SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago, Trisha on this forum posted a project of a 1/32 vacuum-formed shell for a BMW 2002, made by Fibre Slots. I remembered having a BMW 2002 slot car years ago and I decided to try to make a replica. I found Fibre Slots on Facebook and they quickly and efficiently delivered a shell to me. They are on the auction site, too, but I used Facebook.

I remembered my slotcar being white with a black bonnet, so i started an internet search. The closest I could find were cars raced by the German tuners 'Koepchen' in the late 1960s/Early 1970s. I couldn't find many photos or details and the cars were blue and white rather than black, but I decided to make a model inspired by these cars. This one raced at the Nurburgring in 1972:
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

The Fibre Slot range of shells are intended to represent UK hot rods, so they come without window glass and with wheel arch extensions intended for small 13 inch wheels.

Cutting mat Rectangle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Auto part

I was pleased with how well the shell represented the original BMW, which is quite a difficult shape to capture. I found it easy to cut out the windows and I also cut and modified the whell arches to accept bigger wheels and a narrower width closer to scale.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

For a chassis, I modified a Scalextric New Beetle sidewinder, fitted with Scalextric BMW Mini wheels and cut down old NSR rear tyres, all from my parts box. The chassis is modified to make a sort of motor pod at the rear, which I find greatly improves the handling. Although this chassis is designed for button magnets, so far I have left it magnet-less, relying on the soft NSR tyres for grip. I'm not completely happy with the front end; the guide and front chassis are rigidly fixed to the shell and the front axle moves up and down, which seems to make it a bit 'twitchy' on long bends.
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Composite material

I made a plasticard interior with an SRC driver and a rollcage from a Scalextric BMW Mini
Tire Wheel Car Hood Vehicle

Windows were scavenged from packing material and from cheap diecast models. I cut out the grille and headlights and refitted them to give a bit more depth. The rear lights were very sketchy on the shell, so I made new ones out of plasticard. The body was painted with Montana 'Shock White' acrylic and then Tamiya TS-15 Blue aerosols: The blue is darker than Koepchen used, I think, but it's a compromise with the black I remember from my original slotcar!
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

I finished the car off with home-printed decals. It runs pretty well and is roughly competitive with my Scalextric Trans Am Mustang and Camaro.
Vehicle Grille Hood Automotive lighting Car
Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel Car Automotive design
Wheel Vehicle Car Tire Motorsport
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle

·
Electric model car driver
1,505 Posts
Yep, good skills, another case of making a silk purse out of a pigs ear or rolling a turd in glitter. Not that Fibreslots shells are pigs ears or turds but you get my drift.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Incidentally, Jenks often cited the 2002 in his top 10 list of the greatest ever road cars.
Well, it did set the pattern for every worthwhile BMW that came after. What, after all, is a 3-Series if not a 2002 with progressively more rounded edges and a bigger variety of power plants? Yes, I know about the 1500 and the 1602, but neither seemed to capture the driving public's heart like the 2002 did.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Well, it did set the pattern for every worthwhile BMW that came after. What, after all, is a 3-Series if not a 2002 with progressively more rounded edges and a bigger variety of power plants? Yes, I know about the 1500 and the 1602, but neither seemed to capture the driving public's heart like the 2002 did.
This was certainly the case here in the US. It defined the image of BMW in the eyes of the general public.

·
Registered
9,308 Posts
A lame suggestion, Mike. The SCX M3 might make a worthy racing companion for the 2002. They're fairly inexpensive and can easily be reworked for better performance.

Mine below is standard and goes well enough around the Mess.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Window
Vehicle Car Tire Wheel Window

·
Registered
539 Posts
A while ago, Trisha on this forum posted a project of a 1/32 vacuum-formed shell for a BMW 2002, made by Fibre Slots. I remembered having a BMW 2002 slot car years ago and I decided to try to make a replica. I found Fibre Slots on Facebook and they quickly and efficiently delivered a shell to me. They are on the auction site, too, but I used Facebook.

I remembered my slotcar being white with a black bonnet, so i started an internet search. The closest I could find were cars raced by the German tuners 'Koepchen' in the late 1960s/Early 1970s. I couldn't find many photos or details and the cars were blue and white rather than black, but I decided to make a model inspired by these cars. This one raced at the Nurburgring in 1972:
View attachment 283910

The Fibre Slot range of shells are intended to represent UK hot rods, so they come without window glass and with wheel arch extensions intended for small 13 inch wheels.

View attachment 283911

I was pleased with how well the shell represented the original BMW, which is quite a difficult shape to capture. I found it easy to cut out the windows and I also cut and modified the whell arches to accept bigger wheels and a narrower width closer to scale.
View attachment 283913

For a chassis, I modified a Scalextric New Beetle sidewinder, fitted with Scalextric BMW Mini wheels and cut down old NSR rear tyres, all from my parts box. The chassis is modified to make a sort of motor pod at the rear, which I find greatly improves the handling. Although this chassis is designed for button magnets, so far I have left it magnet-less, relying on the soft NSR tyres for grip. I'm not completely happy with the front end; the guide and front chassis are rigidly fixed to the shell and the front axle moves up and down, which seems to make it a bit 'twitchy' on long bends.
View attachment 283914
I made a plasticard interior with an SRC driver and a rollcage from a Scalextric BMW Mini
View attachment 283915
Windows were scavenged from packing material and from cheap diecast models. I cut out the grille and headlights and refitted them to give a bit more depth. The rear lights were very sketchy on the shell, so I made new ones out of plasticard. The body was painted with Montana 'Shock White' acrylic and then Tamiya TS-15 Blue aerosols: The blue is darker than Koepchen used, I think, but it's a compromise with the black I remember from my original slotcar!
View attachment 283917

I finished the car off with home-printed decals. It runs pretty well and is roughly competitive with my Scalextric Trans Am Mustang and Camaro.
View attachment 283918 View attachment 283919 View attachment 283920 View attachment 283921

1 - 20 of 23 Posts