SlotForum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I do completely understand that and can remember being that age myself. Completely enthralled with it and than a diminishing interest. I do however feel like my interest would have remained if my dads interest had. Once he lost interest playing by my self was only captivating for a while. Then it was back to the sandbox with matchbox cars and my friends.

Many years later I came onto a HO slot car set in a thrift store and for some reason I just had to take it home. That $10.00 set rekindled my interest in slot cars. Then I got a friend to join in my excitement and soon he had a track. That went on and grew for 10 years until I made friends with someone who was into the larger scale cars and ran on wood tracks. I went with him one time to run on a wood track with these larger cars and I knew what I needed to do. Sell my HO stuff and build a wood track.

I tell you all of this in a hope that it will in some way help. Spend as much time as you can with him in whatever direction you decide to go, but the important part is the spending time with him. I think as long as you maintain the passion for it he will to. As I found with my son he may loose interest for a while, but if you don't he will come back around to it. My son lost interest in hanging out with dad and playing with the slot cars for a while, but at one point his friends would get excited about the track when they came to the house and then he would get exceeded about it. I used that opportunity to introduce them to slot cars as they should be enjoyed and some of them wanted to get more involved. That gave him a chance to be the slot car big dog amongst them and his interest blew up. Now we have races ever other Wednesday night and one Saturday a month.

I sure hope whatever path you choose leads to you spending much quality time with you son.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Thank you insane speedway. That is indeed inspiring.

Not very clear from the photo but the plywood rests all the way length-wise on these selving units.

I am not very technical with woodworking, so was wondering if it makes much difference if i fill the existing gaps with smaller pieces of wood (option b)
or as I have seen it in most table frames, remove the existing wood in order to fit a larger piece or two AND THEN put the perpendicular wood. (option a)

Rectangle Wood Font Material property Parallel

·
Registered
229 Posts
En la foto no parece que descanse del todo sobre la estantería, al menos en anchura.
Si probara algo, me vendría mejor la opción A, pero no creo que sea la solución, como te dije arriba.

Yo también monté mi pista pensando en mis hijos de 6 y 10 años y quedamos enganchados a la afición, al poco tiempo entré en un club y ahora no puedo dejarlo.
Mis hijos ahora tienen 16 y 20 años y no creo que se enganchen nunca, las nuevas tecnologías los han vuelto locos jajajaja

·
ParrotGod
10,582 Posts
Either alpha or beta option is good.
I would recommend adding it because in this way you can also attach to it a barrier all along the perimeter.
This not only will stop cars from reaching the floor (in most cases) but also will allow you to install or fabricate controller holders.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts