SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is your favourite track for home racing?
Artin22.94%
Carrera1420.59%
Ninco1319.12%
Routed Copper Tape1319.12%
Routed Magnabraid34.41%
Scalextric Sport1319.12%
Scalextric Classic913.24%
SCX00.00%
Other11.47%

·
Registered
67 Posts
may be a silly question but here goes

Why is it better to have the copper braid rather then a magnetic one? You can always take mags out of cars but you don't have the option of using mags with copper. Is the conductivity higher enough to make a difference that you notice?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
An excellent question, the results so far puzzle me; Home tracks are often twisty with short straights due to space constraints. Magnatraction imho is a great benefit for home racing, so it is interesting to see that many do not think so! It allows tight curves not to interrupt the speed too much

·
Registered
800 Posts
Not a silly question at all.

With routed tracks you have four options. Old world braid, new world magnetic braid, copper tape and steel rails. Rails are used primarily in HO scale but being from the HO world I had to mention them

The old world braid is excellent material. Normally it is made of tinned copper wire but can be bought untinned as well (corrodes fast though). There is a silver version too but that gets pricey. It's pros are: Long lasting, excellent current capacity and easy to work with. Cons: Costs money, needs a routed groove and needs glue to hold it down.

New world magnetic braid is one step better in that it is more versitile. It actually allows cars using magnetic traction aids to function in all their glory. It is commonly made of tinned copper wire and steel wire strands added to the braid. Pros: Long lasting, excellent current capacity, easy to work with and magnetic attraction for those that race
Cons: Costs more money than regular braid, needs a routed groove and needs glue to hold it down.

Copper tape is a decent option. It lasts well but can't handle abuse. Pros: Incredibly easy to work with, usually is self adhesive and not very expensive. Cons: Can't handle abuse.

Steel rail is used primarily with HO cars. I won't go into detail but if you race HO, use steel rails in your routed track, it is awesome. Braid is nice but it doesn't compare to rails on HO.

I must admit I am biased, I prefer magnetic braid.

I will race anything with a motor so I do NOT scoff at magnet racers. However, since I do race anything I don't knock non magnet racers either
I prefer magnetic braid because, as was mentioned earlier by andy, you don't HAVE to use magnets on it. You can race the slower cars too
However, if you don't use magnetic braid you're stuck with one type of car and what good is that if you want to race anything known to mankind with a motor?

Both magnetic braid and non magnetic braid have more than enough current carrying capactity to feed even the nastiest of Fergy's strap motored '60s F1 cars so don't worry about high amperage burning either one out. I can't honestly say I know what the current capacity of copper tape is but I'm sure it's enough for most cars. Besides, non magnet cars set up properly don't draw nearly as much amperage.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
QUOTE Both magnetic braid and non magnetic braid have more than enough current carrying capactity to feed even the nastiest of Fergy's strap motored '60s F1 cars
I wouln't be so sure about that Bill
Otherwise a great run down

The nicest track I ever had (back in the 70's) was routed into chipboard (aka particle board) with copper tape. I agree with Bill though: these days magentic braid keeps your options open - that's the way I'd (like to) go.

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
As my home circuit is made up entirely of Scalextric Classic I had to vote for that, but having done that I must say that the Ninco track is excellent. The two clubs I attend both use this and seems to be very hard wearing and durable to the constant assembling and dismantling.

M

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Interesting results. Is the strength of the Carrera and Ninco brands (11 and 7, Scaleys 7 and 7 at time of writing) something to do with the appeal of Slotforum on the Continent do you think?

I voted Carrera because I've had my eyes opened to the joy of running on it and am currently picking up bit and bobs of track as I see it - looking forward to Xmas and any Argos sales thereafter!!

Still think the white lines are carp though. I'll have to get the thinners out and see if I can't remove them.

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
Peter,Im just going to paint my carrera with grey floor paint once its permenant ,Ive done this with other makes before and it works great and theres no white line you end up with a surface very close to routed

·
John Roche
4,236 Posts
QUOTE Magnatraction imho is a great benefit for home racing, so it is interesting to see that many do not think so!

Hi Astro,

Most of the cars i am interested in are from before the days of 1:1 ground effects so I don't want or need magnatraction. Using tape rather than braid means less work when routing.

John

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I think that the grey looks great. My next home track would be whoever brought out a track in that colour. Apart from that it`s gonna be Digital for my next home track to thrash it out. Up to now I`ve been a Classic Scaley man as it is still to be found at daft prices. If I was starting right now then Carrera or Ninco would be my choice.

I know this topic didn`t set out to achieve anything in particular , but 45 votes at time of my posting is not much of an indication to go on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.