SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
360 Posts
Hi mate,

I'm also planning a loft track but progress is slow due to wifey demands so look out!!

One question though is with regards to insulation. Is the insulation going to be the non-fiberous type. Only ask becuase my loft has the fiberous stuff and it really gets your throat and skin. I'm having to partion off where I'm not laying floor with plaster board and hire an industrial vac to remove the particles remaining in the air.

Hopefully once sealed off from the material itself the fibres will go. Its actually really bad stuff for your health.

If you have any say see if you can have non-fibre insulation. Bit more price wise but very safe.

· Registered
360 Posts
^^^^that is blinking huge!^^^^^

You got all that space in a new house

I didn't know about that 90 degree business. Ours is along the trusses. To be honest mate if you can don't let them put the fibre stuff up there. I'm not 100% convinced even by completely sealing off exposure to the material it will stop the fibre entering the air. If you've got to move the material by 90 degrees it will be everywhere.

I'm quite concerned I'll go to all the building trouble and find the fibres won't go even after sealing the material off.

· Registered
360 Posts
Lunch time over
but..

Hopefully I'll be finished in the next few weeks so I'll let you know regards to the fibres.

I've got T n G boards too but hadn't thought of carpet. What I am going to do though is use duct tape along the T n G lines to stop the fibres coming through and where the plaster board mounts to the boards and the horizontal joists to completely seal off the fibers.

Fingers crossed they won't come through. I'll be plenty miffed if they don't go.

· Registered
360 Posts
Sorry to hear of your bad news mate.

I agree though, cheer yourself up and go buy a big set anyway to keep you going for the time being. Any idea how much of the place is salvagable?

Did you look into using alternative insulation? If you can do becuase my loft is taking a while and I'm still not convinced the fibres will go once its finished.

Keep us informed of you get on mate. Keep your chin up!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.