SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes, got the control tower and the Shell sign.

Thinish card - thiner than Scalextric Sport for example - but stiff enough if on a layout and not being chucked about every day.

Easy to build and look good, especially if you want a continmetal feel. Follow instructions (I didn't so missed out internal floor and glazing) but still okay. Looking forward to new pit buildings coming soon.

Scott

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
The pit buldings are already out, got mine from MRE. If you want to improve the card buildings then it`s a good idea to back them with balsa wood. Glue the card onto balsa with PVA glue and then spray with matt varnish on the outside and they last a whole lot longer. The buildibngs are based on the old Nurburgring I believe? They do the job and it`s easy to fit lights inside to finish them off.

If you want to spend more money but get a true to scale model then check out the SRA buildings at Get Slotted. I designed them but no longer own the business as I sold it to Paul Leyser.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I asked a similar question here a while back but didnt get any response so I went ahead and bought the pit buildings (£11 from MRE).

They were easy enough to put together in a couple of hours, you just need a good straight edge like a steel rule and a tube of UHU glue. One point to mention is that glue points are not indicated in the instructions and not having any experience with card buildings I was gluing together walls that were ultimately retained by another piece of card !!. So, it is perhaps best to look at the construction a few moves ahead before gobbing loads of glue on any old surface !!

There is an additional sheet consisting of advertising banners and a sheet with toolboxes and stuff....oh, and a couple of overhead lights. The addition of the adverts and toolboxes add a bit of colour and life to the rather bland buildings and you will also have plenty of adverts left over to stick onto other stuff like barriers.

The only thing I am not so keen on is the railings on top of the building. they are just black lines on white card and do not look at all realistic. This instantly shows up the fact that it is made out of card. Adding some adverts helped though and I am sure putting a few spectators on top will also help cover them up.

I can take some pics and e-mail to you if you like.

Overall, I am happy enough with it and will be buying the full pit building/tower/office but will replace the staircase with a scratch built one.

One other thing to know is that Bauers current range is based on buildings from the old Nurburgring.

Hope this helps a bit !

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Take a tip from an old sweaty model maker! Don`t use UHU it`s hard work. Best to use PVA or a variant supplied by model railway outlets for fixing card buildings. A Prit Stick also works well and if you find a part takes ages to stick or will not join then use super glue and mix a little spit with it using a cocktail stick. This makes the super glue set instantly. This technique works well on fiddly bits of broken car parts too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts