SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Jim Moyes
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bognor night 2009 championship kicks off on 8/1/09.

Classes will be;

1. Hornby NASCAR.
2. 60's front engined GT and sports cars - that's real front engined, the model can have it's motor elsewhere.
3. SCX 70's rally.
4. Ninco Vintage.
5. 60's Saloons.
6. Powersledge.

These classes will run on 22/1/09, 5/2/09 & 19/2/09.

Race fees are £5.

Visitors will be made welcome and loan cars can usually be found if advance warning is given. So if you fancy a go at club racing that is more about the "thrill of the dice" than who can build the fastest car with the stickiest tyres, drop me a PM.

·
Jim Moyes
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Last night for the current classes is this Thursday the 19th March.

New classes have been picked for the next set.

1. Hornby GT
2. Classic (Pre 85) 1.0 Touring cars
3. 4x4 Rally
4. 50's Saloons
5. Open GT
6. Ninco Vintage NC1

Dates are 2nd, 16th & 30th and 14th May.

·
Jim Moyes
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New classes picked last night.

1. Pre-67 Saloons up to 1600cc. Open class so scratchbuilts, resin kits and modified cars OK.
2. 50's LeMans. Again an open class to allow non-standard stuff a run.
3. Carrera Group 5. Any standard Carrera Porsche 934/5, Ferrari 512BB, Opel Commodore Jumbo, Chevy Monza or De Tomaso Pantera.
4. 2wd Rally. Any standard rally car driving only on one axle.
5. Modern F1. Mid 90's-ish onwards F1. Anything from Ninco F1s onwards really.
6. Hornby GT. Any standard modern Hornby GT car.

These are for meeting dates;

28th May, 11th & 25th June & 9th July.

Was great to see Sandy (Aerodynamic) back at the club again. Hope the long trip home was speedy and uneventful and we'll see you again soon.

·
Jim Moyes
5,103 Posts
For the first time in ages the competitors numbered in double figures which meant the chances were much higher than normal of not getting your class pick for the next group. Despite being a bit hectic and some messing about with the lap counters, it was an enjoyable night and the lucky people who drew race numbers 1-6 came up with the following classes;

1. Fly GT
2. Japanese Sports Cars - Corrected to Japanese Rally Cars (see following post)
3. 60s LeMans
4. Porsches
5. Rally Raid
6. Hornby Scalextric 54-60 GP - Early RX + Power & Glory cars may be fitted with Ortmanns

Dates are 23rd July, 6th & 20th August and 3rd September.

·
Jim Moyes
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correction to Class No.2.

This is now Japanese rally cars - Les wanted to run his Ninco "Tuning" Lancer Evo but as it wasn't in a rally livery thought he'd need to call it something else.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
More rally cars. That's a big "whoopie doo!" from me, then.

·
Jim Moyes
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Twelve racers for the latest picking night, meant there was only a 50% chance of your choice getting selected!

The classes for the next set falling on 17/9, 1/10, 15/10 & 29/10 are as follows;

1. Ninco GT - Any standard issue GT car from Ninco from the Porsche 911/934 to date. No Pro-race versions.
2. 60's Saloons up to 1600 - Any standard model from any manufacturer of a saloon car no larger than 1600cc made in the 60's.
3. Open Saloons - Any saloon car, modified to taste!
4. Modern LM - Prototype LeMans cars from 1990 onwards from any manufacturer. Standard class.
5. GT2 - Any manufacturer's GT2 cars. This is our old GT2 class that was mostly made up of Proslot Ferraris and Porsches. Other makes are allowed, Vipers, Venturis, Saleens etc.
6. SCX LeMans - Any LeMans car from SCX, prototype or GT.

A noticable backlash against the classic classes we have seen so much of this year, with only the 60's saloons from that genre.

Remember that a car can only be used in one class on the night.

Jim

·
Registered
973 Posts
Hi Jim,

Hope you got my PM the other day - the old SCX Jag and Mazda are fine, and will probably thrash anything posterity has developed. I'm starting to wonder if much progress is really being made on the technical side of slot racing, but you probably noticed that already.

·
Jim Moyes
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, got the PM Sandy.

Added bonus of allowing the SRS2 cars is the club has 4 that the newbs can use if they don't want to buy their own!

See you Thursday,

Jim

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Jim,
I did some research on the Lamborghini Gallardo GT2, and came up with THIS (scroll to the bottom of the page for GT2) and THIS so it looks like Karl's car is eligible.

·
Jim Moyes
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks good enough to me, Peter.

That first link is interesting though. When Aurelius picked the class he asked me if his Fly Saleen was a GT2 car as that's what he wanted to race. That link gives it as a GT1 car.

I think the problem lies with the classifications getting shifted around by the race organisers. When we first started to use the real categories as class definitions the GT1s were protoype cars like the Toyota GT1, Porsche 911GT1 etc, GT2 was modified GT cars like the 911 GT2, Saleen etc and GT3 was for nearer standard road going GT cars.

So I suppose it's best to call it GT2/3. Or keep it at GT2 and allow any car that's ever had that classification under the old or new rules.

I'm also keen to clarify the tyre situation for the next set of classes. I will check with the people who picked so there is no confusion when we start to race.

For now though, I can confirm that the Ninco GT and Modern LeMans prototype classes are for absolutely box stock cars with the tyres they are supplied with. That also excludes any Pro Race Ninco. Obviously Kevin's Open saloon class by definition means you can run any tyres you prefer.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Hi Jim,

Just to let you know that I won't be making it this Thursday - two school parents' meetings this week, the joys of twins at different schools!

This GT2/3 debate looks confusing. Aurelius definitely thinks his Saleen is GT2, but that's because it has 'GT02' printed on the side. I think the 02 refers to the year.

Cheers

Sandy

·
Jim Moyes
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok Sandy, I'll let the others know.

Will we be seeing you at Goodwood at all over the weekend?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
QUOTE (aerodynamic @ 15 Sep 2009, 08:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>This GT2/3 debate looks confusing.
You are not kidding! Here we are, with one day to go, and I still don't know what cars we are allowed to run. Is it GT1? GT2? GT3? or all three?

·
Jim Moyes
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let's say, for now, it's current GT1, old and new GT2, and old GT3.

So no old GT1s, Porsche, Toyota etc, but virtually any other RTR post 1990 GT car.

Except Saleens

Just kidding

·
Registered
973 Posts
Goodwood would be a massive luxury for me. No, I'm taxi driver in chief, gadding around the inner suburbs of London as Aurelius's school, joy of joys, has compulsory sport at weekends and Susan and Claire are off on their things, so we can't even divide the taxi-ing.

As for classes, perhaps we need to revert more to manufacturer-specific races for all, or if that's too dull, then class pickers should specify exactly which manufacturers (i.e the Proslot GT2s) - more than one often, but nonetheless specified. And have a maximum of one completely open class (e.g. saloons) per series. Maybe someone could draw up a list of eligible cars for all classes - now that would be a labour of love and doubtless much swearing.

Cheers

Sandy

·
Registered
973 Posts
Hi Jim,

Online so thought I'd say looking forward to next class list so that can be better prepared next time and hopefully will be able to race the cars I want (not Aurelius!)

Cheers

Sandy

PS Did you ever go to Russ (the Battersea Rise model shop)?

·
Jim Moyes
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Last picking night of the year has now passed and the final classes are as follows;

1. SCX Classic (Pre 85) 2wd Rally
2. Ninco Vintage
3. 70's F1
4. NASCAR
5. 1/24 excluding F1
6. BTCC

Dates are 12th & 26th November and 10th December. The following meeting falls on christmas eve, so is provisionally cancelled at the moment, but could be run if there is enough interest.

QUOTE (aerodynamic @ 20 Oct 2009, 10:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>PS Did you ever go to Russ (the Battersea Rise model shop)?

Not yet, but I will be going past again on Thursday. In my truck as always, so not easy to park anywhere close by.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Hi Jim,

Is BTCC an open class? Or is it standard manufacturers? Quite a few of the recent winners of the real thing don't seem to be available in 1/32 - so can we go as far back as Alfa 155s and Sierra Cosworths?

Questions, questions, always questions, but I'm afraid you're the oracle on these matters!

Cheers

Sandy

·
Jim Moyes
5,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sandy, they have to be standard RTR cars, but you can go back through the history of BTCC. SD1s, Sierras, E30 BMWs or more modern machinery such as Seat Leons, Astra coupes and Peugeot 406 Coupe (but not the Silhouette version).

1 - 20 of 116 Posts