SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Yo Cool,

I love your handle, very creative! The track you are describing sounds a lot like my layout, 78 feet Scaley Sport 2 lane in a 1.6 m by a little less than 4 m space.

I read through all the posts in the Track & Scenery forums here and at SCI before I started to build. I listed the best ideas that helped me most on this page along with a graphic of the track plan that shows piece numbers.

From the links on my layout's homepage you can see track and construction photos and find some other ideas that may be helpful. Just starting on scenery though I have painted my track.

Have lots of fun - and do post some pics! (I think the trick is you have to have some place on the web to post your pics to start with, then you link to the pic while you are making a post here by clicking the IMG button and entering the URL to your picture. For example, I own the domain www.citizensoldier.org. To have a picture called "lotus.jpg" show up here I would first upload the file "lotus.jpg" to the citizensoldier.org domain then enter "http://www.citizensoldier.org/lotus.jpg" in the box that comes up after you press the IMG button while typing a post here at Slot Forum)

Paul

· Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Very good looking layout design, Cool. You've really put a lot of track in the space!

I think the increasing radius hairpin at the right of the long straight is a good idea. I've been surprised by how much faster my straights are if I use a few larger radius curve pieces just before and after the straight. Those 45 degree turns also add a lot of interest - a nice mix of turns.

Maybe you can speed up construction by using folding utility tables from the office supply store for the platform. That's what I did, just covered them with plywood sections pre-cut from the hardware store - easier to get pre-cut sections into a loft than whole 4x8 sheets, too. There are pictures of the tables at the link in my previous post.

Don't feel rushed. Plan to enjoy playing around with the design once you can get something set up - that's half the fun!

I'm surprised your wife does not already realize that at least getting the layout set up has to come first because it will give you an opportunity to invite the neighbors over and make new friends quickly!

Congratulations on your new home and upcoming layout. Hope all goes smoothly!

Paul

· Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Hey CoolS

Your latest design is really awesome. I always like to see a design that puts as much track on the table as possible.

On the R1s, I agree, regular R1s almost make you come to a complete stop to negotiate but Scaley's new Sport R1s that move the inside lane a tad closer to the outside of the curve are very easy for all my cars to get around - they race well. The hitch is you have to use the special lead-in and lead-out straights that squeeze the inside lane over.

Good luck with the insulation situation.

Paul

· Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Forgot to mention I've read that the Challenger car is limited to a total track length of 110 feet if you were thinking you might want to use it. I love the Challenger personally but if I had the space for close to a scale mile of track like your second design I'd be tempted to forget about it.

Paul

· Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Wow, CoolS,

Really sorry to hear about the fire. God's in control, though, better it happened now than after you moved in.

I think this is a good reason to just go by a big set you like and set it up on the floor where you're living now.

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.