SlotForum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

Wondering if I could grab some of your expert advice on something. I've done a search both on the forum and Google and haven't been able to find adequate answers, sadly.

I've constructed a new base table and got my track laid down. To save myself a bit of money, i'd like to use Trunking lid for my barriers (Mini trunking - for those unsure of what it is). What do you suggest would be the best method to fix it to the board of MDF? Wood glue I doubt would be strong enough, and nails just looks messy - not to mention difficult to get within the grooves.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Hi Mark
cant see how its going to look like a barrier.
how about a plastic curtian rail some are ribbed
so look abit like armco then all you need to do is make small post
or hot glue 2" nails to the back and drill small holes in mdf
and then push post/nails in mdf round track.
regards ade

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ade,

If you look at the image of the trunking, you'll see a groove towards the top - this is the lid which pulls away (the big chunky bit at the bottom would be discarded). The lid is around 5mm in thickness and fairly flexible so I thought it would be ideal as a barrier.

I like your idea though, it's definitely something to consider if this idea fails.

Cheers

·
Registered
913 Posts
Hi Mark,
I thought of using trunking lid on my track, as you say its flexible and would look good but I came accross the same problem as you, fixing it.
My thoughts were to cut the actual trunking into small 1 inch sections and screw those to the track and clip the lid into place but after a couple of tries found the lid wouldnt keep attached to the trunking "posts".

I opted for the curtain track as it comes in long lengths, the clips that hold it can screw to the baseboard and are very secure and the whole thing look right.

The pic is about the best I've got to show both sides of the curtain track barrier

·
Registered
12 Posts
Definitely think curtain rail is the way to go now. I spent a good couple of hours yesterday trying numerous methods to secure the trunking lid - at one stage I was drilling little pilot holes through the bottom groove and into the wood, and securing it with small pins and nails. It looked semi-ok until I reached a bend, after that it just looked tacky (no pun intended!)

Curtain rail it shall be then! Thanks for the idea guys.

Oh, btw - I'm liking what you've named your track!

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Not sure if this is more of a structural question or cosmetic question. If you want to secure it to MDF, no doubt at all you'll want to use screws (personally I'd go with something like this: http://woodworker.com/8x1-14-coarse-rwh-bl...mp;searchmode=2 )

Working around the bends obviously you'll need to make a slit every inch or so in the webbing to allow it to conform to the curvature. Personally I would make a solid barrier first, and then think about hiding/obscuring the outside webbing where it's cut and splayed under one kind of camouflage or another. That part is easy *grin*

Hope this helps...in general, one of the great advantages of MDF is that it has superior holding ability (versus wood) with screws. You can also re-use the same hole quite a bit more than with wood.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts