SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Tony is away for the weekend, he asked me to post his report on Big Al's Porsche 962 body.

QUOTE Big Al, contacted me a few weeks ago to mount and test (drive it like I stole it) a Porsche 962 body.

The Reveal
When the box arrived a beautifully decorated body was revealed in white, decorated in red with a realistic SCHORC livery. The material the body was made from was a very flexible white plastic polymer.

The Chassis Mounting
The body was mounted on the SG+ chassis with chassis mounts, fabricated from L angle to fit into slots already on the chassis. The plastic is so flexible though that it would benefit from stiffening up where the sides meet the body top.

The Test
It was decided that the car would be run at the following club event, which was on Saturday last. The car was revealed to the club members that were wowed by the stunning livery and finish. I decided that the car would remain in the White lane for the duration of the event. The car was driven by all at the meeting and proved to be very durable during the inevitable offs, the only casualty was the rear wing's detachment that was soon superglued back in place, no splits or cracks could be seen after the meeting.

One word of warning though don't wrap one of these bodies in a rubber band or place any object on the body as it will deform, I did (sorry Big Al) and the rubber band gave the body a 'waist line'.

Tony Stacey

I would also like to add I really liked the neat touch of Tony and Big Al's names being printed on the roof of the car!

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts

It certainly wasn't bent like that when it left here.

So, although this stuff is flexible and robust, it seems it's still pliable, as can be seen by the droopy rear. I'll have to look into this and will provide feedback soon.
The first bodies I built, the Mazda, Jager Porsche and Kenwood Porsche are all still perfect.. so I can't reason where or why it warped like it did. Possibly in the parckaging..

Sorry about that guys.

This will halt further production for a while.

regards

Al

·
Registered
884 Posts
Al, Tony placed an elastic band around the body, I'm guessing to tighten it on the chassis, that's what warped it.

Cheers
Paul

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Yes Paul, that is exactly right, the band was mean't only to pull the sides in to the chassis, but it was just too tight for the material to withstand without deformation.

I do not have body scales, so the weight could not be determined, but it is lighter than a stock plastic body.

The wheelbase on this body is for a 1.5" chassis.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I have now removed the body mounts, superglued an angle for stiffening, to where the sides meet the top surface of the body, and re-attached the chassis mounts, this has reduced the amount of splay that the sides of the body can make, whether this compromises another part of the body only time will tell!

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Tony.

The weight is 3.4 grams. I can (WILL) make them thicker to be a little more robust, closer to 4 grams.

Al

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Having finally seen the body for myself I was duly impressed. The next step, I suggest, is to produce something nobody else has done yet, preferably for the MG17 and preferably legal for the AFX 6hr.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts