SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Circuit Owner
5,960 Posts
Can you post photos?

I use resin body mounting posts for some and use 2mm plasticard for others - it depends on what chassis and the shape of the body.

In either case epoxy resin is your best friend

·
Alexis Gaitanis
2,487 Posts
There is 2 evergreen plastic tube sizes usefull for this job OD 4.71 and 3.18mm( I think the sizes in inches are 3/16 and 1/8
) that fit perfectly one in the other enabling us to make a telecopic joint.
I cut a piece each one for each body post I want to make.Length should be shorter than needed for the chassis to reach the body.I screw the 3.18 dia pieces on the chassis paying attention to be vertical.

23627134224_992a123326_c.jpgCIMG4981 by alexisgaitanis, on Flickr
Then I slip on them the 4.71 dia pieces.I strip the body from cockpit and windshiled.Then I attach the chassis on the body using oversized tires and axles so that the wheels will sit centered in wheel wells

24147222722_16dba72474_c.jpgCIMG4982 by alexisgaitanis, on Flickr
I pay attention so that the inner tubes DO NOT contact the body whereas the external tubes do contact it.Through the windshield openings I apply some epoxy glue to attach the outer body posts to the body and when the epoxy sets I remove the body.I add more epoxy to strengthen the bond.If everything is right I get half of the body post on the body and half on the chassis.No glue yet.

24255380485_bb31c17204_c.jpgCIMG4980 by alexisgaitanis, on Flickr
Then I fit the car with appropriate wheels and axles,adjust the chassis height ,then fill the body side posts with static modell glue or cyano(I prefer the former because it gives you time to correct errors)

25239085047_34b41f31ef_b.jpgCanAm004 by alexisgaitanis, on Flickr

·
Mike
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that Alexis, great photo's and a neat idea. That was sort of what I hoped someone had done ,it makes a neat job. I will hope to get on with it this PM

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yet a short addition.The basic principle very often is similar, so is mine. Pieces of round tubing embedded in 2K glue. In my case standard position as used mostly and most efficient for performance, 4 points near the wheels.

Have a look at the holes in the white tubing. You see a blue ring. This is a piece ( ca. 8 mm, or as fits ) of wire insulation from house installation cable. It is being glued into the tubings and provides an absolute secure screw lock. I´m usually using metric screws M2.

Regards, Arkay

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,368 Posts
Alexis, very informative. The one step I am not sure about is the final step. I'm guessing you glue the point where the body post and the chasis post overlap? So you glue around the bottom part of the body mounted post where the first part of the chassis mounted post shows?

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
since your using a pcs chassis you've got flat pieces either side, I,d go with pete_slots method, but id use 1.5 ally angle. cut 2 pieces to fit and screw them to the chassis with just enough side pressure to hold the body in place. set the chassis on a set up plate apply epoxy to the sides of the ally, slip the body on and use 2 packing pieces front and back to set the height of the body and the angle you want it to sit. John

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I've successfully used Alexis's method (with a Milliput twist) twice now. I'll be doing it at least twice more. Thanks very much for sharing, Alexis.
thumbsup.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.