SlotForum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
303 Posts
Ive seen Geoff of Follymodels fame smiling once or twice, but Im sure that was just wind!!!!

Directions and decent nearby parking are essential really. I remember the first time i went to MK, I spent ages driving around with my dad looking for the place

· Registered
127 Posts
QUOTE (Scott @ 4 Oct 2004, 15:57)A nice basic list - pity many swapmeets can't get close. At Bishops Stortford we were greeted with a warning about being clamped if you parked in the wrong place. Trouble was, the wrong place was the car park outside the building.

Holding your list against what Jexy has planned for next year reveals the following;

1: An undercover place to walk around and view peoples wares.

Not only undercover, but smoke free and air-conditioned. Quite dramatic too, if I may say so.

2: Parking, this is a must if it is not near any public transport.

Only for 400 cars.

3: Somewhere that has a loo that works.

Several.

4: Facilities for a cup of tea/coffee or a cold drink.

How does a cafe selling Starbucks coffee and snacks sound?

5: Something that tells us where it is, how to get there and when it starts. (Not just the NSCC magazine).

Full colour maps and directions already done.

6: Some happy smiling traders and collectors to chat too and bargain with.

Ah.., can't guarantee that one, sorry. Not sure the way to make a trader smile has been discovered by medical science yet.

7: Some kind of display is also nice, especially for the younger generation.

How about some 1:1 cars, slot car tracks to try and motor sport films to watch.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds great, I may just have to attend, I guess if the cars are clearly marked with a sensible price we can all afford then we will spend our money thus making the traders smile.
But seriously folks it should really be about fun, the fun of collecting and the fun of racing.

70s

· Phil Smith
4,487 Posts
QUOTE The NSCC exists to benifit it's members why should we not hold members only events?

It also exists ONLY because of its members, without encouraging new ones it will eventually die!
I just found out the other day that the NSCC charges £2 for the privilage of joining the club,(plus the £16 subscription) surely there should be a discount for new members not an extra charge!

I am sure that if the NSCC were a person you could say it had an 'attitude problem' , but then I am not very keen on clubs anyway.

· Registered
224 Posts
FWIW my views:

1. Until last year, BS was widely regarded as the 2nd best event of the calendar after Milton Keynes. It was forced out from the original location (Rhodes Centre) by a refit which is still ongoing. As of last year (ie the temporary venue), the event lost a lot of momentum. I don't know why.

2. I thought this year was very similar to last year. The temporary venue was as good as Brian could find apparently (big halls are very expensive in and around the M25 and BS is hardly full of them anyway) and would not physically take any more tables than there was on Sunday. Personally speaking I did okay, not fantastic but okay and worthwhile. I agree the car parking was c*ap and that in general this is not an ideal venue.

3. So and so dealer not being there is hardly sound justification to make conclusions.

4. If you want to blame something for swapmeets being 'slower' then blame Ebay. I encouraged more swapmeets to try and make them accessible to as many people as possible to get them off Ebay.

5. Slower is not a word I would want to use and if I did I wouldn't generalise. Swapmeets are 'different' for sure and we need to be open-minded about what we get out of each. For example I actually had time at BS to sort through people's spares boxes and to have longer coversations with customers.

6. In any eventuality it was worth going for just because Graeme Thoburn tricked Brian into going up on stage and shouting out to ask if there was a 'Mike Hunt' in the room. It didn't get any better for Brian when he didn't come forward and he relayed Graeme's ensuing request for his brother 'Imak' to come forward instead!

Brian, I would be interested to know what your 'strategy' for swampeets in the UK is and whether you think it is healthy that a whole generation of enthusiasts are glued soley to Ebay. I have stuck my neck out time and again explaining and supporting my strategy. You may not agree with it but at least I stand by it and I would have every expectation that for example Phil Smith as organiser of Orpington would join me in saying that his event worked.

If you are concerned about the demise of long-standing NSCC events then it is well worth looking at these events in isolation to see what might be wrong with them. I have discovered no one except yourself who shed any tears for Evesham, though that said I would have continued to support it out of tradition. I could name 2 other NSCC events that few people would miss. Perhaps, just perhaps it has something to do with them being a bloody long or awkward drive for the populus when they can sit at home and play on Ebay, amongst other reasons. I have every respect for the 'pioneers' of the original slot car swapmeets (ie NSCC events) but the world has moved on.

Presumably running more events is not a concern shared by the rest of the NSCC committee though as a majority sanctioned the Toyota event next year.

Robert

· Phil Smith
4,487 Posts
QUOTE Brian, I would be interested to know what your 'strategy' for swampeets in the UK is and whether you think it is healthy that a whole generation of enthusiasts are glued soley to Ebay. I have stuck my neck out time and again explaining and supporting my strategy. You may not agree with it but at least I stand by it and I would have every expectation that for example Phil Smith as organiser of Orpington would join me in saying that his event worked.

Sorry 'Bob
' I don't really understand this paragraph, could you explain in a different way perhaps?

· Premium Member
3,446 Posts
To suggest that Robert has been the one pushing for an unrealistic number of events is wrong and totally incorrect. In fact, Robert has done more than most to try and preserve the established events on the NSCC calendar (such as Evesham), and to ensure that there is a good balance. .........................
Jon,
Slot City.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

That's an awful lot to read into a throwaway jokey comment Jon - must remember to start using those stupid smiley things when I am being facetious. I hope your brother may appreciate the comment as he has recently made a similar one about me and I took it in the spirit in which it was intended.

For the record - I think that you, Rob and Phil Smith have got the right idea with your efforts to run open events that attract non-hardcore attendance. My worries are that the whole swapmeet thing is getting out of hand.

Please look at the calendar - B/Stortford - 3rd October, Newark 31st October, Ashford 20th November, Leeds - early December?, Orpington - 18th December, Swindon - January 9th 2005. This is getting perilously close to my prediction of one a fortnight!

As an ordinary slot-car enthusiast with a finite amount of disposable income it has always been my practice to attend 3 swapmeets a year - I suspect there are many others with a similar outlook. It matters not whether there is a choice of 6 or 106 (open or NSCC - makes no difference) you aren't going to extract any more money from us. I wish you well with your efforts to attract a wider audience but my personal opinion is that, in the long term, the whole thing will go tits up.

Question - why are the slot-car dealers moving away from general toyfairs and promoting slot only events?

Answer (according to normally reliable trade sources!) the general public are becoming disenchanted with toyfairs because there are too many of them!

For the moment, I rest my case.

Has anybody else, apart from the present debaters, got any views on this subject of "how many swapmeets?"

Brian

· Phil Smith
4,487 Posts
Hey Brian
You forgot Worthing on the 24th October!

Yea there does seem to be a lot of shows in the coming couple of months, but I still think that there is sufficient interest for one a month as long as they are sufficiently far apart in terms of distance so as to attract a different local crowd.

Although Brian is content with going to only three a year a lot of hardcore collectors thrive on these meetings and are happy that there are plenty of opportunities for them to spend their disposable income.

· Registered
5,904 Posts
More swapmeets but more new car releases too. Now I know swapmeets are not just about new cars, but they are part of the attraction, that hope to get the latest thing as soon as possible.

And just one other quibble - more opportunities to spend will result in more expenditure. It's the whole basis of out of town shopping centres or malls like Blue Water and the Metro Centre. Based wholly inaccurately on my own spending patterns, I spent money on slot cars at BS I would not have spent had I stayed at home, even had i been on eBay all day. The magpie effect (bright shinny things, must buy, must have) only works when the stuff is in front of me.

· Registered
224 Posts
QUOTE (philsmith @ 4 Oct 2004, 21:08)QUOTE Brian, I would be interested to know what your 'strategy' for swampeets in the UK is and whether you think it is healthy that a whole generation of enthusiasts are glued soley to Ebay. I have stuck my neck out time and again explaining and supporting my strategy. You may not agree with it but at least I stand by it and I would have every expectation that for example Phil Smith as organiser of Orpington would join me in saying that his event worked.

Sorry 'Bob
' I don't really understand this paragraph, could you explain in a different way perhaps?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm just trying to say if we have too many swapmeets why were Orpington and Slough successful events?

Also, if Brian thinks there are too many and it's all gone a bit pear-shaped how would he do things differently? Which ones should go, should we only have NSCC events and pull up our left trouser leg on the way in, should we not worry about the dominance of Ebay?? I am genuinely interested to have an elaboration from the anti-proliferation camp.

Who's Bob anyway? Most people call me Nob as they think I am one...

· Phil Smith
4,487 Posts
Well Moped called you Bob, so I thought it was Ok for me too, sorry for being familiar

Not sure why Slough was successful, but as for Orpington, I think there were a few factors

The first ever slot show within the M25!
I know if you live outside of London this may not seem important but for those that do, and think that Watford is up t'north it is a very important factor.

A good clean and bright venue

A bar

Good fresh food

Me

But sorry about the parking

· Registered
127 Posts
QUOTE (philsmith @ 4 Oct 2004, 22:47)Well Moped called you Bob, so I thought it was Ok for me too, sorry for being familiar

Not sure why Slough was successful, but as for Orpington, I think there were a few factors

The first ever slot show within the M25!
I know if you live outside of London this may not seem important but for those that do, and think that Watford is up t'north it is a very important factor.

A good clean and bright venue

A bar

Good fresh food

Me

But sorry about the parking

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Orpington was my first pure slot car meet, I enjoyed it and it was fairly easy to find, Yep the parking was not too great but I was on two wheels anyway.

Comments:
Good points
Easy to find
Nice and bright with room to move around the tables.
A good selection of new, used and broken cars and spares.
Tea, Coffee, Snacks and a table and chairs to sit and eat it.
A working layout set up.

Bad points.
I took a friend that races HO and there were virtually no HO cars or parts.
Cars and parts not priced and some with silly prices on them.
Traders that a were not willing to bargain even a few pounds on £25 to £30 items.

70s_Scalex.

· Slot City
331 Posts
QUOTE I took a friend that races HO and there were virtually no HO cars or parts.
Traders that a were not willing to bargain even a few pounds on £25 to £30 items.

You're unlikely to find many HO items at any of the slot car shows.

As regards pricing, we always try to make sure everything is clearly priced though sometimes things can get a bit manic (especially at the beginning of the day) and its not always possible. I'm sure this is the case for some of the dealers referred to.

I'm also not normally 'open to negotiation' on prices. This is for the simple reason that we use shows to clear out excess stock, and so we price items to sell. Though I sometimes wonder if it would be better to add a couple of pounds on to all our prices so that I can give discounts!

Jon,
Slot City.

· Registered
127 Posts
QUOTE (slotcity @ 7 Oct 2004, 11:02)QUOTE I took a friend that races HO and there were virtually no HO cars or parts.

You're unlikely to find many HO items at any of the slot car shows.

As regards pricing, we always try to make sure everything is clearly priced though sometimes things can get a bit manic (especially at the beginning of the day) and its not always possible. I'm sure this is the case for some of the dealers referred to.

I'm also not normally 'open to negotiation' on prices. This is for the simple reason that we use shows to clear out excess stock, and so we price items to sell. Though I sometimes wonder if it would be better to add a couple of pounds on to all our prices so that I can give discounts!

Jon,
Slot City.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Jon.

It was not newer cars that I was refering to about bargaining, sorry about that. It was some of the cpllectors/traders with a table full of used cars without boxes from the seventies/eighties.
I can understand that with new cars the profit margin is very small and discounts are not so easy to come by.
On the other hand a 25 year old scalex with no box and is not mint, Now there is a chance to cut a deal, especially when the table next door also has the same car.
I saw the same car on three tables all at different prices, I took the cheapest as the other traders would not bargain to get me to part with my money.

70s_Scalex

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.