SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just ordered a couple of SCX F1 cars for £13 each. Pendle were doing them for a tenner, but they've sold out. They are new and unused but date back to 2007.

Why are they so cheap? I got some NASCARs for £12 each and some DTMs for £10 and £20. Once the magnates are set up they are great, if a little noisy and most importantly they are holding up well to the beating that my 4 year old is giving them.

So go on then. Who does the best value car and who at the bottom end of the market should I avoid?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I believe the SCX cars that have been available recently for silly money were stock held by a distributor that went bust hence have been dumped on the market.

The current cheapest full detail cars are Carrera at an RRP of £29.99, not the racers choice but solidly built and of typically-Germanic quality levels!

Coop

·
David J
3,182 Posts
Some of the HPI and Autoart cars can be picked up very cheaply, both have been discussed on the forum with mixed reviews, neither would be a waste of your hard earned dosh though.

·
Circuit Owner
5,891 Posts
I would agree with that.

AutoArt are a mixed bag in my experience. Quite a few have loose wheels and pinions which is a shame when you realise they also come with bronze bearings. The AutoArt guide is also quite shallow. BUT if you apply superglue in the right places and weight the nose or replace the guide they can run quite well. My AutoArt lancer is going to be chopped up to make a 4WD mini because the lancer keeps popping out the slot. BUT my AutoArt Shelby Concept is fantastic - a pig to chip as there's very little space but it happily keeps up with any Scalextric Super Resistant car on very technical circuits.

The SCX cars are a bit underpowered compared to similar Scalextric cars but if the price is around the £10-£15 are great value. On SSDC I just dial the power down on the Scalextric cars so they are more evenly matched.

I thought HPI were pulling out of slot cars which is possibly why they are so cheap BUT some of the wholesalers still have stock and can still order in more so it's a bit unclear why they are cheap. Maybe reports of HPI's demise is a bit premature?

On a general point - doesn't "best value" depend on what you are using them for? Carerras are great for looking at and admiring the quality but they don't race well. If you race with a mad crew of digital newbies who haven't learned to control their primal urges then anything really cheap is best because you're going to have to replace it every few meetings!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 9 Feb 2012, 19:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The SCX cars are a bit underpowered compared to similar Scalextric cars

More a question of being under geared really - a 10z pinion improves them a lot.

Coop

·
Registered
83 Posts
My policy is spend more on a ready to race car like NSR, but a lot depends on the track your using?

Cheaper 2nd hand cars to grab IMO are nincompoop after seeing some race last night I was quite impressed.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My policy is to buy cheap cars that look good and won't break for me and my lad to play with on our fairly big (18m) carpet track. I buy matched pairs to keep things even and have several different types. Scalextric Escors, Audi TTs and NASCARs, SCX NASCARS, DTMs and now F1s.

I just hope this liquidated stock doesn't dry up before I get myself a couple of GT cars.

·
Living the Life&#33;
11,082 Posts
Was it FLY who used to produce the battered cars that looked wrecked before you even started??

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,721 Posts
I will also put in a vote for Carrera - I have been impressed with their current crop of GT cars both in looks and in performance. They are good value for money and will go really well on with or without magnets. Though non-mag will probably require a tyre change.

cheers
DM

·
Mark
735 Posts
if its rug racing with ur kiddies then carrera are hard to beat, good solid cars and fair price too. recently put my fingers into other pies (slot it's, msc's) and i wouldnt dare run them with any of my kids lol. some of my scx rally cars are real good fun for the 20 notes i paid for them each. adore my lancia delta's even though my delta integrale has a hop problem lol also for general thrills and spills my scaley boxters, mini's and audi's have had a fair amount of abuse and they still going well. only prob i find is after a hard shunt with a scaley mini, i have to open it up and pop the motor back into its mount.
hope it helps!!!!
yay for cheap happy slotting!!! lol

·
Registered
97 Posts
i purchased a couple of start rally cars off e-bay a while ago for £16.99 great value.. you can do with them as you wish i have put a better motor in one of them and it is great ,fast and handles the track well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts