SlotForum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
3,446 Posts
Mmmmmmmm - no Phil Smith, Pendle or Scale Models and smaller than usual.

Of course it couldn't have anything to do with there being too many swapmeets could it?

Not that I am one to say, "I told you so"........... Cue for Rob Learmouth to disagree again I suppose!

Personally, I was at Rockingham for the final meet of the season getting covered in tyre smoke - absolutely the canine round things (you had to be there)!

Brian

· Premium Member
3,446 Posts
To suggest that Robert has been the one pushing for an unrealistic number of events is wrong and totally incorrect. In fact, Robert has done more than most to try and preserve the established events on the NSCC calendar (such as Evesham), and to ensure that there is a good balance. .........................
Jon,
Slot City.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

That's an awful lot to read into a throwaway jokey comment Jon - must remember to start using those stupid smiley things when I am being facetious. I hope your brother may appreciate the comment as he has recently made a similar one about me and I took it in the spirit in which it was intended.

For the record - I think that you, Rob and Phil Smith have got the right idea with your efforts to run open events that attract non-hardcore attendance. My worries are that the whole swapmeet thing is getting out of hand.

Please look at the calendar - B/Stortford - 3rd October, Newark 31st October, Ashford 20th November, Leeds - early December?, Orpington - 18th December, Swindon - January 9th 2005. This is getting perilously close to my prediction of one a fortnight!

As an ordinary slot-car enthusiast with a finite amount of disposable income it has always been my practice to attend 3 swapmeets a year - I suspect there are many others with a similar outlook. It matters not whether there is a choice of 6 or 106 (open or NSCC - makes no difference) you aren't going to extract any more money from us. I wish you well with your efforts to attract a wider audience but my personal opinion is that, in the long term, the whole thing will go tits up.

Question - why are the slot-car dealers moving away from general toyfairs and promoting slot only events?

Answer (according to normally reliable trade sources!) the general public are becoming disenchanted with toyfairs because there are too many of them!

For the moment, I rest my case.

Has anybody else, apart from the present debaters, got any views on this subject of "how many swapmeets?"

Brian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.