Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
We're 3 guys just starting out.

We have bought 3 sets of SCX Pro Competition (30+ meters all together), using Pro controllers with 20 ohm resistors. We all have the SCX Audi R8 "Sport Japan" with Pro motor, and the Dome S 101 Judd "Holland". The latter is my current favourite as it really sticks to the track, unlike the Audi R8 which has too little tire contact.

We're going to race F1, and Rally, and also Le Mans, GT, and DTM - but I'm a bit confused about some overlaps between these three classes? We're going to *remove* the magnets on Rally, but *stick* to magnets for all other races.

So what's the best car performance wise (acceleration, top speed and ability to stick to the track) in each category? Basically I want to smoke the others when we have tournaments, but I'm lousy at building or modding stuff myself.

This is what I'm considering right now:
Rally: SCX Ford Focus and SCX Peugeot 206 "Sweden"

·
Registered
543 Posts
for no-mag rally the scx are great choice

formula 1 go scalextric. unless you plan to spend on aftermarket parts. never mind. scalextric is way to go.

for DTM the new scalextric are good. scx mercedes and opel are also good choices if you want to tinker with the cars.

LeMans get scalex MG lola or Lister LMP. or Spirit Reynard 2kQ. one good thing about the scx audi/dome judd is the adjustable magnet, with the right adjustment these two can keep up. FLY Lola B98 is also very fast.

for GT get the new FLY Viper. FLY Venturi and Porsch GT1 are also good. Scalextric TVR 400 is good.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Erm - how old are you guys?

If any relation to the signature pic I would recommend also looking into Ninco for cars, they cover most classes you mention and are not so easy to break as some of the above mentioned beauties.

Quicklistfrom my perspective:

Ninco for DTM and Rally cars

Fly for GT

Scalextric for F1 and big boys DTM

SCX for Rally and LMP

·
Registered
36 Posts
I sold all my SCX Rally cars as for drifting an fun you cant beat the scalextric Scoobys, Magnet fully foward, remove self centre guide spring, cut guide to allot with to spin fully around and I have the most fun car I have found yet. So much so I bought the new yellow scooby and set it up the same way. Also added a pair of slicks on the back for a little more out of corner grip!!

U do need run offs for ever corner!!!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Schnuz - I can endorse taking the mags out o the SCX rally cars. I love 'em. SCX do a lot of cars for a reasonable price that are too much damn fun to play. My son is 7 and if he can't break 'em...

The F1 cars I'd stay away from SCX. The steering is "fragile". Of course once it snaps I have bits for "Kit-bashing" so Chris & his mate get to play with them.

Right now I'm in the middle of a "Fly" buying binge for everything else.. not in a club by the way - just having fun!

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts
SCX Rally cars (with the magnets where they belong, i.e. in the bin or on the end of your screwdriver) rule. No questions, no quibbling.

Only thing is when buying them nowadays you have to be careful of the motors installed. Recent releases have an RX-81 motor that revs higher and will walk all over the older motor, which, to keep you on your toes, is also called RX-81. Bless 'em.

The way to tell the difference is to look at the font that has been used to label the motor, on the later ones it is slightly larger than the earlier ones. Now, that little tip is only of value to you if you can compare two together, since how will you know which is the bigger? The other way to tell, and this will really tick off your retailer if you ask to check, is to take the motor out, flip it over in your hands and take a look-see at the aperture in front of you - on the modern ones the metal of the can is oh, so slightly wrapped down, into the opening.

Easy, huh?

I'm not sure that any of the Focus models will have this trick motor since I don't think we've had any 'new' releases of the Ford (any dealers out there know?), whereas the 206 is definitely available with both powerhouses. Buyer beware!

Well worth the effort when you get two that are on a par.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I think I'll go SCX for the Rally cars. Ditch the RX-81 engine and buy the 4x4 Pro Motor - is it easy to install a new motor and is it a good idea at all in Rally cars?

These cars are on my list so far, please comment on them (good or bad).

·SCX Ford Focus "Sainz-Marti"
·SCX Peugeot 206 WRC "Sweden"
·Fly Racing Saleen S7R GT02 (no magnet?)
·Slot.it Audi R8C Roll-out "Snetterton" (no magnet?)
·Proteus Lamborghini Murciélago
·Fly Oreca Viper
·Fly Ferrari 512 S "Monza"

Haven't found any F-1 except from a SCX De La Rosa (which some people don't recommend?)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi!

I've got the Slot.it Audi R8C (and I think a lot of the folks in here have them as well). Its one of my absolut favorites. It's fast, it handles well and looks good. I've just installed Slot.its light kit in it so at the moment Im racing with all lights out

Godt at se nogle danskere herinde

Morten

·
Registered
446 Posts
The Fly A54 Chevrolet C5 Speedvision Coupe is superb fun and has great speed. It can get great slides eve with their super magnet in it. Great fun right from the box.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (FZR1000Exup @ 15 Sep 2004, 20:10)I think all the SCX rally cars that come with Xenon lights have the "hotter" motor installed. Not entirely sure though.

Yes, I would think so too.

However, that's still a RX-81 v2, and the 4x4 Pro Motor will ultimately be quicker I would assume.

·
Registered
53 Posts
QUOTE (Moqtev @ 15 Sep 2004, 19:11)I've got the Slot.it Audi R8C (and I think a lot of the folks in here have them as well). Its one of my absolut favorites. It's fast, it handles well and looks good. I've just installed Slot.its light kit in it so at the moment Im racing with all lights out

Godt at se nogle danskere herinde

Morten
Yes, I gathered it was quite popular.

How easy/difficult is to install the light kit as I'm a spastic with a soldering iron?

PS. Ja ik?!

PPS. Thanx for info Mr. Max, any idea if using pro braids will help anything, or is it just hype?

·
Registered
446 Posts
No, I don't know if the Pro Braids-I taking a long shot at guessing but I would've guessed that the braids are made of a material that has better conductability.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi schnuz!

You don't have to use a soldering iron at all to install the Slot.it light kit since everything comes presoldered. You have to use a 3mm drill (and a Proxxon or Dremel drill) and some superglue.

...and follow these instructions:

Install lightkit

Morten

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks!

More importantly: how about installing the Magnetic Suspension Kit, since I guess that's a must on both the Slot.it Audi R8C Roll-out "Snetterton" and Slot.it Mercedes Sauber C9?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts