SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hi Jim,

Hope you got my PM the other day - the old SCX Jag and Mazda are fine, and will probably thrash anything posterity has developed. I'm starting to wonder if much progress is really being made on the technical side of slot racing, but you probably noticed that already.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hi Jim,

Just to let you know that I won't be making it this Thursday - two school parents' meetings this week, the joys of twins at different schools!

This GT2/3 debate looks confusing. Aurelius definitely thinks his Saleen is GT2, but that's because it has 'GT02' printed on the side. I think the 02 refers to the year.

Cheers

Sandy

·
Registered
974 Posts
Goodwood would be a massive luxury for me. No, I'm taxi driver in chief, gadding around the inner suburbs of London as Aurelius's school, joy of joys, has compulsory sport at weekends and Susan and Claire are off on their things, so we can't even divide the taxi-ing.

As for classes, perhaps we need to revert more to manufacturer-specific races for all, or if that's too dull, then class pickers should specify exactly which manufacturers (i.e the Proslot GT2s) - more than one often, but nonetheless specified. And have a maximum of one completely open class (e.g. saloons) per series. Maybe someone could draw up a list of eligible cars for all classes - now that would be a labour of love and doubtless much swearing.

Cheers

Sandy

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hi Jim,

Online so thought I'd say looking forward to next class list so that can be better prepared next time and hopefully will be able to race the cars I want (not Aurelius!)

Cheers

Sandy

PS Did you ever go to Russ (the Battersea Rise model shop)?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hi Jim,

Is BTCC an open class? Or is it standard manufacturers? Quite a few of the recent winners of the real thing don't seem to be available in 1/32 - so can we go as far back as Alfa 155s and Sierra Cosworths?

Questions, questions, always questions, but I'm afraid you're the oracle on these matters!

Cheers

Sandy

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting list. Is JWRC Japanese World Rally class?

And as for Aurelius's Sunred pick - will this cause confusion now that it's been defined as NOT Daytona prototype? And is Cartrix GP make-defined or is this class 50s F1 - does the club have any? (I suspect not, given their price.)

Cheers

Sandy.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Basically, Aurelius got a Sunred for Xmas and would like to race it against comparable cars - not against Slot-it's finest or NSRs or even Fly Racers or Ninco pro-Racers - as we like to race our cars. (I agree with Jim the Riley is not one I want on my shelves for aesthetic reasons alone.) We would be happy to change the class to reflect this.

As to the Cartrix cars, I can't find one for less than £35 on the internerd, and that's a Maserati 250F - I don't want another one. I certainly don't want to buy two, especially with the holidays coming up.

Could we do a straw poll? If whoever chose the Cartrix class is not coming, surely the class could be overridden by simple majority, or edited to be 50s GP, which lots of us have or can lend? I'd even be prepared to Araldite my home-made chassis to my Betta and Classic Lancia D50 if we were short of cars!

Geoff said to me last week that he much preferred the non-manufacturer specific classes as otherwise we do end up buying cars we wouldn't otherwise (and thanks, Jim, for lending the Carrera DTMs) and I think I'm coming round to his point of view.

I think that Jim's idea of a list of eligible classes is a good one - the trick is to keep it as simple as possible while covering variations (e.g. the different motors some mfrs supply the same model with - Ninco Ferrari 360s or Gallardos for example).

·
Registered
974 Posts
I've done a bit of research on the interweb and have come up with the following JWRC eligible cars:

SCX Citroen C2
SCX Citroen Saxo
SCX Ford Fiesta
SCX Suzuki Swift

Ninco Fiat Punto
Ninco Citroen Saxo
Ninco Renault Clio (2nd version)?

Sloter Opel Corsa

Power Slot VW Polo

As I read it, NSRs are not eligible for Clios or Grande Puntos because they're based on 2-litre cars.

Please feel free to add/delete

·
Registered
974 Posts
Sorry Jim, getting Saxos and C4s in a twist.

So, for JWRC we can use pre-2001 cars? As for the Cartrix issue what can one say? 'There's nowt so queer as folk!'.

For the Sunred let's go with Fly GT1, excluding Fly Racer/Racing (whatever it's called).

·
Registered
974 Posts
Do you know if Geoff will amend the Cartrix GP? I usually have to buy the odd car for today's classes as I was away for a year or five but the next group would entail an extra Scalex LMP car (£20ish - fine) and two Cartrix GPs (c. £100 - not fine). Given that it's a minimum £15 a visit that would jack it up to £45 a visit! The pips start to squeak. He may not like Sunreds and Rileys, but I don't particularly like 50s Gordinis and Bugattis and Vanwalls and BRMs and Maseratis have been done to death. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Thanks, Jim. Never reluctant not to buy something! Presume discussion will take place tomorrow on club car night. Look forward to resolution of problems. It's ironic for me that by the time Pressbutton Junior has told me what JWRC means and that I've looked it up and I think I need to acquire a whole lot of new rally cars - funnily enough may get some anyway, they look quite nice - that it turns out we can use some golden oldies - OK, probably leaden oldies in the case of my old SCXs.

It's annoying that I have to dash after sessions to get home otherwise we could have a brief discussion at the time of choosing classes. I wonder if there's some way we could get 'consensus' classes - maybe ask everybody, including moderately frequent attenders, to nominate up to 20 classes they like and then run it through Excel or equivalent to narrow it down a bit (i.e. see what's in the middle of the Bell curve). This could be updated annually or so.

Hopefully see you tomorrow week.

·
Registered
974 Posts
So Geoff may as well sit out the 2-litre and under as his 16's in the bag, while we lesser mortals struggle for the scraps! Help - Any suggestions for competitive vehicles?

·
Registered
974 Posts
I was going to ask about the early 60s' Revell 'vette but you and p-button have answered my question. I'm just going to have to come for the next picking class so that some of my exotica - it's all relative - get a run! It would be nice to get out of standard RTR and50s' time warp for GP. See you this Thursday, I hope.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hi Jim,

We should be seeing you this Thursday - just want to double check - does club have Hornby Nascars and SCX Modern touring? Otherwise we'll have to beg and borrow. Also with Ninco GT1 I presume this is for ordinary, non-Prorace cars. Are Ascaris eligible? The important thing about ignorance is not to be ashamed of it!

Cheers

Sandy

·
Registered
974 Posts
Does Revell 60s sport include 904s and King Cobras? Presume it does. Also is SCX rally any SCX rally or modern SCX rally? Finally is postwar pre-60 the usual suspects, Cartrix and modern Hornby (I've got 3 nearly finished scratchbuilds - should I rush?)? I'll try and come down next Thursday.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I'll carry on scratching then - trouble is there seems to be some formula for scratch cars in that the time they take to finish is something like - (time between now and next meeting + 1 day) - and if you have more than one make that exponential!

As a hostage to fortune I'll say I have no excuse for not finishing at least one!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hi Jim,

Just to confirm that Carrera Mille Miglia includes: Ferrari Uovo, Aston DB3 and Maser A6GS - am I missing anything?

Did Brian get that information about Dave Jones bodies? He can e-mail him direct at [email protected] if he's still interested.

Hope to see you all next week.

Cheers

Sandy

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.