Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the early 60's, Bob Braverman wrote for the Petersen magazines, to include Rod & Custom, and later, R&C Models. One article in particular was responsible for getting me started in slotcar racing, or more importantly, building. I'm not sure which magazine (R&C or R&CM) this was in. The article described how to modify a Strombecker Testa Rossa for a MUCH better appearance, filling in the bottoms of the sides and rear end. The article inspire me to modify a Testa Rossa body, and to go on to build my first brass scratchbuilt chassis, with a red bomb motor. I still have the chassis, and a spare body, and I'd like to go back all the way and redo the whole project.
Is anyone familiar with the article in question, and better yet, can anyone turn me on to a magazine copy or a scan of that article?
Bob also wrote on motorcycles, and his articles in R&C on modifying a Yamaha 80cc engine also inspired me to get after my own Yamaha 80, leading to a long history of building and racing bikes......not to mention an early career at Yamaha International, and meeting my wife of 36 years there, but that's another story.
Dan Wilson
Colorado Springs, CO

·
Administrator
9,640 Posts
Memory is a funny thing Dan. Turns out your article is in Model Car Science, not R&C, and it's by Bob Rolofson, not Bob Braverman... From the August 1963 issue... Thanks for asking the question by the way: right after this article is another one on "unconventional" road racing guides, ie, fallaway pickups in particular, and we've been wondering where they came from. No author credited on the article, but probably by Rolofson too, since he is credited in Car Craft as one of the inventors of the fallaway pickup...

If you need a paper photocopy, feel free to ask. Even unmodified, I very much like the Strommie Testa Rossa...

Don

·
Administrator
9,640 Posts
And a couple of my Testa Rossas: a Strombecker body with a Cox iso-fulcrum chassis, and a Lili-Ledy (Mexican) Testa Rossa, Eldon style, next to a stock Strombecker...

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Dan
Is Bob braverman still about ? ,seem to remember that he did some pretty high quality fibreglass shells back in the early days of slot racing ,shame they wern,t generally available in this country

cheers tony

·
Administrator
9,640 Posts
Tony,

Unfortunately, Bob Braverman died rather young, quite a number of years ago... his son was on SlotBlog at one point, and I think Philippe was in contacct with him.

He was definitely one of the early movers of slot car racing in the United States, and a pretty good slot drag racer too, before moving on to bikes and other things full time.

His bodies do pop up occasionally, like Auto Hobbies fg bodies, but not always labeled... wonder how he found the time to do all that staff? Oh yeah, he didn't spend all his time on the Internet...

Don

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don, many thanks!
The memory does play tricks, and after all these years, only the image of what the car looked like was correct. Your info gives me what I wanted, and the alloy wheels shown are a good thing, too, as the remains of my old chassis still have three of the Mille miglia (I think) wheels still attached, a bit unlike the ones in the article. Have to wrestle with using the incorrect wheels, perhaps it was about the last (and first) time I would have done that...
Again, many thanks...will have to figure out how to post photos when the project gets going. I do remember running the Ferrari at a slot track in North Hollywood, and decided to see what it would do on the dragstrip. A run at twelve volts did not impress, so tried 18v. Better, but youthful enthusiasm then took over, and the next run at 24 volts made a pretty neat blue flash about halfway down in the original red bomb Mabuchi. Any idea where I can source a pair of MRRC "Knobby" rear tires? Will try E&Js first....
Tony, when is the next big VSCC Club event at Prescott? Still in awe of that day.
Dan

·
Administrator
9,640 Posts
You're welcome Dan - love your story about the dragstrip and the Red Bomb - a very appropriate name! I'm surprised it didn't already blow up at 18V...

EJ's might well have some of the original tires, either MRRC or Strombecker versions. There's also a guy on ebay who does a lot of Strombecker repro items, Tiny Motors I think... If that doesn't work, I might have something in my boxes too...

Hope you get the camera fired up and can share some picture with us.

Don

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi Dan
THe VSCC I think run a couple of meetings a year at prescott ,and I believe their calender is over for this year
so they will be running next year now
probably in the august date like the one you came to
however the VSCC run meetings all year round at tracks and hillclimbs around the country so perhaps when you make you next trip over this way you need to look at the vscc calender first and pick one that suits you .
I think I,ve got a pair of the larger MRRC diamonds somewhere ,they are probably the hard variety but if you,d like them i,ll pop them in a jiffy bag for you

cheers tony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts