SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody going along to Bishops Stortford swappie this Sunday or is everyone all swappied out? It seemed a lot smaller last year than previously, but it was still a good day out, I remember!

Anyone know if there will be many tables? Phil? Sean?

Mr.M

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Thanks for the Info Phil.......Are there many Slot related tables at Shepton?

Regards

Alan

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
It's not on Scale Models list of events either. Does that mean few stalls, small crowds and big bargains - or a wasted opportunity to have a long lie?

·
Registered
127 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Material UK @ 2 Oct 2004, 00:34)Is anybody going along to Bishops Stortford swappie this Sunday or is everyone all swappied out? It seemed a lot smaller last year than previously, but it was still a good day out, I remember!

Anyone know if there will be many tables? Phil? Sean?

Mr.M
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will be there, scavenging for bits as usual.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
I'll be there scavenging for wheels chassis and bits for the mountain of kits i seem to have bought!

Gareth

·
John Roche
4,158 Posts
I've just got back. I wasn't over impressed, not many dealers. Still, it gave me an excuse to go for a blast on the bike.

John

·
Premium Member
3,083 Posts
Mmmmmmmm - no Phil Smith, Pendle or Scale Models and smaller than usual.

Of course it couldn't have anything to do with there being too many swapmeets could it?

Not that I am one to say, "I told you so"........... Cue for Rob Learmouth to disagree again I suppose!

Personally, I was at Rockingham for the final meet of the season getting covered in tyre smoke - absolutely the canine round things (you had to be there)!

Brian

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
I'm pretty sure Scalemodels were there, maybe someone could confirm?
Their Swapmeets calender is always out of date or wrong!, it does not mention Orpington at all and they were there for the July meeting and are confirmed for December 18th ! and they do not have Newark listed either, but they will be there also.

The lack of dealers for this show is more down to it's orginiser, who is very difficult to get along with, and many people, including me, stay away for this reason.

I am sure that the UK market is large enough, at this time, too support one slotcar show a month, as long as they are sufficiently far apart in terms of distance.

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, there was no Scale Models stand. The swappie was slightly smaller than last year but not a lot. But then, it wasn't very big last year! No Spanish men with unusual Abarths this year either!

I managed to pick up another Miticos car (BMW M1) and took advantage of Adrian's "packing away" bargain prices to get a Banana Joes MG Lola. Two Scaley 962s for Slik made the trip home too. I actually bought more cars from Scott and Jexy than I did from the swapmeet!

Mr.M

·
Slot City
331 Posts
QUOTE Mmmmmmmm - no Phil Smith, Pendle or Scale Models and smaller than usual.

Of course it couldn't have anything to do with there being too many swapmeets could it?

Not that I am one to say, "I told you so"........... Cue for Rob Learmouth to disagree again I suppose!

Personally, I was at Rockingham for the final meet of the season getting covered in tyre smoke - absolutely the canine round things (you had to be there)!

Brian

Brian,

To suggest that Robert has been the one pushing for an unrealistic number of events is wrong and totally incorrect. In fact, Robert has done more than most to try and preserve the established events on the NSCC calendar (such as Evesham), and to ensure that there is a good balance.

Slot cars are continually growing in popularity, and to suggest that the previous calander of six or so events was enough is rubbish - especially when you consider that these were all closed events (NSCC members only).

There is enough demand to support even more events than there are at present, but these have to be the right kind of events. Running a poorly advertised event, with nothing but dealer tables, in a school / sports hall in the middle of nowhere and limiting entrance to NSCC members is not the right kind of event. These events will disappear, and I for one will not miss them.

The event we held in Slough was well attended and we received excellent feedback from the public and dealers. This attracted a lot of people who hadn't been to an event before, quite a few left asking when the next one was. We'll be continuing our plan for what events should be like with our next event in Swindon on January 9th.

Things will sort themselves out over the next year or two, as market forces will decide which events survive and which ones don't.

Jon,
Slot City.

G

·
I have to agree with Jon, limiting any swapmeet to only NSSC members is wrong as this is not the way for slot racing to grow.

What we need are more event which draw in new enthusiasts for our hobby to grow. I am hoping the Brookland display will do this.

Jeff

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
The main reason that the UK dealers wanted more swapmeets was because of the NSCC closed shop policy.
Not allowing the general public into a NSCC meeting is absolutely ridiculous, what do they think they are running, the Masons!

But this is nothing, one of the NSCC committee has been reported as saying, at a committee meeting ,that he thought that the membership should now be closed as the club now had enough members!!

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Hi Phil

I know i'm the new boy on the NSCC committee and have only been to a few committee mtgs over the last year, but i have never heard anyone on the committee say that.

Next years NSCC 25th anniversary weekend event (including the swapmeet) is an open event specifcally designed to get members of the public interested in slotcars etc. NSCC members will receive a discount on normal entrance prices.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but the NSCC started to do swapmeets at a time when there were none or very few at all, these events have grown over the years and most of the original events form the backbone of the swapmeets calander. They were originally designed to enable members to swap, meet each other.

The NSCC exists to benifit it's members why should we not hold members only events?

I personally don't have a problem with others runnning events, i enjoy all of the swapmeets i go to (including yours). The more the merrier, but as others have said we will (or have) reached a max and some will drop by the wayside.

Who will run events then?

Gareth
NSCC

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am not biased except that I want to go to swop meets, I do not race except with my kids for fun, I am a collector with a renewed child hood and a young family.
I do not care who runs swop meets or where they are as long as there are these key features.

1: An undercover place to walk around and view peoples wares.
2: Parking, this is a must if it is not near any public transport.
3: Somewhere that has a loo that works.
4: Facilities for a cup of tea/coffee or a cold drink.
5: Something that tells us where it is, how to get there and when it starts. (Not just the NSCC magazine).
6: Some happy smilling traders and collectors to chat too and bargain with.
7: Some kind of display is also nice, especially for the younger generation.

NSCC or NOT, I just want to go to get ideas and spend my money.
I would like to attend one a month as long as I am free to do so.

70s_Scalex (A member of Joe public incorporated).

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
A nice basic list - pity many swapmeets can't get close. At Bishops Stortford we were greeted with a warning about being clamped if you parked in the wrong place. Trouble was, the wrong place was the car park outside the building.

Holding your list against what Jexy has planned for next year reveals the following;

1: An undercover place to walk around and view peoples wares.

Not only undercover, but smoke free and air-conditioned. Quite dramatic too, if I may say so.

2: Parking, this is a must if it is not near any public transport.

Only for 400 cars.

3: Somewhere that has a loo that works.

Several.

4: Facilities for a cup of tea/coffee or a cold drink.

How does a cafe selling Starbucks coffee and snacks sound?

5: Something that tells us where it is, how to get there and when it starts. (Not just the NSCC magazine).

Full colour maps and directions already done.

6: Some happy smiling traders and collectors to chat too and bargain with.

Ah.., can't guarantee that one, sorry. Not sure the way to make a trader smile has been discovered by medical science yet.

7: Some kind of display is also nice, especially for the younger generation.

How about some 1:1 cars, slot car tracks to try and motor sport films to watch.

·
John Roche
4,158 Posts
One to add to the list: All items clearly marked with the price.

I know it is up to the individual trader and has been mentioned before but if items aren't priced I keep on waking unless it's something I really want. It must reduce impulse buying........... maybe not a bad thing then

John

1 - 20 of 33 Posts