SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the 60's I had a Revell track. Now I am retired and need a hobby. I know nothing about what has happened between the 60's and now. I will be using 1/32 scale. I'd like to create a permanent course with hills, trees and all the trimmings. What would be the best track for this - I'd be using analog. Car recommendations would be appreciated too. I want to run cars from the fifties and early to mid sixties. This looks like a a way cool forum.

I am considering an L shaped table (9x5 with a 3x5 extension) I am interested in 50's early 60's cars.

Envision something almost like a hillclimb that winds up a mountain and back down again with a"speedway" section looping round and tieing it all together.

Leaning toward scalextric because I will need small radius curves.

What do you think?

·
Greg Gaub
14,648 Posts
How are you with tools? :)

Might be worth considering building a wood track. See how easy it is at www.oldslotracer.com

If you decide you want some of the tools, you can find them here (my site, as I currently make and sell his tools for him): Greg's Slot Car Site

If you really want plastic, or need it because you want to use traction magnets in your cars, then Scalextric Sport is not a bad choice for your space.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How are you with tools? :)

Might be worth considering building a wood track. See how easy it is at www.oldslotracer.com

If you decide you want some of the tools, you can find them here (my site, as I currently make and sell his tools for him): Greg's Slot Car Site

If you really want plastic, or need it because you want to use traction magnets in your cars, then Scalextric Sport is not a bad choice for your space.
Lots of good ideas there, one half (vertically) would look the vision I have for the hiil potion of my course.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think plastic track.. Scalextric... would be a great choice. Gives you a chance to change around the track until you find a layout you feel is worthy of scenery. Go Carrera if you think you might want to run 1/24 scale since it accommodates both. doesn't have as tight of turns as Scalextric thou. Carrara R1 is like Scalextric R2.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think plastic track.. Scalextric... would be a great choice. Gives you a chance to change around the track until you find a layout you feel is worthy of scenery. Go Carrera if you think you might want to run 1/24 scale since it accommodates both. doesn't have as tight of turns as Scalextric thou. Carrara R1 is like Scalextric R2.
That's what I was thinking, thanks for the encouragement.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Go for the Policar Track mate, same as wood(flat, smooth) but with lots of grip and if you get bored you always can change the design 😉

Cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tomm711, very interesting! I'm on the same point as you are: picking up the hobby again. With almost the same L-shaped space for the track. Have to figure out how big your area is with these measurements in feet.... ;-)
I will go for Scalextric because of the smaller track width and narrow curves that are possible. Not sure tey if I go for Sports or Classic since I want to paint the track.
So, mind if I keep on lurking here?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Policar track with borders - run magless when possible. I’ve got Carrerra and Scalextric as well and Policar in my eyes gives the best experience, similar to a wooden track but slightly more grip. For cars go for the Policar F1, thunderslot and even the Scalextric classics. I’m just building a small layout now with the Policar. My Scalextric has been a nightmare with changing temps causing it to warp and closing slots and a bit of corrosion due to humidity.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Another visitor back to the hobby after a long break and another vote for Policar. Does take a bit more space than. Scalex , but the R1 are really quite drivable. Once you have borders it gives lots of room for drifting , as others have said it’s like have a wood track you can change

·
re member
4,019 Posts
Like wood track you can change....is a statement I would disagree with.
The only thing like a wood track is a wood track.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I won't go for Carrera/Politrack since their curves are way too big. Of course you can only use their K1/R1 but then you get a very boring layout with all the same radii.
For me, a great part of the fun is having curves with a changing radius. Straight, 1 cure R3 left, curve R4 right, R3 right, R3 right, R2 right, and so on.
In this way, you get a fluid cire in which you can drift and is also fun to drive the opposite direction.

Carrera track is superb in all plastic tracks, for sure! But if you have a lack of space you will get a lack of changing curves.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Go for the Policar Track mate, same as wood(flat, smooth) but with lots of grip and if you get bored you always can change the design 😉
Indeed Policar Track is smoother than many types of plastic track and like all plastic track you can take it apart and build a different layout. However, it is plastic track not wood - Policar and other plastic track doesn't give the freedom in layout design that wood gives, and no plastic track is as smooth as the best wood tracks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tomm711, very interesting! I'm on the same point as you are: picking up the hobby again. With almost the same L-shaped space for the track. Have to figure out how big your area is with these measurements in feet.... ;-)
I will go for Scalextric because of the smaller track width and narrow curves that are possible. Not sure tey if I go for Sports or Classic since I want to paint the track.
So, mind if I keep on lurking here?
Yes keep me up to date with your progress. I am just at the planning stage. I have no bought or built anything yet. It will be great to have someone to compare research with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Tomm771, that's a good thought. I will.
I will make myself a Flickr account so I can share my plans with you.
Are you okay when I share some pictures and thoughts here? It's your topic....

·
re member
4,019 Posts
Something I have noticed with some plastic track designs is ......more track, more corners is a good track.
Sometimes less is more and a track with good flow should be your goal. I have seen some designs that are overly complex and seem to have corners and squiggles for no real reason.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I would go sports, it has deeper slots than classic (I have both), and modern cars with deeper guides don't play well with classic track because of this. Also you'll be buying classic second hand so the condition of the track might not be great. There is shed loads of decent condition sports track on ebay though or if you have the cash buy new from a supplier in one go using a discount code.

gl!

·
Greg Gaub
14,648 Posts
Excellent point from Portals999. If you've narrowed it down to Scalextric due to geometry options, then Sport is the way to go for that reason alone. Some people like the texture of classic Scalextric track, which I can't argue with, but there are plenty of tires that hook up nicely on Sport track. Better yet, slap some cheap latex/emulsion on the track in a neutral gray matte color, and it will have even better grip levels with most tires. Get the cheapest you can find, though, and be sure to clean up the track prior to painting. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts