SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi to all

A bit dismayed to find that some classic Scalextric track I had been storing in the spare room for the last year or so has started to get some spots of rust. It was bought new (old shop stock). This now means a lot of effort with cola and WD40.

I have a fairly modern house so it shouldn't be too damp and am wondering if a modern loft with ventilation is better than a spare room where moisture moisture from people, bathrooms etc. can get at it?

Should I move it up to the loft or not ?

Any personal experiences welcomed

Thanks in advance

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Wrap it in plastic or sell it off because by the time you get around to using it it will be finished.

Rick

·
Greg Gaub
15,365 Posts
Rick's not a big fan of plastic. ;-)

The best way to keep track from degrading is to use it regularly. Treating with a rust inhibitor line INOX MX3 has proven to be a great solution for a lot of people on many kinds of plastic track.

If your loft is not already in regular use for other purposes, or there's some spare room for another hobby up there, I'd suggest putting the track on a table and playing with it more often. Treat the rails with INOX MX3 and run cars on it whenever the mood strikes you. It will last a nice, long time.

It seems the worst thing to do is just tuck the track in a box somewhere and leave it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi, i purchased a few track pieces with surface rust.. (no pitting.) Should I rub the rails down with a fine grade emery paper and then WD40 ? I notice you mention using coca cola..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have read on lddiscounts site that Inox is non-conductive - so can a car be run on a track with inox applied or do you vave to rub it off first ?

Also - does anyone have any more input to my original question - "loft or not" for track storage (which is the best option to avoid rust)

·
Prof I T
11,196 Posts
hi
that's the strange thing about inox,it says non conductive but just read some of the threads about the stuff in the digital forum,it's been a revolution.

So i would be happy to store the track in the loft if it had inox applied but even happier to be using the track on a regular basis.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi FMS

i think it was Rikorocket told me that he keeps his classic track in the airing cupboard to stop the rust. not sure if he treats it first though.

i have a load of classic track up my loft and it is showing signs of a light surface rust . As Mr Flippant said best prevention is to use it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have bought and tried Inox. It seems to be similar to very light machine oil. The main problem I have with Inox is that it doesn't dry out. I am treating what is currently spare classic track that will not get used for a while and but having taken the trouble to amass it for the future it needs to be stored meantime. A lot of that track will be put into it's original Scaley carboard boxes and I think that the oily "wet" Inox will get on the cardboard and spoil the boxes. The unboxed track will also be put into a new-ish cupboard and I don't want that to get oil on that either.

Also I don't seem to be able to avoid getting the oil on both the underside of the plastic track (doing the tricky bits of metal underneath and also some overspill onto the upper track surface which doesn't bode well for using it for racing without having to clean it all off first. Is there a "gadget" to run on the rails that helps matters ?

Also - with my storage requirements am I better off with WD40 which does dry out or won't that keep the rust away long term ?

Thanks, from an oily-handed
fms

·
Prof I T
11,196 Posts
hi
only a very thin coat of the good ol inox is needed to protect so there should be nothing running off into your cardboard boxe's..

Probably best applied with a cloth and just passed over the rails....

·
1 hp Trabant is not my real car
770 Posts
Before I made a permanent layout in my playroomhome office, I had to store my track a lot of the time.
I am in a tropical climate, so corrosion is a problem.
I found WD40 to be not good enough for long (months) term.
I had good success with a product called CRC Longlife, it dries to a waxy surface, so needs cleaning off before use (I used WD 40 to clean it).
If you can get hold of some decent sized bags of sylica gel, and big plastic storage boxes, that will be ideal.

Mickman...do NOT use emery cloth, it will remove the plating. Once that is gone, you are dooooomed. If the rusting is more than just local spotting, the track is (imho) not worth trying to rescue. (Except you could consider copper taping it).

Cheers,
Tom.

·
Rich Dumas
3,669 Posts
I think Isetta has it. Plastic storage boxes and silica gel bags will do the job. I believe that you can skip the CRC treatment if you do not live where it is very damp all of the time. Wiping the track sections down with WD-40 before you put them away would be an extra precaution. My basement can get humid at times and running a dehumidifier has kept my track in good condition for 12 years.

·
Greg Gaub
15,365 Posts
Sounds like too much INOX to me. If you're applying it that liberally, you should be wiping off excess with an absorbent material, such as a paper towel.
I apply INOX to my track with a nifty little contraption using an old guide blade and some self adhesive felt called moleskin. Here's a link to a description:
http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=538830
I still remove excess, though, even with such a light application.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
As nobody here has ever been in your loft, then the only way you're going to find out is to stick a bit up there and check up on it in a few months. The only trouble with stuffing it in the loft is you'll never get it down again until you are 96 years old.

Alternatively, stick it in a big plastic toolbox with a fairly tight lid from your DIY superstore and pop it in your spare room with some silica gel sachets in it.

And if your house is damp then open some windows!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for some really useful inputs.

I'll try using minimal amounts of Inox. In the absence of adhesive moleskin (will look out for ith though) I have an idea to use an unused SCX track cleaner I have (it was included in a job lot I bought) by oiling up the cleaning pad instead of using the SCX fluid

One of these :
http://toys-us.com/hitem-SCX+1-SLASH-32+Track+Cleaner.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.