SlotForum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the best method to achieve the blue purple and gold on the header pipes as they come out of the block. ive seen some fabulous examples on the forum, really lifelike. so how do you do it. john

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've seen it done with an airbrush and the correct shades of Al Clad paints. Turns out nice if done correctly.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i didn,t take much notice at the time.but ive heard pastels, chalk ect mentioned. or is there allready an article on the forum i,ve missed. john

·
Peter Seager-Thomas
1,214 Posts
I use permanent markers.

The Talbot below uses yellow, orange brown and purple pens from memory.

These particular pens are Staedtler Lumicolour permanent. They are easy to use, and doing one pipe at a time, the colours are easily blended.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

·
Registered
686 Posts
And guess what! if you use Google, you'll find that Tamiya actually makes a pastel kit for heat ageing exhaust pipes.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
could have done chris but i like sarcasm and allways do things the hard way. EM those pipes really look the biz, excellent. john

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats really cool chris, would never have found it googeling, i ask all the wrong questions. ta, john

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
When I was young and into motorcycles it used to be seen as a sign of how hard you rode if the downpipes were a nice shade of blue, then someone told me a trick to make the pipes go blue, spray WD40 onto them while they're hot, I can't remember if it worked or not.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I really like the Tamiya pastels method as you can wipe it off if you don't like it but whack some Klear or varnish on when you reach a stage you do like.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi John,

An other cheap method you could do, is take a blue permanent thick pointed marker (Artline). Colour in a piece of plastic cart. Than you take a thin soft brush and a little pure disinfectant alcohol. Dip your brush into the alcohol mix with the ink on the plastic card, the ink becomes liquid again. It's better to thin the ink very well and work with thin layers. Also keep in mind that the alcohol evaporate very fast so you must work fast and efficient. When you're satisfied with the blue shading, it's best to fixated it with varnish.

Cheers,
Danny

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
julian to blue motorcycle pipipes, you have a weak air to fuel ratio and hold the bike on full throttle, if it doesn,t seize you get a wonderfull gold and blue clour on the headers. but if you spend a lot of time at full throttle its best to richen the mixture up a bit. john

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
julian to blue motorcycle pipipes, you have a weak air to fuel ratio and hold the bike on full throttle, if it doesn,t seize you get a wonderfull gold and blue clour on the headers. but if you spend a lot of time at full throttle its best to richen the mixture up a bit. john

1 - 18 of 18 Posts