SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
A Baja beetle has been on my "to do" list for a while now. I wanted to use some beefy tires and a Ninco suspension for "the look". Last month at the Naste Carlo Rally in and around Portland I saw someone with a Ninco Ford Fox RAID truck that had everything I thought I needed. The chassis , once the outside bits were removed would fit under the AIRFIX VW I had laying around. I bought the RAID truck on sale. Next I needed to match the wheelbase. This required 5 separate cuts to the stock Ninco chassis... a reduction of nearly 16mms. I needed to cut down the drop arm a bit as well. The Beetle body was cut down like a number of Baja bugs I had photos of.

I scratch made a VW engine to fit in the cut away rear. This was made from Plastic card, bits salvaged from other static models, aluminum tubing and rod. The wiring came from some Detail Master engine wires I had. The driver is a modified Tamiya Military figure from The British Special Air Services Jeep kit. I dremelled off the driver's Keffiyeh turning it into a pudding pot helmet. I still need to add a co-driver. Paint was done with Duplicolor Black automotive primer (for the matte black) with the yellow and red over... not my best work. As a work in progress... it needs nerf bars and tail lights before I can call it done.

I can't wait to get it to the track to see how it runs

Greenman62

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Nice one GM,

particularly like the down-draught carb ( Dellorto's ?? ) air filters.

Smart.

Like it.

vbr Chris A.

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE Are you going to bring it to Monty's BBQ on the 5th? I'd love to see it in person.

Sure! I only hope he still has his rally track up so I can run it there!

Greg

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
wow! that scratchbuilt engine was a master touch. superb! and you,ve just dismissed the tremendous amout of chassis work in two sentences, talk about understatement. john

·
Martin De Ath
1,440 Posts
A great build Greg, well done..

I especially like the scratchbuilt engine, great detail..

The whole VW Beetle conversion looks excellent..

All the best.. Martin.

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I decided to leave the nerf bars off for the time. Here are shots of the car with the finishing touches... driver, co-driver and tail lights.

Greenman62

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE Nice build! That looks like a ton of fun to drive!

I haven't a clue yet... I finished it the week and I haven't got a track set up at home.

Greenman62

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
I put it on the track last night. Loads of fun! It's a little loose and bouncy... something I kind of expected with the big tires. That said it's nothing that would make the car undriveable. I also lost one of the over head driving lights on an underpass (gonna resolder it). It's a keeper!

QUOTE Love it. I'd pay for one of those.

PM me...

Greenman62

1 - 20 of 22 Posts