SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello,

I'm very new to this forum and this is my first post.

I've read a lot about analoque lap counters en start lights and I'm very exited about it.

I took my old scalextric classic track from the attic to give it a new life. At the moment I'm replacing some of the tracks for the Scalextric sport types. But my butged is nog very big.

Now I was wondering how can I make the track more interactive....

The 2 things I really wanna add are strartlights and lapcounting via RMS. It would be very nice if I can cut the power by a yellow flag moment but that is something extra.

I see a lot about arduino with RaceCoordinator I think that is the cheapest option. But the problem is, I'm not a programmer.

Af course I can by the Scalextric Arc AIR, but whatabout the startlights?

My quastion is what is a good option? maybe there are more options than I know.

Does anyone have a manual or turtorial or something like that how to make a lightbridges with startlights en lapcounter with arduino?

I hope I've clearly described it.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to the comments.

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
With RaceCoorinator you don't need to be a programmer. Everything you need comes with the RC installer, including both old school led support and RGB led "neo pixel" support. RC is free so there's really virtually no harm in starting with it and going to something like PCLC if you don't like it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With RaceCoorinator you don't need to be a programmer. Everything you need comes with the RC installer, including both old school led support and RGB led "neo pixel" support. RC is free so there's really virtually no harm in starting with it and going to something like PCLC if you don't like it.
Sounds very nice. Yesterday i installed RC just to look at it and i saw a simple wizard where you can select witch pin of de arduino board has wich function. Is that everything you need to do?
The neo pixel thing is very cool. i saw some video's of it and it works very nice. Is there something like a manual how to set up? or a wirediagram or something like that?

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
The neo pixel support is new and in beta. There's no documentation on it yet other than a post in the RC Forum talking about all the supported features and how they work. You may or may not have to modify the sketch to get the neo pixels to work. It depends on which rgb leds you buy. RC defaults to what I think are the most common ones. It also defaults assuming you connect your strings to A0 through A4, but that can be changed very easily in the sketch w/o knowing anything about coding.

The only way to know how its going to work for you would be to put the RC sketch on your arduino and try it out... There's a readme in the "data\arduino" folder where you installed RC that will walk you through that.

-Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The neo pixel support is new and in beta. There's no documentation on it yet other than a post in the RC Forum talking about all the supported features and how they work. You may or may not have to modify the sketch to get the neo pixels to work. It depends on which rgb leds you buy. RC defaults to what I think are the most common ones. It also defaults assuming you connect your strings to A0 through A4, but that can be changed very easily in the sketch w/o knowing anything about coding.

The only way to know how its going to work for you would be to put the RC sketch on your arduino and try it out... There's a readme in the "data\arduino" folder where you installed RC that will walk you through that.

-Dave
Thank you very much. I will take a look at the post about neo pixel. let's start with buying a Arduino Mega board en maybe en relay board to. And of course some leds and things like that.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Thank you very much. I will take a look at the post about neo pixel. let's start with buying a Arduino Mega board en maybe en relay board to. And of course some leds and things like that.
I have just been working through this for the last few days. I don't think you will need the Mega board, an Uno should have the number of outputs required. I bought a generic Uno board from Rapid Online - but will buy and test an even cheaper Amazon sourced one at some point.

Following the instructions from RC was easy - I do have some programming experience but have never used the Arduino platform before. Just download the Arduino program editor, drivers an .ino file with their installer, plug the board into the computer, open the script supplied with RC and hit the download button. I think I had a little messing about with the correct COM port, but I think even that essentially solved itself. Within half an hour of opening the package of bits I had RC recognising the board and able to see a state change in the set up screen on one lane with a photo transistor.

I've added links to the components I bought in the thread here: https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=187355

1 - 8 of 8 Posts