SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my 15' x 5'6" track and want to finish it off on three sides with a scenic backdrop, nothing too fancy, grass & sky effect will do, the reason being as you can see there is bare brickwork behind it which is not only very hard but rather ugly. So I just wondered what members could recommend for a sheet material that would be rigid, cheap of course and easy to work with and paint. I guess something around 18" to 2' high would be about right.

And yes, I know the doggie's cute!

Thanks

Dave

·
Tel
4,094 Posts
3mm hardboard should do it, a full sheet (8x4ft/2440x1220mm) would be enough to make a 1ft/300mm tall backdrop on 3 sides, get a couple of sheets if you want it higher.
Should only cost a little from your local builders merchant (homebase etc will cost a lot more).

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have used mat board (for framing pictures), especially as I can get it for 1/2 price. It paints up nice and would bend around a corner, but would require some bracing. At the minimum, a strip of the material wound be needed on the back to span seams.

I have also used the back side of vinyl flooring...purchasing a strip of the stuff can be pretty cheap. Select one with minimum texture on the backing. It also requires some bracing, but turns corners nicely and has no (or perhaps one) seam.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
3mm MDF can frequently be picked up for free at the local joinery/cabinetmaker. It's often used as packing protection for more expensive sheets of wood and veneer.

Backdrop itself can be painted or made up from photos in your collection. Blow up a high resolution panorama pic to the size you want and print it out on several sheets using either matt photo paper or high resolution paper. Glue them to the MDF backing with spray adhesive and possibly apply a protection coat of matt acrylic.

One of the Aussie lads, KarKraft, did exactly that on his Bathurst based track using photos he took of the skyline at Bathurst. I don't know if he still looks in here or not, but here is how the backdrop turned out. Finishes off the track nicely. Here is an exerpt from his track build thread from Auslot.

QUOTE (KarKraft)A new feature, the backdrop of Bathurst:

The whole thing. Twelve photos mounted on an mdf board.

Embs

·
Bill Beggs
1,947 Posts
QUOTE (uksqueezea @ 8 Sep 2011, 02:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Painted these clouds on a large blue roll of material.

Not near the quality but works for me. It is very thin white hardboard from Home Depot. I just brushed/ wiped some blue Crayola and added a few birds.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Folks,

Some good tips there and some great looking backdrops, can't wait to have a crack at this because I think the track really needs it, stay tuned

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
Like your track mine is also in the garage, as a cheap solution to hide the red bricks I used Peco backdrops stuck to a few sheets of hardboard which I painted sky blue.

I think the whole lot cost no more than £15 including the cost of the Peco Backscenes and is certainly an improvement over the bricks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts