SlotForum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,377 Posts
Jasperok, I think you are off to a fantastic start. That doesn't look too bad to me.
You can experiment with settings to make support easier to remove. I typically run a Z offset of 0.3mm which helps everything separate more easily when I print flat on the plate like that. Also, running with minimal layer height (0.06 layer height for FDM) will improve your surface finish. To be very frank, the quality of the model dictates the finish more than anything else. For inspiration, this is a pretty good Lola T70 file printed in PLA at 0.06 layer height.
If you print vertically, whatever side is toward the plate will lose some detail dur to support adhesion, so be aware.

Vehicle Hood Wheel Toy Car

As Cdub has pointed out, filler primer will help. FDM prints are porous and a couple coats of primer helps to seal things and then ease the smoothing. I have also used a soak in Future / Klear to help level things between primer / color coats. I haven't ever used filler, as it adds quite a bit of weight....but that's my preference. All of these 908s were FDM printed for a proxy we ran last year and you can see differences in finish / printing layer heights. But the cars were quick.

Motor vehicle Toy Car Vehicle Mode of transport

For the first one, maybe you just want to run it before you worry too much about smoothness....I know some of my early cars are not as smooth as these later ones. So build it and run! There was an interesting chassis with a captive pod for an FK180 motor that might work under that car with some shortening (easy to do in CAD).
Body posts are just like any scratchbuild...I don't add them to the body since chassis choice varies and it's easy enough to glue them in later.
As far as thickening.....how thick are you thinking? A nice thin shell can be quite light (10g) and make a reasonable car. I wouldn't go much thicker than 0.6mm, they get heavy quickly.

Good luck, and keep posting your progress!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts