SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished the first step in creating my first rubbermould , creating a "buck" using Bondo body filler poured into a vac formed body .
The resulting casts look quite promising , a few pin holes to fill and some fine detail to add ( door lines and scoop areas to deepen ) .
I have seen several articles about resin moulding but none of them show how to create "seal offs" in the mould for the glass areas .
Does anyone have any ideas or links ?
The body filler works very well at a fraction of the cost of hobby resin , and is very workable after setting . Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera so I wont be able to do an illustrated step by step . The two cars I am working with are the Chap 2F and Mclaren M8a aquired from E.Pay with Riko chassis,s .

Richard

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
By sounds of it I think you'll need to do a two part mould to get the best results. Here's a great 'how to' article on two part moulding Mark Gussin

And here's another Alumilite

I'll be posting how I did my two part Bentley mould soon.

Alternativley if you're slush casting the body filler you can create a 'dam' effect by building up the inside of the vacform in the window areas, this will prevent any body filler flowing into theses areas when slushing.

Regards,
MAF

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks for the Mark Gussin link , dont know how I missed that one .
I,m not actually making the body from filler , that was just to create the master .
Good luck with the Bentley is that a 1920,s or a 2002 ?

Richard

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Hi Richard,

Its going to be the 1938 Bentley Embiricos as raced at Lemans in 1949-51.

Still crafting all the detail bits on the slush cast (below) at the moment before I do a two part mould. Here's the latest pic...

Best regards.
Marlon.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Marlon

Very impresive a little more advanced than my slab sided GT,s : )
Did you carve the master or was it a copied from an original body ?
Perusing the local art store yesterday I noticed they had clear casting resin , is this strong enough for a slot body ?

Richard

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Richard,

I scratchbuilt the master...

Here's the mould...

I used a synthetic clay than can be fired in a domestic oven to construct the master. There is a post on this forum 'Bentley part 1', but I broke the links to the pictures somehow. There's a link to the supplier and type of resin I used on that post.

With regards to the clear resin, it depends on the type. Polyester resin is more brittle than polyurethane resin which I use and clear is available in both types. I haven't used polyester resin so can't be sure how brittle it is or how it would stand up to my driving (regular shunts
).

Marlon.

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Marlon......You know I'm going to want one of those shells for my 1930's grid...

Regards

Alan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts