SlotForum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
portals999: i shall be using sport track. I shall probably be buying used cars the I mainly interested in the 50s-mid 60s era, but I supposed there could be a modern retro car. Deeper slots never hurt anybody.

Jack_the_Slippe: Post away! the more the better.

Beardy: Great graphic! proves I need to go scalexxtric.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
The 50s and early to mid 60s car tend to be on the smaller size and not that wide so you shouldn't have a real problem with the tighter radius turns and you probably won't need very wide borders. I tend to be running vintage 60's cars and modern 50s and 60s cars which I run with no problems on Airfix track which also has tight R1 curves.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have been trying out various track designers. Does anyone know of one that can be dimensioned. I have an L shaped 9x5 foot space. I would like to know what will fit. It would also be nice to have distances calculated. If you have a gap between 2 track sections, click on one, click on the other and get the distance between.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I have been trying out various track designers. Does anyone know of one that can be dimensioned. I have an L shaped 9x5 foot space. I would like to know what will fit. It would also be nice to have distances calculated. If you have a gap between 2 track sections, click on one, click on the other and get the distance between.
Try googling "miscircuitosdeslot" its a database from a Spanish former road enginner, +1000 designs, Im sure you'll find something useful or at least get some ideas.

Cheers

·
David H
3,724 Posts
Beardy: Great graphic! proves I need to go scalexxtric.
Bear in mind that that graphic shows ten lanes for both Ninco and Policar, but just eight for Carrera and Scalextric. When you only consider eight lanes, Ninco and Policar are closer in space requirements to Scalextric.

At present though, new Ninco track is hard to find and doesn't seem to be being produced, although a few new sets containing track have recently been released to the market. Policar initially announced that its track system would have ten lanes, but pieces for lanes 9-10 aren't yet available.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
But anyway you look at it (number of lanes), a smaller radius is smaller radius. Given the space available to me I will require smaller radii.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
beardy56: I thought I had tried that program. Perhaps I was using an old version? Can you give me an up to date link?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Perhaps I should explain that I am approaching this the way a model railroader would, rather than a competitive or semi-competitive slot racer would. My idea is a hill with twisting roads leading to the summit, twisting roads leading back down, (maybe run along the summit) a straight or semi straight run along the valley below, and of necessity a semi-speedway to tie it all together. I want a relaxed early 50's/60's vibe: hey folks this looks a good course, let's have a race. Think hay bales not aramco

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Tomm711,

I recognize your approach in mine: more from the scenery side than from track side.
I like to figure out a lay-out for a smooth flowing track. But with lots of place for scenery. I guess when you want to do realy big evelations a L-shaped table is not easy to do. I'm struggling with a L-shaped table too and I think it's difficult to balance track and scenery. If you want to lay a lot of track it's becomming a plate of spagetti.
My table will be 1,2 meters deep, 3,5 meter on the long side and 2,8 meter on the short side. I won't go deeper as the 1,2 meter because you have to be able to grap a deslotted car.

I came up with this design:

The grid is 10 x 10 centimeter and the text is exact on the outside of the table.
It's not correct because I want the left-under to right upper straight to be on top and elevated about 40 centimeter.
As you see I don't like narrow curves but a smooth track. Nice wide turns in which you can make a drift.
Right up to right bottom should be curves with a little banking in it.

Shoot! ;-)

Best regards from the Netherlands.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Jack: that's a good course. I like the series of s-bends. Still working on mine, and learning how to use Ultimate Racer 3.0.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
3,5 meter on the long side
I'd start with a long straight on this part of track then take it from there. You have so many options, not sure the current design should be one of them, no offence but with that space you should be having one long full length straight, then work on the flow, compound curves are great but not if they make the driver sick :(

I won't go deeper as the 1,2 meter because you have to be able to grap a deslotted car.
Grabbers sort this out no problem, especially if you're running yellow flag. Use the space you have. (y):)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks Portals, you made a good point about the straight! I’ll work on that.

the 1,2 meters as a max is also because there has to be some space for a working desk, a couch, crate of beers and some friends.
But I got the point about the grabbers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
portal999:
What do you mean by flow? Do you mean consecutive big radius curves? Like Jack I like a series of s-bends, like old Riverside California course had back in the 60's.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I'm using ultimate racer 3.0. Can I make assemblies with this? An assembly would be for example, a left bend followed by a straight followed by a right bend, and the three of them merged together so that whole can be moved about as if it were one unit.

·
Greg Gaub
14,646 Posts
IMHO, "flow" is smooth transitions, and no unnecessary repetition or out of place technical challenges. A great example is esses. A design that incorporates a section where the track moves back and forth a couple times is good... but that same thing done 3, 4, or more times in a row, or even multiple times in the same lap, is detrimental to flow. A left-right-left-right-TIGHT-LEFT is a flow killer. A left-right (or right-left) at the beginning or end of a straight is fine, but putting them at the beginning AND ending of EVERY straight is annoying. A curve-straight-curve-straight, in order to make what LOOKS like a wider radius turn, is a flow killer, it doesn't work AT ALL like some seem to think it does. I've raced on routed tracks where these mistakes were made, so this isn't just a plastic track pitfall, either.

Keep at it, and keep posting your ideas. Whatever you end up with, don't nail anything down, or set up your power taps and scenery, until you've actually raced on it a bit, preferably with other people at the same time. The best thing about sectional track is how easy it is to change, but that ease goes away when you're invested into the work of all the other stuff.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts