SlotForum banner
101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Targa Freak
936 Posts
Hi Mr Flippant,

the track is powered and working. I used an old Ninco powersupply to give constant voltage and ran it with some of my scorpius-chipped cars and throttles digitally.
What I meant when I said 'the project hadnt been continued' was that I didt complete the scenery. At least some trees and a bridge missing and the island still looking like a birthdaycake. Some more work would have been necessary. But the main goal of this track was to show the freaks in the forum how easy things can be done and how inexpesive routing a track is. In my opinion the goal was reached and most of the trees- and sceneryquestions had been answered by many builders here before anyway. So I thought that it wasnt necessary to go on further more and invent the weel once more.
Eventhough not perfectly completed, everybody should feel free to ask if something remaind unclear. Every question welcome!

Regards Jens

·
Greg Gaub
14,985 Posts
Whew! That's good to know.

I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping for a photo of the track in it's current state, even if it's unfinished. I'm also a big fan of video of cars moving, especially on such a beautiful track.

·
Registered
48 Posts
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 3 Feb 2014, 19:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This track never got powered up? How sad.

Hopefully you can finish it some day soon. It deserves to be brought to life.

I was thinking the same thing. The whole thread was very interesting and informative, but my ignorance lies in how to set up the electrical side of the track. So, I was disappointed this wasn't covered along with the woodwork/routing and scenery building.
Maybe someone could add to this thread showing what you need as far as wiring, the best way to attach copper tape or braid, etc. Is it best to use an existing power supply from a brand name slot car track like the Ninco power supply you used, or is there a way to do this more cheaply with self-assembled components?
Or if there is a thread or youtube video someone knows about that covers the electrical setup for a routed wood track in depth, can you please post a link to it? Thanks!

·
Targa Freak
936 Posts
Hello and sorry for not answering to the question. Been off the forum for a while. I didnt cover the electric side of the setup because it depends on the way one wants to do that and what fits ones needs. I took a old Ninco powersuply (You can get them on Ebay for less then 5 Euro any other will do the job, too) 12V, one side of the slot positive, the other one connected to negative, car chipped (ready to run out of the box or made up by your own), thats all. No magic. Regards Jens. Further questions are very welcome, I will do my best to answer them in time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm finally getting rid of the old Ninco track and routing a new one. This thread is a huge help. I only have one question. Where can I get the Lexan strips? I lied. Second question what size are the strips? Third question. Is there something else that would work?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Look up Mr Flippant here on the forum (Greg Gaube) - he sells the routing strips - I won’t ever do a track without it!

Reactions: MrFlippant

·
Registered
258 Posts
Over here in Germany you can buy cheap plastic coated aluminium pipes in a hardware store which are used normally for underfloor heating installations. Easy to bend in every direction. Drill a hole every 15cm/ 5inches and you can screw this pipe gently onto the MDF sheets and route them.

Sorry, no better image available...
Best regards,
Thomas

·
Greg Gaub
14,985 Posts
Once bent, do they return straight, or must you straighten them again somehow, and inevitably end up with "straights" (or worse, your gentle curves) that have little wiggles in it?

·
re member
4,139 Posts
I'm finally getting rid of the old Ninco track and routing a new one. This thread is a huge help. I only have one question. Where can I get the Lexan strips? I lied. Second question what size are the strips? Third question. Is there something else that would work?
I used 12mm 600psi air line hose however if there is a next time I will use the 10mm version due to a few unwanted minor wiggles or maybe the lexan strip that Luff gave me when I visited him once a few years back when travel was possible

·
Registered
258 Posts
Once bent, do they return straight, or must you straighten them again somehow, and inevitably end up with "straights" (or worse, your gentle curves) that have little wiggles in it?
These pipes keep the form you have bent it into. As long as you don‘t tighten the screws too much there are no issues with wiggles. With the screws you can fix any curve you want to have or make a long straight.
Best regards
Thomas

101 - 115 of 115 Posts