SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

At the moment I have only 2 cars
scalextc evo & scooby rally car. I have tried different mounting points for the mag and tried removing it all together. The cars just fall of the track without a mag and with the mag on the foward setting the cars drift a little. I am thinking about buying some scx rally cars. Are these better for difting with there 4 wheel drive system??

Thanks

·
Jim Moyes
5,046 Posts
QUOTE (jimgym @ 18 Jul 2004, 12:10)I am thinking about buying some scx rally cars. Are these better for difting with there 4 wheel drive system??
Yes, Jimgym, they really are like chalk and cheese! Particularly when run non-magnet. The SCX cars have a very strong magnet, and though it is supposedly adjustable, all settings have far more downforce than I think necessary in a rally car. Without mags they are great fun and will slide and slide without the tipping that the Hornby cars suffer from! Any of the 4wd cars in the range are good but the Citroen and the Peugeot are possibly the best.

Enjoy!

Mr.M

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mr Material UK

I am running scalextric sport hand controllers and power pack. Will they both be ok with scx cars??

Thanks
James

·
Registered
238 Posts
They will run no problem scx, ninco, fly, carrera etc. are all compatible with your scaley set.

One thing you might want to think about if you want more control, consider changing your std scalextric controllers to parma or similar. They will give you much more control and a more progressive response (less like the 'on/off' effect of the std controllers) and make holding your drifts easier.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Not to mess up your train of thought but if you want to drift more in the corners you need to increase you track and add weight to lower the center of gravity. Don't be bashfull with the weight either.

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
The best drifting, box standard (no modification) rally car I have is the Ninco Renault Megane. It has a 900 Gauss magnet situated just forward of the motor. Combined with an NC-1 motor, you can literally run it flat out round wide bends with the car sliding sideways (or at least you can round my track).

M

·
Registered
543 Posts
with mo55man. the ninco rally cars w nc1 and the old old old black magnet. or lead ballast in same location, with stock tires are the way to go for the drift effect.

was tempted by the siren call of SCX without the magnet but the motor/wheels/gearing all combine to make it hard to maintain a smooth power slide.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
You might want to try one of Ninco's RAID trucks - at least if it falls off the track there's a good chance it'll claw its way back on

Mark.

·
Matt Tucker
3,550 Posts
IMHO Rally = SCX

However I'm impressed by the ninco scooby with nc-5 and the clio although prefer the suspension glued in. All with approp weight give excellent power slides although some SCX require a bit more work on them ie extra truing of tyres and running in of motor and gears.

Favourite = SCX Xsara, then Ninco Scooby and then all other SCX rally cars

Matt

·
Registered
571 Posts
I notice that Scalextric rally cars have much narrower tyres than the SCX cars. Is this part of the reason why they like to roll rather than drift? I was wondering if anyone had changed the tyres/wheels and managed to get these cars to slide rather than topple!?

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Hmmm, methinks that the Scaley product probably has a higher centre of gravity which will make it topple more.

Fortunately I've limited experience of the Margate EVO whatever or Scooby Doo but I can tell you that both of these cars by SCX, once they have the magnet removed, are Kings of Oversteer!

Only, don't go buying a SCX Scooby off the web, you need to see it before you buy it to check the wheels are centred properly - they, SCX, had a complete and utter nightmare with these hubs and I had to buy two to get one set of sound wheels.

The heavier motor they use must help their performance, too.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
As regards SCX scooby wheels, I junked them and used some plastic slot it items. I did however dremel out the spokes from the SCX wheels and used them as inserts

Mark.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice reply guys

Got a load of scx cars on order.

I have managed to get my scooby into a bit of a drift king thought.

Magnet fully forward got the back end out loads, but then had the problem off the car tipping over when it got on full lock. This made it jump out the slots. I took the guide out and cut the top flanks out that stop the guide from spinning all the way around. My guide now spins all the way around and the car is great at drifting. Only problem is the car some times now spins out while still in its slot and also looses power. You can put the car on backwards with the guide in the correct way around and the car will reverse up to a corner and do a J turn and spin around and keep going

1 - 16 of 16 Posts