SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this question is aimed at Aaron from Gaugemaster but others may well have valid points.

Why can't manufacturers sell just their car bodies, both liveried and plain white?.

It seems a very simple question, but I'm not aware of any manufacturer that does it.

It would solve a lot of peoples problems. The bodies produced today are superb but time and time again we hear about problems with particular cars regarding wheels fixings, poor chassis etc. allowing the sale of just bodies would allow those who wished to use their own choice of components.

For the racing fraternity it would be a boon as they could use one body for racing and retain one for display.

After all you can get full bodyshells in the 1:1 and the RC car world so why not in 1/32nd?.

Manufacturers are knocking out these bodies by the thousands so why not a few for the after sales market?

I throw it open.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
376 Posts
Alan

You have a very valid points and I agree with it 100%...... I think they are missing out on a lot of extra money that they could be making by doing just their bodies after they do their normal production runs......

We all crash our cars and all the bodies will need replacing over time..... Monogram and Revell use to do it in the good old days... And I have just read (I think on this board) that Monogram will be doing it again this time round too.. They will have all their bodies for sale........

Yes, if you hunt you can find bodies.... Pendle has always been good to me in getting bodies I am looking for.. he has even broken up new cars to get me a body
Thanks Sean.....

But it would be nice to have all the manufactures doing this.... If the molds are not worn out then put them to use instead of sitting on a self somewhere......

Chris.....

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yes, yes, yes, yes give us the body kits in white for the scratch builders and as replacements, for others. PPPPPlllllleeeeeaaaassseee!!!

Surely they can make money on them!!!!

It should not hurt the collector market, as it would not increase the amount of factory liveried bodies out there, as few could duplicate them that well, with out a home tampo machine.

Larry S.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Cartrix already sell bodies and chassis seperatly, but not many people want them... lol

You have got to see it from the manufacturers point of view. You say that they are missing out on a lot of money because so many people want 'just the body', but are they making more money because people who would pay, say, a tenner for 'just a body' are really paying £30 for a whole car, when they just need a body? In some cases, they are losing £10 through not selling a body, but in others they are making £30 by selling a whole car. I strongly suspect that if someone NEEDS a new body, they will buy a whole car, I know I would.

I realise this would save us money, but the manufacturers don't care about saving us money, just making the most money for themselves.

You see?

Lotus

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
I'm sure many would only buy the bodies, but many of those would not have bought the RTRs anyway. Only a few will buy the RTRs mainly to get the bodies (like me). And they wouldn't really lose, because I'd buy even more product! - it'd just be a LOT of bodies and a FEW RTRs. They'd be happy - I'd be happy. Win-win situation!

·
Registered
398 Posts
The white bodies would mainly sell to the scratch builders. Who are few in number anymore with hopefully some new ones coming on line as they get exposed to it by way of the net. The majority of customers have no inclination to buy a body and build something to fit it.

The few kit bashers may buy a body to put a RTR chassis under. But then they have to use a chassis they already have under another body. Or buy a replacement chassis and all the goodies to make it work. In effect buying another RTR.

If I was a manufacturer I would exploit all ways to make a buck by making spare complete chassis with out bodies available, as well as bodies in the white.

Increased production overall, reduces cost per unit made. How can they lose. They can cover the scratch builder, the kit basher, and the majority of RTR buyers. It will still not affect the collector market in any way. So everyone is happy!!!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
While I definitely support the call for spare bodies, I have a feeling that one reason it might not be popular with manufacturers is that the bods would have to be quite expensive to support the price charged for a complete, finished car. We probably have a fair idea of the price of the other parts in a car - let's face it there isn't much to any plastic car, other than the fancy painted body itself.

Say the car costs you £25-£30 complete - I wonder what would people want to actually pay for a plain white body?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Say £30 for a car.

Motor £5-10

Metal bits £5

Tyres £2

Chassis £5

Guide and other plastic bits £2

That leaves between £6-11 for a body. I think this sounds fair, but only if we can convince them. Ninco would be a good company to start with as their bodies are uncomplicated and very good quality. Unfortunatly, we don't have anyone on the inside...

Lotus

·
Registered
420 Posts
yes ninco would be nice...

carrera bodies would not be too bad either... I mean a couple of white wing muscle cars, some mustangs or even a hotted camaro etc...

but then for me - well, I'm not really with it yet when it comes to home made chassis...

//peter

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Without a doubt, the bodies on RTRs are the single most costly item. But, and I may well be wrong, I would doubt if a plain white version of the body could be worth more than 20-25% of the complete car. Without paint, tampo work, interiors (which could also be offered separately!) and fancy packaging, bare white shells in a simple blister pack wouldn't carry the same cost as the body on a complete RTR.

Would enough sell to make it worthwhile for the manufacturers? I don't know. They don't need to invest in anything, just run additional copies of bare shells (and possibly bare interiors too) which actually lowers their price-per-unit cost. Then again, they have to package the bare shells and also fit them into their distribution scheme.

Will it hurt sales of RTRs? I don't think it would. Very few people buy the RTR just to get the body for scratchbuilding purposes. And I doubt that a significant number buy a duplicate RTR just because the body on the first got damaged.

For me personally, I would still buy the same number of RTRs because I want the factory liveried versions and intend to run the cars anyway. But I would buy additional bare shells for scratchbuilding, and would jump at them because it isn't easy to find good 1/32 plastic models and plastic kits aren't cheap anyway. But I'm probably not the typical buyer.

I imagine the manufacturers aren't doing it because they just don't perceive that the market for bare shells is large enough.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I agree with the most of you : I too would like to buy plain white bodies, complete with all the accessories, to paint by myself. In the world almost all things have replacement parts : see the huge quantity of mini Z and other R/C car parts; also RTF R/C planes have replacement wings, fuselages and canopies, and R/C helicopters too. Only slot cars bodies don't have this bonus, and also if you miss mirrors, lights and wings there are no chances to obtain new ones; I think it's a case of bad marketing : in the end I will buy less unrepairable cars, and keep running with old wrinkled glued crooked dusty machinery.

Ciao

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Revell appear to be one of the first manufacturers, offering complete bodies in the future, already assembled and painted (Daytona, etc).

Also, Scalextric model kits could be a possible alternative, looks like they will be releasing a few more kits later this year too.

The white Scalextric cars were a good idea, but too expensive and limited in the U.K. which kind of defeated the object.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts