SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 247 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Hi, me as a huuuuge Porsche fan just recognized I had focused too long on the classis such as 908 and 917.
Now as I have bought some Scaley packs with DTM Mercedes realized these drive great and look gorgeous.
So, now I need some actual Porsche stuff - preferred 911/997.

I race as said on Scaley track, big curves, long straights, 2x16V Scaley standard power. And I race with magnets! Tires are usually changes to Slot.its as attached to their current cars below the boxes.

What should I get? Scalex? Ninco? Carrera?
Any recommendations?

btw. nice look is important, too
(like the red 997 from Ninco, the Flying Lizard from Carerra...)

Thanks mates!

· Registered
5,910 Posts
Oh, good question.

I have no experience (yet) of the new Carrera or the new SCX, but of the others I'll offer up an unusual choice - the old Proslot car.

Now, they are not super detailed but they are light, low and quick-ish.

They are also tuneable, if that is your thing, with easy access to the workings.

That said, I have a great fondness for the Fly 911/934 range, especially with no magnet on Scalextric sport track as it slides beautifully.

· Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I'm quite the 911 fan and have owned almost all of 'em at some stage. I'll run through the pros and cons of my 'keepers' (by the way I run on Scalextric Sport track with no magnet or as little as possible)

Scalextric Porsche RSR - The original 1970s 'Turbo' model is a great looking RSR replica if you want to put some work in on detailing it. Even if not, the snarly, rattly old sound and perfect controllable slides that got me addicted to Scalextric in my youth are no less addictive now. If you love slot racing you have to have one and they go for pennies.

Fly Porsche 934 - Looks a million times better than the Ninco version IMO and has the motor in the right place... for a 911. I run mine with the magnets, which puts them at the top of my lap times on a regular basis but I want to explore Scott's mag-free way of running them.

Carrera Porsche 935/78 - These take some fettling - as per my review. True the hubs and the tyres, remove the rear magnet altogether and push the front magnet to almost halfway. In this configuration mine lap as fast as a stock Slot.It Porsche 956 - but then they have less power and more weight to cope with gripless Sport track

Scalextric Porsche 996 RS - Yes they are too tall and too narrow (the traditional Scalextric failing until recently).. However they are a LOT of fun, particularly without magnets. Lovely balance and available in any colour scheme you like.

Carrera Porsche 997 GT3 RSR - A must-have for me as these are the best looking competition Porsches in years IMO. Carrera has captured the big rear wheels and brutish arches wonderfully. These cars have the new bigger guide so unless running on Carrera or routed track you need to shave width off them, shorten them and take away some of the depth to run cleanly. Again true everything, glue the tyres and run with minimal magnets and you have a great-looking and consistent car.

I'd very much like to add a 997 GT3 Cup car to the collection, and am torn between the SCX and AutoArt versions (the Ninco's just a blob IMO). The SCX car looks right and I know it will go right without magnet, but for all the criticism AutoArt has received my Lamborghini Diablo GTR is a scorcher.

But which is the best of all? For me the Carrera 997.

· Registered
138 Posts
Guys, fantastic replies, especially from our driver#8

Great to have some 911 fans with us!

I already considered the AutoArt as a friend has it and likes it a lot on his Carrera track.
However I think I'll follow the recommendation and go for 1-2 997 from Carerra first - will change tires to the Slot.its.

SCX is a no-go for me now, as the last 2 cars I purchased are a mess...

btw: driver#8 what's the picture from in your signature?

· Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Hi JP.x

Glad all my waffle helped! Scott's certainly got me thinking about running my pair of 934s without magnets - wasn't recommended when the first reviews were made, but maybe stock tyres and Sport track can cure the deslots.

As for my signature pic, it's the advert for Chris Rea's movie 'la Passione' about a kid growing up in the north east of England in the 1960s dreaming of glamorous red cars from Italy. Not the best movie ever made but it brings together Shirley Bassey and a near-perfect replica Ferrari 156 'sharknose'.

Col - apologies for my typical 911-ism, and while the Fly cars look sensational I do like the fact that the motor's behind the axle too. Glad you're going to try the 997s and there are lots of ways to set them up of course. My choice is to dump the rear mag and keep the front one but finding the way you're happiest is all part of the fun isn't it? Enjoy!

· .. Leo A Capaldi ..
2,464 Posts
Aaaargh...
The Carrera version of the 997 is not in stock yet (Pendle and MRE) :-(
Guards Red road car for me.
Shirley Bassey and Ferrari 156 sound good to me also.

Totally agree with the old Scalextric RSR being a good basis for a good car. The old "Spanish Scalextric" 911s have a nice charm, even with the tyres sticking far outside the arches. Love em all, 911 is the ultimate sports car imho, sadly the image does not suit me.

· Registered
446 Posts
We run a class just for the Scaley GT3s, and they are a lot of fun. I have several of the Scaleys including The Flying Lizard, Team Sabah, DeWalt, and New Century. I also have an SCX 997, and two NINCO 997s. The NINCOs are the fastest runners. I have a NINCO 934 Brumos, it isn't as fast as the new 997s, but it is still fun to drive.

Tom

· Registered
36 Posts
I think the Scalextric Porsche 911 GT3R is a great car for home circuits. I can't get them run well without magnet, so therefor I leave it where it should be.

Oh and I collect every livery of it, that's how great I think these Scalextric cars look. There are 38 liveries in my collection so there are only two left to go

The Ninco Porsche 911 GT3RS is a great car for tuning. I like the way the car is looking with the wheels getting so deep into the carrosserie.

The Carrera Evolution is also a great car for home circuits or of course for circuits where magnatraction is allowed on club circuits (that also counts for the Scalextric Porsche). The Porsche 911 GT3 RSR is looking great in paintjob and looks. A little lower on the track and the car would be perfect. There's no room for tuning, as Carrera built in a large chip and put the engine inline.

The yellow AutoArt Porsche 911 Carrera S (Typ 997) has great lights on the front and on the back. The engine is actualy put behind the rear axle. The magnet is very much needed to keep this car on the track and I can advice to give the car sufficient lubricate for a smooth ride.

I never drove with my AutoArt Porsche 911 GT3 RS, but I like the looks of the car very much. In this Porsche AutoArt built the engine before the rear axle.

The SCX car is on its way

· Registered
550 Posts
My Racer 935 is the fastest thing around my track by a considerable margin, a terrific car!

I also recently got the Scalextric high impact 911-997 GT3 RS in orange with black wheels and it is proving a lovely smooth runner right out of the box on my wood track. I plan to add a little weight to it and sand the tyres and I reckon it will really fly then!

· Registered
1,330 Posts
Another vote for the Scalextric Porsche RSR 935, all for the reasons Driver #8 mentioned; I love the huge drift you can achieve when driving this car.

Furthermore, I am a big fan of the SCX version and more recently, I would say Fly tend to capture each Porsche model best; whereas other manufacturers sometimes model the car too flat or too tall. If I had to pick one for driving fun, it would be the recent SCX 911 GT3; soon to release the racing version:

Image courtesy of www.slotadictos.com

Not sure about the inserts though.

James

· Premium Member
4,741 Posts
Nice idea for a thread! I'm not a Porsche fan, as I've said several times here on SF, but I do own three and plan to buy another two shortly. Why? Dunno really
As Jeremy Clarkson once said (on TV) 'I'd rather have a big penis sticking out in front of me than a big bum'.

When putting together my small collection of rallycars in readiness for my valley I bought this one because I couldn't resist it. A Fly 911

I bought this one specifically to race at Noviello slot track, so no chip...and I want to win! This is the car that serious racers use and one of the few homologated in Italy. A Slot.it 956 which will be painted up in La Porta Verde trim.

And I bought this one by Scalextric to make up my GT grid, but I hardly ever use it.

...and the two I intend to buy? Well, my fleet of Ferrari and Lamborghini super resistants are great and I thought I'd buy a couple of the Porsche versions in orange to go with them and add a bit of variety. If Scalex bring out a green DBR9 as a super resistant then I'd buy two of those as well, like a shot!

1 - 20 of 247 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.