SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Material UK @ 2 Oct 2004, 00:34)Is anybody going along to Bishops Stortford swappie this Sunday or is everyone all swappied out? It seemed a lot smaller last year than previously, but it was still a good day out, I remember!

Anyone know if there will be many tables? Phil? Sean?

Mr.M
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I will be there, scavenging for bits as usual.

· Registered
127 Posts
I am not biased except that I want to go to swop meets, I do not race except with my kids for fun, I am a collector with a renewed child hood and a young family.
I do not care who runs swop meets or where they are as long as there are these key features.

1: An undercover place to walk around and view peoples wares.
2: Parking, this is a must if it is not near any public transport.
3: Somewhere that has a loo that works.
4: Facilities for a cup of tea/coffee or a cold drink.
5: Something that tells us where it is, how to get there and when it starts. (Not just the NSCC magazine).
6: Some happy smilling traders and collectors to chat too and bargain with.
7: Some kind of display is also nice, especially for the younger generation.

NSCC or NOT, I just want to go to get ideas and spend my money.
I would like to attend one a month as long as I am free to do so.

70s_Scalex (A member of Joe public incorporated).

· Registered
127 Posts
QUOTE (Scott @ 4 Oct 2004, 15:57)A nice basic list - pity many swapmeets can't get close. At Bishops Stortford we were greeted with a warning about being clamped if you parked in the wrong place. Trouble was, the wrong place was the car park outside the building.

Holding your list against what Jexy has planned for next year reveals the following;

1: An undercover place to walk around and view peoples wares.

Not only undercover, but smoke free and air-conditioned. Quite dramatic too, if I may say so.

2: Parking, this is a must if it is not near any public transport.

Only for 400 cars.

3: Somewhere that has a loo that works.

Several.

4: Facilities for a cup of tea/coffee or a cold drink.

How does a cafe selling Starbucks coffee and snacks sound?

5: Something that tells us where it is, how to get there and when it starts. (Not just the NSCC magazine).

Full colour maps and directions already done.

6: Some happy smiling traders and collectors to chat too and bargain with.

Ah.., can't guarantee that one, sorry. Not sure the way to make a trader smile has been discovered by medical science yet.

7: Some kind of display is also nice, especially for the younger generation.

How about some 1:1 cars, slot car tracks to try and motor sport films to watch.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds great, I may just have to attend, I guess if the cars are clearly marked with a sensible price we can all afford then we will spend our money thus making the traders smile.
But seriously folks it should really be about fun, the fun of collecting and the fun of racing.

70s

· Registered
127 Posts
QUOTE (philsmith @ 4 Oct 2004, 22:47)Well Moped called you Bob, so I thought it was Ok for me too, sorry for being familiar

Not sure why Slough was successful, but as for Orpington, I think there were a few factors

The first ever slot show within the M25!
I know if you live outside of London this may not seem important but for those that do, and think that Watford is up t'north it is a very important factor.

A good clean and bright venue

A bar

Good fresh food

Me

But sorry about the parking

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Orpington was my first pure slot car meet, I enjoyed it and it was fairly easy to find, Yep the parking was not too great but I was on two wheels anyway.

Comments:
Good points
Easy to find
Nice and bright with room to move around the tables.
A good selection of new, used and broken cars and spares.
Tea, Coffee, Snacks and a table and chairs to sit and eat it.
A working layout set up.

Bad points.
I took a friend that races HO and there were virtually no HO cars or parts.
Cars and parts not priced and some with silly prices on them.
Traders that a were not willing to bargain even a few pounds on £25 to £30 items.

70s_Scalex.

· Registered
127 Posts
QUOTE (slotcity @ 7 Oct 2004, 11:02)QUOTE I took a friend that races HO and there were virtually no HO cars or parts.
Cars and parts not priced and some with silly prices on them.
Traders that a were not willing to bargain even a few pounds on £25 to £30 items.

You're unlikely to find many HO items at any of the slot car shows.

As regards pricing, we always try to make sure everything is clearly priced though sometimes things can get a bit manic (especially at the beginning of the day) and its not always possible. I'm sure this is the case for some of the dealers referred to.

I'm also not normally 'open to negotiation' on prices. This is for the simple reason that we use shows to clear out excess stock, and so we price items to sell. Though I sometimes wonder if it would be better to add a couple of pounds on to all our prices so that I can give discounts!

Jon,
Slot City.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Jon.

It was not newer cars that I was refering to about bargaining, sorry about that. It was some of the cpllectors/traders with a table full of used cars without boxes from the seventies/eighties.
I can understand that with new cars the profit margin is very small and discounts are not so easy to come by.
On the other hand a 25 year old scalex with no box and is not mint, Now there is a chance to cut a deal, especially when the table next door also has the same car.
I saw the same car on three tables all at different prices, I took the cheapest as the other traders would not bargain to get me to part with my money.

70s_Scalex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.