SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am waiting for the Evolution figure 8 set to arrive and thinking about my next moves...

It seems possible to currently allocate a permanent space of 80x200cm, with the thought of very soon extending it to 80x300cm. Of course it is better to wait until I get my hands on it to see practically what is possible or not, considering the Carrera track sizes, but I wanted your experience on whether I could create something of interest in that space or not. It could be also elevated in order to pack more.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Yiorgos, 80 cm is very narrow, so maybe some thought is required, Carrera is the biggest track of them all. you might have been better off using Scalextric maybe. anyway lets not be negative. Im thinking of a figure of eight but it is going to be tight, depending of how strict the 80 cm is, if its against a wall then you may have problems but with tight bends I think it should be possible. going to be interesting.

Anyway good luck.

Martyn

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know how playable this is (seems a bit hard), but I managed to create a 11 meter track in an aprox. 90x300cm space. It's not very realistic, but with the current space limitation it might suffice.

I just added the digital 132 starter pack and 2 of the 1/3 straights. I used all the parts except for a normal straight.

This is my first attempt using this amazing online tool. I wish someone made a similar tool for Policar tracks so I could see what I can do with their tracks in the same space.

So what do you think. Is this playable?

Product Automotive tire Organism Font Material property

·
Greg Gaub
15,779 Posts
That's going to be very stressful on the joints to achieve a 3 level overpass and underpass in such a short distance of track. You'd be better off just making a long figure of 8 track of some kind, if not an oval with a wiggle on one side.

Line Slope Font Asphalt Rectangle

Green Organism Rectangle Font Line

·
Greg Gaub
15,779 Posts
With a pack of larger radius turns, R3 or R4 especially, your options open up a bit more, and you can do a fairly nice figure 8 track.

Organism Urban design Font Asphalt Terrestrial plant

or...

Organism Urban design Rectangle Font Asphalt

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. I am officially obsessed. Just found another piece of software and spending hours here. This is another version.
The point now was not to use the material from the sets, but to find out what could be possible in the given space.

What I found very interesting is that it took me a very long time to make this.
Organism Slope Font Rectangle Pattern

On the other hand, the first attempt was with Policar tracks and I made it incredibly faster. I think the problem with Carrera is not the width, but that they don't sell smaller chunks. It is so much more modular and easy to make a track with smaller parts.

This is what I got first with Policar, which looks more interesting in my humble opinion.
Rectangle Slope Font Grass Terrestrial plant

Ok. No sleep for me till next year. I need to see a doctor! I think half of the fun is designing these things!!

Cheers

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha. I am sure I'll get there soon. Playing a bit with the son, and then running to the designer! Crazy. What did I get myself into! o_O

·
Registered
132 Posts
That’s awesome. Can’t wait for mine to get here. I bought an extra 21 feet of track so I can expand when we put our new building up. What track building software did you use?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I started with an online software softy bahnplanner which works pretty well for Carrera. But soon I found rail modeler which works for Policar and other tracks too. The free version is fine, but if I get more involved I’ll buy the pro version.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Happy new year and good health to everyone !!

After a long wait I just got the evolution set with Pixar Cars which looks like this:
Colorfulness Ecoregion Rectangle Slope Font

Of course after several hours of fun, I am now at the drawing table. Following Greg's very good idea, I was looking to add a couple of R4's and straights to make an extension that fits in my space. This was the initial plan (thanks Greg!) that would cost me an additional 70 euros and I would use all the pieces from my set:
Azure Rectangle World Map Font

After using the set I don't like very much the idea of an overpass (for now it's on a carpet and very wobbly) and would rather have everything laid down. I played a bit and it seems I managed to squeeze one more straight in there (which will certainly make the R1 corner more dangerous!). This requires to ditch two of my R1's and get several other pieces. This version is a bit more expensive at 115 euros:

Ecoregion Rectangle Slope Organism Font

Any comments as to which would be better playable? I think I prefer the last version, but I am not sure if after this long straight, entering into an R1 is a good idea.

edit: Perhaps I can make the left R1 into an R2 or somehow make it more gentle like the right one, or just leave it as it is for variety?

Thanks!

·
ParrotGod
9,878 Posts
I think your elongated figure of 8 has a more interesting flow. You last design (the one without overpass) needs some kind of chicane or S before the last corner.
But you are very limited with space so it is not going to be easy to fit into it unless you can make it a but longer.
If you are still playing with layouts, get a set of R2, R3 and R4 corners so that you can experiment more freely.

·
Greg Gaub
15,779 Posts
I think a mirror of that last one would be good. That way the first part of the turn is not so sharp.
I mean, I still prefer the figure 8, but I understand wanting not to have an overpass.
One way to save money is to buy just one pack of new curves, and see what you can do with that limitation. It seems like you already have become proficient at shuffling the pieces around, which is pretty much the basics of it. I've seen some pretty amazing things with mostly R1 turns from sets and a single pack of some other turns. At least that way you don't spend a lot and have track you can't use any time soon.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Grunz and Greg,

I will play a bit with the software but most probably will go with Greg's version as the R3 curves are out of stock.. It will be fine for a few months. Also will save a bit to get better controllers. Very disappointed with Carrera's quality.

Currently looking for boards for the base, which will be put on top of two IKEA shelfs. The shelfs are half the size of the board, so I am wondering what thickness I should get it so that it stays straight and does not bend from the weight. I will most probably getting plywood. 4mm, 8mm, 15mm ?

Here is the shelf, two of which will support the board. It is 150cm long and 40cm deep.

Cabinetry Furniture Shelf Rectangle Shelving

The plywood piece is 250cm long and 120cm deep, out of which I will make a 300cm and 90cm deep board.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So after getting new furniture in and just before getting and cutting the plywood I am on the verge of reconsidering my decision to go with Carrera. 🤷‍♂️

It seems that the 300cmx 90cm space is manageable but aesthetically not very nice in my sons room.

I am back at the drawing board, and even thought of getting Carrera Go! In order to keep one side maximum width/depth 60cm. Actually I have seen some really beautiful setups with Go! The only downside for me - for now - seems to be the limited car choice .

Anyway, the solution I came with today regarding the plywood board is to start with a 90cm long width that will gradually after 3 meters conclude to 60cm.
This gives me enough space to be more creative and aesthetically works best.
Oh and use Policar tracks. More expense.. I know.

But now new questions arise.

1. I already feel that Carrera R1 turns are quite harsh and I know Policar’s R1 is tighter. Is this really playable/enjoyable?

2. Currently I have 2 adjustable power transformers that connect to the 2 different tracks. My son plays at 7.5V, me at 9V. I see that Policar’s power supply although adjustable feeds both tracks at the same time. How can I change it in order to have different fees for each lane?

3. Can the triple guard rails be attached to the main track or do I need to put borders first. In this case is there any modification that I could do to attach them on the track?

4. Is it possible to use the Carrera Evolution controllers with Policar, by changing the plug? I guess that would work.

Well . That’s it for now. For the last month I have an open shopping cart with Carrera evolution tracks for expansion and a couple of F1 cars. Glad that I haven’t made any further purchase yet.

Still debating . My son loves the track.Could also try a foldable board on the wall and keep Carrera.

The new year started with big dilemmas!! 🤦‍♂️

1 - 20 of 46 Posts