SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To build the perfect track layout for 4 to 6 car racing must be a life time project and of cause very individual of how it should be. Try to think... can you imagine the top 3 tracks that you have tried for 4-6 cars?... share your experiences!

But I guess that common for everyone is, that we want some nice racing and excitement. So what if the requirements are especially on nice and supeb gameplay for 4 to 6 car racing? How would the track design be if you should create your dream layout with good possibilities for fighting other cars by chaning lanes at the right spots and thereby get the fastest lap time? It should be affordeble to change lane, and to overtake other cars. But how can a track look like so it really matters and so overtaking is a competence in stead of just a nice to have thing? I have searched for hours but have not found anyone mention how nice there track is because it have a strategic element... maybe it is just me who haven't looked good enough or missed something.
Please post your comments and pictures of what you think is a very, very good digital track with great overtaking possibilities.

(Thank you for at great web site!)

·
Greg Gaub
15,409 Posts
Good drivers. ;-) Everything else is really a wash.
If you want a track that bad drivers can stay on, take out all the lane changers, put in nothing but R4 turns, and turn the power way down.

Point is, even with 2 cars racing, people crash, both off the side and into each other, analog or digital.

Your best bet is to make sure YOU enjoy your track. Also, play some non-racing "games" that encourage good driving. Play a "who can stay on longest" game which is crash and burn and the last car or two still on win. Or play "follow the leader" where everyone follows the lead driver as close as possible without crashing (so learning what a good distance is), taking the same lane changers etc. Also start off slow and steady, then increase incrementally to more of a race pace. Every once in a while, have the last person pass the rest and become the leader.

In general, I recommend harsh penalties for crashing. If not crash and burn, then a LONG stop and go, or loss of laps, or a hefty delay prior to track call. You can also crash and burn, with a "one more try" pause in the middle of the race for those who crashed off getting put back on for the rest of the race. Or someone else's idea of poker chips to count a limited number of reslots during a race. Stuff like that. If you race with full marshals putting cars back on, there's little penalty for crashing. Also if you race with track calls for crashing, it really slows down a race AND is not much of a penalty to the crashers.

The track really doesn't matter all that much. Our club has a variety of large and small tracks, and it's just as much fun racing on all of them. We rarely race less than 6 cars, and that's only when there aren't 6 people to race.

·
Registered
96 Posts
What I've learned from my experience is that one of the layouts I had set up for quite awhile was simple but very challenging to race 4 to 6 cars. The lane changes were strategic in that in order to obtain the fastest lap you had to make a minimum of two lane changes per lap. This is a very exciting layout to race, because everyone is striving for those certain lane change tracks. I don't have photo access on this forum, but if you pm me and include your e-mail address, I'll send you a copy of the layout in pdf format.

Rob

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a 4 laner which gives a little more freedom but definatley create's a fast line and some sections of track wont get used much.I agree to see the full potential of the track then as MRFLIPPANT suggested some good drivers will make for really close racing 99.9% of the time regardless of the track,The abilty with digital, which is still evolving with software is to throw in quite a few variables in a race with refuelling and such ,pitlane speeding are just a few.In terms of making the racing line look to be the best way through is a litlle difficult with plastic track and is probably easier to portray on a routed layout .the right lane selection is more apparent if the track lane lengths are different. so have more left turns than right will help so no overpasses in my eyes but its your track .crashes also create overtaking so they are part of digital racing and always will be when the red mist descends over normally sensible thinking racers!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi.

I second that point with the drivers!

My track is only up and running during race days, 5-6 times a year, (my track is around 50m long
a mix of long straits, curves in different radius, you cant win on my track running at the same pace trough out the race)
then I invite friends and their friends over for a race night, why is this important to tell?

that's be course it means that some have tried it before some have not, some drive very slow but don't fall of
others are on the limit, and over all the time. after one or two hours the most of us are pretty equal.
We don't use track calls, there is no need, if you come off the penalty is the time it takes to set back on track.

Of course there is an Ideal line to go round, but even I forget to do it right every time, we race and laugh so much
it is hard to keep focus on this as well.

We often run with two drivers teams, and change drivers in the pit lane as we refuel, this is a feature that works
really good, every body are alert and high on adrenaline.

This is the case for my usage of my track, no doubt that for a permanent track in a club things are different.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Good drivers. Any track is fun for a bit. How big is too big? When you get to my age I guess looking accutately beyound about 10 ft means a track extending no bigger than about 20 ft across. However fun can be had on any size tracl. Somewhere around 15m running length is really the minimum for 6 cars. 4 cars is OK down to say 9m running length. Layouts are person specifi, look at the current thread on R1's for a start. Your space will be the first limit, second may be budget. Get a track planner they are free. Draw somthing up and then show it here and wade through the suggestions to get a good track.

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
My layout (link in my signature) the Amman Valley Raceway is 20metres long and has 4 lane changers and 2 pit lanes (one is for pitting and refuelling, the other is for stop-go penalties and endurance race driver changeovers).

There is one R1 hairpin, a R2-R1-R2 combo hairpin, a few R2 turns of 90, 180 and 270 degrees, a staggered R2-straight-R2 90 degree turn leading into a 4 metre straight followed by a R4 90 degree turn and a 1.5 metre slow-down straight before it gets technical again.

Lots of variety.

The fastest lane is the opposite lane to that required to get into the pits. The lead in - fast straight and lead-out are equally fast on inside or outside of the bend and offer real overtaking opportunities. The hairpins are opposite ways so you have to change lanes if you want to stay on the outside or inside of the hairpins (depending on your driving preference).

All in all I tried to design a track that had lots of variety.

With SSDC and PitPro (with the optional pit exit sensor) the strategic dimension is a big feature in all but the shortest races.

Strategy does play a big part in our racing now but I think it took the same bunch of racers two or three evenings to get the digital carnage road rage out of their systems before they "got" the benefits of strategy and choosing when to pit (splash and dash to avoid pit lane and track congestion for example).

I think many digital racers probably get a great deal of satisfaction from the strategic element but they keep quiet because it gives them an edge until the penny drops for their racing buddies!!!

The track flow is important - if one lane is significantly faster than the other then whoever gets in front will stay in front (unless they get fishtailed at the hairpin). If you can design a track with elements that encourage lane changing or have stretches that are evenly matched and so provide overtaking opportunities then you are on to a winner.

Getting it right is part of the fun
... unless you routed it of course

·
Registered
125 Posts
Here is Guam Slot Racer's (Rob) track

Rob: Thank you for sending info/pictures to me

Rob's description:
Here's the layout I mentioned. It's a pretty simple layout, and about 28 feet in length - both lanes. Basically you can make it as large as you like if you have the space. The table you see in the photos is 10.5 ft in total length; 4ft at the narrowest ends, and the L portion in 6 feet.

The ideal here is that in order to find the shortest route around the track - i.e. quickest lap time, you're forced to make lane changes. Follow each lane, and you'll see that they both change from the inside to the outside. The cross-over track makes it interesting. You can also change location of the lc track pieces, and the clc pieces from in to out, and out to in. I've gone through several layouts that I've created, but this one by far has been the most fun. Actually, I created this layout not realizing what I created until I raced it a few times, and saw what was happening. If I had more space, I would make it larger! This is also a very good pace-car layout, since the corners are no tighter than R2's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In my opinion. My perfect track has no forced crossovers. And no squeeze straight or squeeze R1's. At our track we promote close racing. Those pieces promote either someone getting booted or more than one car desloting.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would like to turn my race track into a work of art like some have on this forum, but I don't have the time right now. So, I focused on making a track that isn't too pretty, but is fun to race with six cars. It was a challenge to make all the lanes desirable, otherwise everyone would use the same ones all the time. If a lane has a R1 turn then the other lane should have one as well. I also tried to make passing as easy as possible by locating the lane changers at the right places. It took me a few years of experimentation before comming up with this track. You may have noticed that there are a few tracks that aren't connected to the PB. They are my cheap and easy way to prevent cars from falling off the track if the rear wheels slide off the real track.
To see a photo of my track, click here.
To see a diagram of my track, click here.
Dave

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (Dave Dolinoy @ 17 Jan 2012, 00:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm still learning how to insert photos.

Below is a photo of my track and a diagram of it without having to click on any links.
Dave

Looks compact but nice and intense. How are the 3 lanes working acording to over take each other?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Olsen,
The 3 lane section is strictly for refueling only.
Initially the 4 lane section was shorter, but we found it wasn't long enough to use for passing, so I made it longer.
I tried to squeeze as much as I could onto a 12x8 foot table.
The hole in the middle is helpful for reaching crashed cars and as a fun place for children to watch the race.
Dave

·
Registered
81 Posts
QUOTE (Dave Dolinoy @ 16 Jan 2012, 23:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm still learning how to insert photos.

Below is a photo of my track and a diagram of it without having to click on any links.
Dave

Awesome layout!! Great thinking about where the racers will stand, Ive been far too eager to get a track up to have thought about where people will be standing!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts