlain!
Kapow!
Kev.

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,588 Posts
Good job on the decals Pace !
I have one of these that has not progressed since I painted it months ago. Word on the street is that the decals were a bit pale - did you enhance them at all?
Where did you get the dynamic duo from ?

Kind regards, Leo

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
Looks good Pace, great job..

Still working on my Polar Lights kit, hopefully finished soon.

Keep up the "unusual" conversions....

All the best.. Martin.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I read a review somewhere (possibly that other forum?) that said the Polar Lights kit was slot, poor plastic construction (i.e. will break easily), sad/bad wheels, terrible tires, as sluggish on the track as the 1:1 original due to the metal chassis etc. etc. which made it sound like a poor purchase.

Would those who have bought the SLOT CAR version please advise us on their experiences?

Thanks.
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for the comments much appreciated

The decals are as supplied with the kit, these are nice and bright and fortunately didn't require any additional painting. However, they are quite fragile and would tear very easily. The Batman and Robin figures are the ones supplied with the kit and just required painting.

I've just received the Green Hornet's Black Beauty also made by Polar Lights,so I will probably get on and start that one in the next day or so.

·
Registered
120 Posts
This is interesting.. as i have the polar lights kit (xmas pressy, which ive yet to do!).. was tinking about turning it into a slot car, which wheels did you use from Penelope Pitlane ?

Thanks - M

·
Pete Shepherd
1,689 Posts
Holy slot cars Pace that's cool! Nice job, well done on the decals.

Pete

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,588 Posts
Cheers Pace, I hadn't noticed the figures in the kit - mine does have them.

Apologies for stupid question...

Leo

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's good they included the figures, though Robin with his arms sticking out in the air was a little fiddly to fit. It's a shame that the Black Beauty kit isn't supplied with a figure.

The wheels used, if memory serves me right, are the Penelope Pitlane (PPCL) 14 x 6mm alloys.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Pace,

I also had a soft spot for the 1966 Batmobile and was lucky enough to get one of these,
but I bought the Slot kit rather than static from Polar Lights.

The plastic bodyshell is fine for what I wanted, but I am having trouble getting the metal chassis to perform at all,
and was planning to switch to a PCS32 or other scalex donor.

Please do you have any chassis pictures?

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Hi, bemused
Several of us have worked with the metal chassis as-supplied
and ended up with reasonably well-behaved cars. In my case,
the biggest changes were changing the gearing and swapping
the stock tyres for urethane clones. I did several other things
including changing from the supplied plastic bearings to sintered
bronze but I think the gearing and tyres had the biggest effect.

Should you decide to stick with the stock chassis, let me
know and I'll make you up a set of urethanes for the cost
of the shipping (I'm guessing around £3).

cheers,
John

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Hi /

I have the Batmobile and green hornets car. Please can someone confirm if it is necessary to paint the bodyshells? I'd prefer not too if possible.

Thanks

Matthew

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi, as requested please see below a picture of the PCS chassis as requested.

With regard to painting the bodyshell, both the Batmobile and Green Hornets car are moulded in black plastic, but I found to get a nicer finish I sprayed both my kits black and using a grey base primer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts