SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts

Not my cup of tea. And I am a Ferrari fan.

I'm not familiar with the actual car, but the headlights and body thickness and other little details have that Carrera "look & finish" which in my mind makes their models lean toward the TOY side of the equation.

I shall pass.

ps I am guessing these are Europe only and we won't see them in N.A. (or does Mattels liscence not reach that far back in history - just curious?)

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
They are Carrera Jon.

I loved the look of the real thign and also of the preview pics that I have seen, but the ones above make them look too toy like again, which is a REAL shame.

I will have to look in person but from those pics alone the size ( depth from body )of the headlights and the gaps in the bodywork alone put me off.

Damn! I was looking forward to those too.

Anyone got a sample for me to look at?

·
Jim Moyes
5,077 Posts
Just been to my local supplier and picked my pair up, along with the aero Nascars and red GT 350 Mustang. I think maybe seeing them in the flesh would change your mind. The body looks good enough to me, perhaps chrome headlamp rims would've been better. Biggest problem for me, and the dealer guessed what I was going to say before I did, is the horrible looking black motor mount hanging down underneath. Carrera could possibly help here by designing their boxes so that the car sits down on it's wheels rather than just dangling there in mid air. If the motor has to sit so low to give more scope for interior detail, then I think that is also wrong. As I have said before on another forum, in my opinion all this detail comes at too high a price.

They are my favourite period of motor racing cars, the war upto the late 60s. And they are very good for the money. I picked up the 6 cars for probably about the price some of you would be prepared to pay for one highly detailed resin car and I will not worry about racing them in anger.

Cheers Mr.M

·
Registered
168 Posts
Oh I definitely like these cars, even if the fine detailing might be a tad thick. 50's sports cars are so voluptuous, and these epitomize over-the-top Italian styling of the period. As I stated at SCI, I really admire Carrera for producing unique models that not everyone may care for. I can only hope they keep it up and expand their Mille Miglia line with other cars of the period.

mp

·
Jamie Coles
515 Posts
Mr M - was that your "local friendly slot car dealer"!

I remember seeing these in the Carerra catalogue and wanting them - the exact replica deatiling won't bother me so much - I just hope they will perform well on the track.

Obviously (hopefully) I will find out soon, but are thgese with two magnets or one - as supplied by manufacturer and the axle width will probavbly determine how they fare again, say the Maserati and the Aston.

Wow - almost serious comments from me - perhaps the name change has done me good!
Cheers
JC

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
Er?

Butt ugly Ferrari anyone?

No, not the Enzo. (cheeep shot!)

I guess making big money earners like Schummi's F1 stallion, the aforementioned Elbow and the dollar harvesting Superbird might allow Carrera to be a little more adventurous like this. Fair do's.

May they rot in Artin hell though if these 50's cars are as stuck down and fleet of foot as the Bentley. These cry out to be cornered on the throttle with their tails in the breeze.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
QUOTE May they rot in Artin hell

OOOH!!! Handbags at the ready folks!

I spot a brand pet hate change for Wankel !

I hesitate to even start this but , Ok I will bite....

Actually no..I won't hijack the thread and I remember these poor sods were the topic of one of the way too long and nasty threads on SCI that made me stop posting for awhile.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The Americans love it!

The Italians will buy it!

Noddy fans in the UK will want one! (Noddy fan =
)

And the Germans buy anything that looks weird!

So another winner then from Carrera.

What would we all be saying if Scalextric came out with this?

An interesting thought!

Moped

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
QUOTE What would we all be saying if Scalextric came out with this?

Er?

Butt ugly Ferrari anyone?

No, not the F40. (cheeep shot!)

I guess making big money earners like the aforementioned F40 and the dollar harvesting Corvette might allow Hornby to be a little more adventurous like this. Fair do's.

May they rot in Artin hell though if these 50's cars are as stuck down and fleet of foot as the Bentley. These cry out to be cornered on the throttle with their tails in the breeze.

I think that is roughly what I would be saying.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
When I first saw them, I thought they were plug-ugly, but they have grown on me gradually and now I rather like them.
Lots of character and no mistaking them for anything else, which is more than can be said for many an LMP, for instance, which tend to rely on the paint job to tell them apart these days.

When mentioning curvaceous Italian sports cars and rust to one of my German friends, he opined that they are made from the recycled thighs of Italian ex-actresses!
Who says they have no sense of humour!

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Saw one of Mr. Material's Ferraris tonight and have to say it is better in the hand than on the screen.

Resisted aero NASCARs in the hope that other, more attractive liveries will follow, but maybe I'm too used to the Fly way of producing a livery for every man than Carrera's apparently more restricted approach. Surely an STP livery can only be a matter of time, yes?

Scott

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Like most of us Farnham chaps we all had a look at this car last night and i agree with Mr Material, the top of the car is very nice, but the side profile looks like some cheap DIY slot car made up on a borrowed chassis that was never supposed to fit!

In my opinion they would have been much better off, ditching the interior, moving the motor up and having a much nicer side profile! - but what do i know!!!

The other daft thing is the mounting method to hold the car in the box, it's massive, again spoiling the side profile.

Of course none of this matters if you are going to race it, but to be honest i doubt it will be better than the Maserati A6 GCS.

·
Registered
168 Posts
"What would we all be saying if Scalextric came out with this?"

I don't know what WE would be saying, but I'm sure one vocal cheerleader would be turning cartwheels and claiming they were the "car of the year." The point though, is that Scaley would NEVER produce unique cars like these.

mp

·
Matt Tucker
3,561 Posts
These are growing on me and I like the idea of them being modelled on a curvaceous thigh. Before Carrera came out with their 2003 releases and some pics came out I'd never even heard let alone seen any of these. Bascially thank you Carrera for expanding my historical knowledge and making me spend more money!

I agree with speedweenie that Scaly wouldn't (maybe in the future?) produce something as obscure/unique to the general public.

Tuck

1 - 20 of 54 Posts