SlotForum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got me thinking....

On your standard scalex setup, weather it be two, four six or eight lanes, which lane would actually be fastest? If there was a bridge to equal lane lengths, but a few corners swung it towards say the 'inside'

The inside lane would be shorter, but the outside would require less braking so you could take it faster. This probably doesn't apply for mag racing, but for non mag my current home layout (short as it is) gives the 'outside' lane a faster laptime.

Hopefully this makes sense enough for you all to discuss this with me

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
On virtually every club track that I have raced on, the inside lane has the fastest lap time, but I always do better in second-insidest, or third. I find that the outside it just too long, and going slowly round those wide corners winds me up. Give me sharp corners anyday. *nips up the inside*

Lotus

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Second insidest at Phoenix for me too, white lane =

Thats mag racing though, I'll see how the non mag race goes on tuesday.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Good question `young `un`. I think that the preferenc depends on driving style but have to agree with Lotus that the inside lane can be a bonus and is often the safest as you tend to get knocked off less on the inside. White lane at Phoenix for me evwry time ,both mag/non mag.

Recovered from the NASCAR racing last week then matey?

·
Registered
714 Posts
"Best lane" depends on several things including the particular track, the car, the controller, the Power Supply and YOU!

YOU is in caps because it matters very much which lane you personally consider to the best in that you will tend to drive at your best on it. It doesn't mean it IS the best, but if you give it your best shot compared with the others, then it almost certainly will be YOUR best lane. Not necessarily true for other drivers, even with the same car, same power, same controller etc. On the plastic tracks that I am most familiar with, I almost invariably get my best times in the outer lane of four, whereas a fair few prefer the inner lane and probably most prefer one of the 'center' two lanes.
So there is no universal answer to the question.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
our best lane is actually the blue which is the inside of the outer lane
our green aint that fast, well you have to know it.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
On most tracks, but not all, I prefer the middle lanes. The reduced variation in corner radius allows me to arrive at a smooth flowing, consistent rhythm. The disadvantage, when running with certain people, is that you are prone to a nerf at every corner on the track.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Very much so. Fergy is also correct I reckon as not many would choose the `extreme ` lanes in a one off race when a lot depends on it, i.e. a race meeting final.

As Gary will be aware I tried something tonite racing on the red lane at ours which is the inside lane. I drove slower into and out of the curves,adopting a less aggresive technique and keeping the back end straight,no sliding (non mag Slot It Audi). I had noted the points that Lotus made and found that because of the sharper and shorter lane length, I gained a quicker lap time and the car went faster when it didn`t slide at all. I won the race (trust me, it`s a one off!) and will try and drive like that again on that lane rather than my normal manic fast in and fast out. No need to race every lane the same way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts