SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the latest Mini from Scaley.
Very nice little car!
But can anyone tell me what the little dots & letter C stand for?
Cheers,
Kev.

·
David H
3,749 Posts
The C represents the class the car raced in at the 1966 Gallaher 500. Entries were divided into four classes based on the purchase price of the car, D being the most expensive and A the cheapest.

No idea what the dots were for - to help identify that Mini among the many others racing, perhaps? The race was dominated by the Morris Cooper S, which took the first nine places, so if Scalextric's marketing department has any sense, it will produce at least a dozen different liveries from the same event (hopefully minus this model's roll cage). There are loads of us, I'm sure, who would buy most of them.

Wikipedia: Gallaher 500. Mount Panorama, Bathurst. 2nd October 1966

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Silly of me. I figured the orange dots were lane markers.
Narh, Dopamine is right, they are ID dots.

Though, I had always been taught the classes were more division between size and power than price.

·
Administrator
10,123 Posts
QUOTE (Dopamine @ 2 Jun 2012, 02:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>so if Scalextric's marketing department has any sense, it will produce at least a dozen different liveries from the same event (hopefully minus this model's roll cage). There are loads of us, I'm sure, who would buy most of them.

Oh and if they revisit it, get rid of the wheel arches, add some tape on the headlights, add the missing door mirror and get the size of the roundels right. I sometimes wish the acceptance department at Margate would earn their money...

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
QUOTE (Ember @ 2 Jun 2012, 03:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Silly of me. I figured the orange dots were lane markers.
Narh, Dopamine is right, they are ID dots.

Though, I had always been taught the classes were more division between size and power than price.

Yep, classes were based on price of the car rather than engine size. Go figure?? I think they changed that in 1973, when classes were then based on engine capacity. A = 1300cc B = 1301-2000, C = 2001-3000 D >3000

cheers
rick1776

1 - 7 of 7 Posts