SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
re member
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock of collected/found/scrounged body screws has almost gone and I am looking for some suggestions as where I can get replacements at a reasonable cost per unit.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
regards and TIA

·
Registered
415 Posts
If you are prepared to order from USA or Canada: Slot Car Corner has a line of different sizes of body screws. What I particularly like is that some of them have a smooth shank: great for body movement.

·
Robb
581 Posts
Scalextric ones from your local (or not so) supplier?

·
re member
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you gentlemen, a few ideas there that I hadn't considered.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
It would be far more economical to buy your screws from and industrial fastners supplier rather than a slot shop, here's an example of the kind of thing you should be looking for that would do the job here. Which gauge/diameter and length required would depend on what your using them on of course. I use M2* x 9 self tappers in all my scratch builds.

*Edit: 'M2' is not a good description of the screws I use see posts 11, 12 below.

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,740 Posts
Thanks Marlon

I have been following John's thread and had found those screws but wasn't sure if they were suitable for slot cars.
Just needed to work out if I need 1/4 or 3/8 screws so your link is helpful as it seems you use the 1/4

I see they are No.2 which are 2.2mm - I also found these LINK which are M2 stainless steel so I think that means 2mm - I think some makes use an M2.5 screw.

In my searching online slot.it offer 2.2mmx8mm screws and 2.2x5.3mm MB Slot offer M2x8mm screws
I would assume the 2.2mm and 2mm should be interchangeable
I measured some of the screws I have: some were ~2mm Ninco and Scalextric others were larger 2.4mm Scalextric and Rev Mon - oh I am so confused.

good thing they are only a few dollars for 100 of them

cheers
DM

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
HI DM, the link in your post is to plain threaded M2 screws, for our application you need to make sure they are the self tapping variety, they generally have a sharper coarser thread so they can cut their own thread as they are screwed into the body post giving a more tighter, secure fit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try Model Fixings
Enter main page, go to fixings look for panel screws and self tapers.
M2 are .4 pitch thread (same as slot It grub screws) M2.5 are .45 pitch and not suit for fixing body. Maybe 2.2 self taper is closer to what you need.
Model fixing will refund the VAT for non UK dudes after checkout . Good to deal with.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
I'll second that, the 2.2 are the ones I use with a pozi pan head, I normally drill a 2.0mm hole in the mounting post and secure with these.

·
Registered
336 Posts
QUOTE (MAF @ 13 Oct 2011, 11:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I use M2* x 9 in all my scratch builds.

I use metric M2 x 9 as well. Since my body posts are all filled with pieces of stripped off wire insulation for better ( alomst never-exhausted
) wear of the thread, M2 screws are the optimum alternative.
When I need them self-tapping I take a Dremel and a cutting disc and engrave three small cuts 30° angled to each other into the shaft and so have my self tapping screws.

Roland

·
re member
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Guys
I have placed an order with modelfixings which was a sampler of screws,washers and grubscrews.
I did get the 2.2 screws included...so we wait and see.

Thank you all for comments and suggestions I appreciate the shared info.

regards

1 - 14 of 14 Posts