SlotForum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm creating digital rallycross track, so have decided to take the magnets out of all my cars to allow them to slide, but would desire a little weight over the braid to stop them falling out quite so easily when sliding!

I've read about forms of ballast in cars but wondered what's best in cars for keeping the front down, but allowing the back to move around more - would blue-tat work when stuck over the braid/on the underside of the car bonet?

·
Marc Abbott
1,912 Posts
The best ballast is lead. You can cut it to shape easily and it's also fairly flat.
You will want to keep the extra weight as low as possible in the car - so if possible only stick it to the chassis.

A good place to start is placing it just behind the guide area.

However, have you tried all the normal tune up tips before committing to adding extra weight?

ABBO

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, would you know of a place I could get cheap lead which is 'adjustable' for slot cars?

And I've tryed sand papering the tyres and softening them up slightly which has helped but would still be nice to have something extra to keep the braid down when the car slides at a large angle.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Blu-tac is a handy item for initial trial ballast. It's malleable and can have it's position changed easily. When you're happy with the performance of the car, take the blu-tac out, weigh it and replace with lead glued in place with hot-melt glue or double-sided tape.

You can buy specially made adhesive lead sheets from your favourite slot shop. Or you can visit the local roofer/plumber and get some lead roof flashing from him. Flashing sheets are easy to work with, cut with scissors and are of an even thickness.

Embs

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Or you could use slot.it tungsten putty! Purpose made for the job. It's extremely dense so you don't need much of it, you can mould it to the exact shape of the target area and it's self adhesive. Job done

·
Marc Abbott
1,912 Posts
QUOTE Today it's tungsten, twice the weight of lead

Looks interesting. Once I've finished with the 3 metres of roofing lead I bought 2 years ago, I'll give it go

Never heard of it until mentioned here - does look like a good product.

ABBO

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Slot-it Tungsten putty!!

·
6,455 Posts
Tungsten putty is dashed expensive, even if it's from the fishing shop rather than the slot shop. I'd rather keep the cash for more cars and use the cheap option.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Agreed, I wasted my money on Slot it tungsten putty; it was crumbly & not sticky enough especially you have oil/inox/grease splashes,
Blu Tac - great
Lead sheet (NSR) different thicknesses for a couple of pounds but with double sided tape I had the same problem of adhesion as above - so now I Blu Tac it in (I haven't got a hot glue gun)

·
Tel
4,032 Posts
I Use wheel weights, available in various weight sizes, self adhesive and quick to add/remove

Ebay or your local tyre depot may be able to help.

G

·
Don't forget that lead is poisoning your environment, avoid having it on your hands to much. Very small bits can be easily overseen so handle with care when cutting!

·
6,455 Posts
QUOTE (Savage @ 21 Dec 2011, 05:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I Use wheel weights, available in various weight sizes, self adhesive and quick to add/remove

I tried this one. I asked my local purveyor of rubber donuts about wheel weights last time I had a car to him to change it's footwear. The weights he uses are now precast, large, square and steal(ish) and come in only 5g and 10g units. Not really suitable for the task at hand.

Someone at one stage mentioned golf club weights. Fishing sinkers are ok if you hit them with a hammer.

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
I just go to a local plumbing supply and buy lead flashing, they cut it off a large roll by the metre. Anyone repairing roofs should be able to help, lead flashing is used on tiled roofs.

·
Tel
4,032 Posts
QUOTE (Ember @ 20 Dec 2011, 21:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I tried this one. I asked my local purveyor of rubber donuts about wheel weights last time I had a car to him to change it's footwear. The weights he uses are now precast, large, square and steal(ish) and come in only 5g and 10g units. Not really suitable for the task at hand.

Someone at one stage mentioned golf club weights. Fishing sinkers are ok if you hit them with a hammer.

THe ones I have (found on ebay) are small (18x9x2.5mm) 2.5g ones, I believe they were listed as "motorcycle wheel weights" and are lead free.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts