SlotForum banner
141 - 160 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
Not sure if this means spring has sprung but we welcomed another new member. Owen, welcome to Bolwextric Slot Car Racing Club.

We started with Modern F1, I had my worst round, but then it had been my pick, only Sandy did worse than me. Jim won with 31, 3 clear of Keith. New boy Owen did rather too well.

Sandy pulled out the Golfs and it was soon another winning 31 for Jim this time shared with Tony. Sandy scored much better but by now his first corner antics had everyone on their toes.

Guess who picked Pro Truck, but that didn't stop Jim winning, this time with a miserly 30.

So by the break something strange had happened, I had spotted that the wrong person was on at the start box and what's even more bizarre - I knew who should have been there. Jim was well in the clouds with 92 while Owen, Sandy and myself were lingering too long under 50.

Jim went a bit heavy with Carrerra Muscle, and DIDN'T WIN, in what was an incredibly close outcome with as many as could tied like this: Keith and Wes 25, Jim and Owen 21, Sandy and Tony 18 and I was on my own but not last with 19.

Keith finished us off with 512, this was so some of us could pick out a good car for a forthcoming Thursday class, needless to say in the heat of battle I omitted to do that. In the racing the curse was on Keith as he slumped to his lowest score. Another tie for the win with Tony on 30, along with Jim.

So another round goes to Jim, how does he do that, he never seems to go that fast, he even had a brace of 1s' but the points just seem to stick to him, this time 143 of them. Tony Keith and Wes were not far away from him so that left few points to be shared by Sandy, Owen and me. Somehow I came top in that battle of the "others", but it could have gone any way.

Just one round left of this championship and neither classes are absolutely certain, and did Jim say he would be missing a Monday? If it is this Club then it will be a straight fight for victory by Keith and Tony. That final round will be a reversio on the 16th March.

Clubmans - after a slow start clubmans is filling up fast, What I didn't know, but now do, is that if you have won a championship you are not eligible for Clubmans. So after the final round I may need to know if Keith or Tony or Jim have won a Bolwextric Championship? By referring to the to the excellent results archive on the web site I see that Jim has won almost all, Tony a few but Keith none, so he needs to watch out. (Cos we don't want him in clubmans, nothing personal).

Bolwextric Racing results.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Bolwextric Club has another new member, a big welcome to Tim.
This was the final round of this Spring Championship and it was run in reverse direction.

Sandy got us going with Pro Trucks, Sandy started with a second place while my first race was last place, so I was surprised to finish the class ahead of Sandy. Enough of the bottom feeders - Not surprisingly Tony won the class with 29 with Jim 2 behind.

Keith pulled us into Focus - I suppose he will do this often as he now runs a full size version. Keith did well with 29 but the winner was Jim 32.

I plumbed the depths of the end cupboard with SRS 2, these are suffering from track roditis and several cars ended up racing with crosseyed front wheels. I seemed to get more than my fair share of these, including with the fast one so I was denied a possible win. I was therefore chuffed to end up with my score clustered with the majority - close to 20, Keith's 27 was enough to seal him a class win.

At the break Jim was in charge, just, from Keith then Tony, Tim was going for a target of 60 in his first evening he was doing very well with 43, everyone else was clustered in the low 50s'.
Austin Healey where Tim's pick and Tony had a clear win with 33 followed by Jim and Keith both on 27, this made Tony and Jim tied going into the final class. Jim had a bit of bad luck as one car he raced mysteriously started with a rear tyre well off the rim, Jim soon reprogrammed himself and managed to take the bumpy beast to 4 points.

Jim had the final pick of the championship and went for Punto. Despite starting the class with a 1 Wes finished the class with 24, but Tony was well out in front on 30, with Keith then Jim following.

Another Championship win for Jim from Tony then Keith, in the Clubmans Wes was the winner. Well done to them both. The summer Championship starts on March 30th, when we will be going forwards. You can see more data about this Championship on the web site where you can find the scores, points and classes of car used in championships going back over time.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
First round of the Summer Champs. We had no TOP up to the clubmans class, by points and attendance it would have been Keith, reference to the excellent on line Bolwextric Club results archive showed that despite a history of 2nd and 3rd places Keith had won no champs. But he did win a MFR club championship, so I think that blocks him from clubmans.

Accords are the most popular class pick of this club and Wes wasted no time in making sure the kept their status by making Accords the first class of the Championship. Lots of close racing ensued with Tony winning with 30, most of the other clustered around mid 20s'.

Jim dragged the BTCC out of the end cupboard and even more close racing lead to a tie for Tony and Keith with 27 each. Again lots of mid 20 score to support. Tim found out how tricky this class is compared to the "easy" accords as he plummeted to a 6, lesson learned eh Tim?

Tony found the Cosworth (somewhere), Jim won with 30 with Wes on 27, while the gaggle centred around 20.

At the break Tony on 82 with Jim a point behind and Wes and Keith well in the running.

I went open wheel with Modern F1 - and I was cursed with my worst score of the night. Jim took the class with 31, Tony made 28.

Geoff chose McLaren for the final class, this gave even closer racing, Keith won with 29 and even Tim closed the gap with 12, the close scores copied the racing.

So at the end of a very enjoyable night Jim got off to a winning start with 138, Tony was 4 behind then Keith and Wes not far away. That meant Wes won Clubmans, a reward for some very steady racing. Bolwextric Racing results.

Next round is a reversio on April 13th.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Round 2 made this a backwards round, with Sandy off sick (get well soon Sandy) and some other no shows we had just 6 racers.

I decided to warm up with Golfs, which did me no good but Jim took an early lead with 21 class winning points. Tony got off to the start from hell earning just 1 point each from his first 2 races.

Wes went for NSX (Shhh!, don't tell him the are HONDAS), actually by the look and sound of some them they may not be all Hondas. Which maybe or maybe not why he started with a dreaded 1. Jim got well clear with 22 with Tony running up 5 points away. This meant the at the end of 2 classes Jim had double the points of some of us.

Focus were Jim preference but Tony did the best with them with a winning 21. I think it was in this class that a took Jim out, I showed off my skills by knocking him out between corners - but don't ask me to do it again.

Geoff beat Tony to the Pro Trucks and gifted Mr T another win with 22. I slumped to my worst score of the night.

This meant that by the break I was last
while Jim was in the lead with 79 with Tony 7 behind and still ruing his tardy start. We chatted about the relative features of some racetracks for bike racing, Tony had spent a track day for cars at Thruxton, and had been impressed by Tim Needell who was taking punters with too much money for a two lap high speed smoke and terrifying everyone around him. Wes had shot to stardom as he had featured in the live coverage of the BTCC round 1 live coverage, "made in Brand Hatch" or what - he is such a pin up! That's what happens if you walk around backwards in the pit lane concentrating on getting pics of all the riggs.

Did you know that Keith doesn't like French cars (are we aloud to say that?), at least he doesn't now after his pick of Clios' saw him start with a brace of 1s'. Another victory for Tony, 22, saw things hotting up at the top. Meanwhile the bottom feeders were smoking as both Geoff and I went into the final class tied.

Cossies were the rolly polly choice of Tony, I started with the black lane and had detected during warm up that the car would rather be upside down, so I selected full Wambulance mode and - rolled out at the end of the first straight. Turns out the car was a real dog as everyone else was pre warned and still ended upside down, even Jim who won every race and was set for a full 25 until the Black Bessy decided corners were something best avoided. So he won the class with only 23. After my first race tears I did pretty well actually wining my only race of the night and getting my best class score albeit a derisory 16.

That meant - I didn't come last. Jim was the overall easy winner with 120, Wes had a good night getting third overall and taking Clubmans class. Next meeting will be forwards on April 27th. here are the points.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Round 3.
Keith got things going with F40. It was a close class with some great races and most ended with a total in the 20s'. Jim managed 29 to take the class just 1 ahead of Tony.

I decided to revisit last years endurance with the Ninco 1 Corvettes, they cursed me with my worst class but I did win a race
Jim had another single point win with 28, with Wes right behind.

Healey were Sandy's preference, did him few favours but they let me have another win - WOW! Jim's 30 gave him three in a row.

At break Jim was in charge with 87, Tony then Wes were in the 70s', with Keith and I mid 60 ish. Geoff was just a point ahead of Sandy in the 30s'. I am sure we talked but about what? - it's a blank.

Geoff got us on Karts, somehow I managed TWO WINS - WOW WOW !! and sneaked my highest class score for ages, 27. OK you lot - that make ME happy. But it was Keith who really did well, finishing the class with 3 wins on his way to the evenings best class score of 32. Tony didn't do well.

So at the start of of the last class I was in an unusual situation, within striking distance of Wes, Keith and Tony. Jim was soon down to his usual haunt - the end cupboard, and wasted no time lining up BTCC, a class that often sees some close racing despite a wide spread of car performance. I started with yet another win - hang on while I pinch myself, oh yes I remember now, things got worse as I slipped down the order of finishes until I finished with my only 1 of the night - bugger! All the fast boys were clustered mid 20, but guess what? Jim was out front with 28.

So 138 gave Jim a comfortable win over Tony and Wes won Clubmans. Next round will be backwards on May 11th, Bolwextric Racing results are here.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Round 4, so another easy win for Jim - NOT SO!

I started us with Accords, I was doing well, by my standards, till the last race when I failed to complete a lap. White lane is usually a happy hunting ground for me but on this night I failed to complete a complete white lap till the last race of the night. Perhaps "going backwards got the better of me". With almost everyone in the 20s' it was a close call which Keith won with 26.

Scallex Indy were Keith's preference, 30 gave Tony an easy win. The Indys were not a tenatious as they have been, some of the tyres have become just TOO SHINY, so a new set of tyres is on the cards.

Tony went for Pro Trucks, Tony went for Pro Trucks, Tony went for Pro Trucks - oops sorry the needle just got stuck. And guess what? Yes, and he only needed 26 to do it. It was 25 for Wes and and Jim, that also meant Jim had scored a trio of 25's.

At break Tony was sneaking away with a lowish sounding 81. We congratulated Sandy on becoming a local councillor of the Green variety. Chat was about British touring cars, like me many had been amazed by the antics in the last race at Donnington where Craner Curves hosted the most amazing jaw dropping action by a cluster of drivers. Wes was fresh back from Thruxton were even the support racing was good, including a very ominous brilliant drive by a German girl who is so young she is unable to race in her own country. Sophia Floersch defended her lead in Ginetta Juniors in an all too mature manner to secure a win.

Geoff re-started us with Lorrys', I had my worst class of the night to finish with on unlucky 13, while Geoff got class lucky with 24, this bought him level with me and we were set to fight to the finish. Meanwhile Mr Sneaky T got another clear win with 30.

Ninco McLaren were picked by Wes and only a dreaded 1 stopped him winning the class. Geoff did some steady work for a total of 18 and kept the pressure on me. I really engaged my brain, (yes, I know some would say just to find it would be lucky) I even won a race fare and square, but they are dependable cars to drive rather like sporty Accords. The class was won on 27 by me, cheers Wes - I owe you.

So at the end Jim was 4th with 116 WOW! Tony took tops a lowly 131 and Wes was best Clubmans on 118. With such low top scores there ware lots to spread around the bottom so both Geoff and I were in the 90s, while tail end Charlie, Sandy, clocked 61.

We have a wait for the next round which is FORWARDS on June 8th. Bolwextric Racing results.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Round 5 was kicked off by Sandy with Accords Tony took the class with 31 and Jim was 4 behind, everyone was was clustered around 20.

Geoff thought we all needed Focus (of the Ford variety), everyone took up the challenge except Geoff who crashed to the nights lowest class score of 8. Jim was victor with 32 with Tony and Wes on 27.

Jim threw a curved ball and despite howls of disapproval, chose 1/24th Citroen. Despite frantic efforts to shred drive trains during the warm up a full set was found. Actually the horrid giants produced some good races with only the odd whine from transmission or drivers. Jim monstered with the monsters, his 32 put him in a class of his own.

At break Jim was clearish on 91 Tony was the distant challenge on 83. We forgot to chat about Moto GP which was a surprise as it was a crackin race, as one Spaniard rode off into the sunset another did his best to get blood out of a stone before ending up in the stones after what must have been the longest "almost save" ever. We did talk about BTCC from Oulton Park were a strangely quiet Plato was doing most of the winning.

McLaren were picked by Wes, these provided some more good racing with 5 of us winning a race, but with 2 wins and a total of 29 it was Wes that came home smelling of roses.

Skylines, these seem better than I remember, or maybe I did better with them than I should have, I managed 20 which was 2 more than Tony which was a buggery curse for him as he picked them. Hay Ho, Jim won with 33, if he was on earth no one else was in the same solar system, Wes and Keith came closest with 25s.

Yes folks yet another win for Jim with a straight 150, Tony's challenge faded to 126, Wes took 3rd with 117 which also cleaned up the Clubmans. Keith had at least a win in every class but 111 didn't do him justice, IMHO.

We will be going backwards on the 22nd, meanwhile you can get a load of the scores. (where I have just noticed I spelt MuckCClaren wrong in the classes, see if you spot it before I correct it.)

·
Registered
618 Posts
With just 5 of us racing backwards in round 6 we went for 4 lanes with 7 classes. Score totals are here.

Just a few highlights:
In such illustrious company I was favourite to finish last, and although I won 3 races and at the break was tied with Wes, I did indeed finish last. Along the way I also netted the lowest class score of a miserly 5 in McLaren class.

Up at the front Tony started well but Jim soon got control and cruised to another evenings win with 77. Tony and Keith both finished with 75, Tony had the countback advantage. Tony clocked the highest class scores of 13 in SRS 1 and Puntos.

A select but very enjoyable evening of racing often with plenty of 3 or 4 cars racing lap after lap side by side, even the scores were close with no body winning more than 2 races in each class and we look forward to the next round on July 6th.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Round 7 - what a brilliant night, 8 racers, good mix of picks, plenty of individual duels with lots of close finishes, tears, cheers and jeers and the results at all levels undecided to the bitter end.

OK - SO WHERE ARE THOSE RESULTS ?

Such was the excitement and euphoria after the final result was announced I rushed home to get them on line there and then - BUT

OMG WtheF - I had left the sheet in the unit - What a prattttt !

One thousand sorrys', hopefully I will get them Thursday, expect results Friday morning when it is supposed to be raining.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Here at last the results from Monday - Ta Daa.

Besides the great racing see, see above, it was also great to welcome after and absence, Dicky. He was good straight out of the blocks.

Quick report:
Wes picked Accords and he won the class with 30.
Tony went for Auto Art Porche with joint winners being Jim and myself on 26.
It was Corvettes for Keith and the win with 27.
I thought Golfs would be great for me, but they turned out so so, Tony got the win with 30. They really got the better of Tim who got the night lowest of 9.
Geoffs Lorries caused many of us grief, but Keith prevailed with 32.

In the end it was a comfortable win for Tony with 134, while Wes won the clubmans by a point with 107.

The final round is on August 3rd and will be a reverse direction affair.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
The Autumn Championship started with a very enjoyable nights racing won by Jim with 154 points, Keith was the winner of Clubman class.

Next round is a reverse direction on September 14th.

In the Summer Champs, Wes was upgraded from Clubmans due to two series wins. Keith was promoted to Clubmans as the lowest scoring eligible racer.

Bolwextric Racing results.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Just to say a big thank you to Farnham Club, they made us most welcome and we all had a great time.

Some how each club managed a team of 8 racers. As you can imagine we got well beaten, but it wasn't a total massacre.

The points were:
FARNHAM 465
BOLWEXTRIC 335

The return match is at MFR is on September 28th. This means the dates of our further rounds have been adjusted (I had most of them wrong anyway).

The score sheet image from Farnham and our new dates are on our web page.

·
Jim Moyes
5,231 Posts
Yes, really good night that went very well considering the numbers attending. Looking forward to the return leg at the end of the month.

I assumed that it would just be a "normal" Bolwextric night for the return. Just with a lot of racers! But I suppose the potentially different amount of classes affects it.

And I've spotted this month's deliberate mistake, Will! It would appear that Sandy and Dicky should be congratulated on managing to come 4th and 7th, and 5th and 8th in Clubmans respectively!

·
Jim Moyes
5,231 Posts
Percentage scores after the first round are

Farnham 58.125%
Bolwextric 41.875%

Lets try and hit 60% for the return leg!

·
Registered
618 Posts
QUOTE (Mr.M @ 3 Sep 2015, 10:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And I've spotted this month's deliberate mistake, Will! It would appear that Sandy and Dicky should be congratulated on managing to come 4th and 7th, and 5th and 8th in Clubmans respectively!

I only put those mistakes in to keep you on your toes Jim

DOH! - A bit to much Cut N Pastin bin going on, now sorted - I think?

This month's mistake, does that mean I have already used up September's allowance, with most of the month left I am bound to go WELL OVER - help.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
A bit of backwards relish for us as we raced the night away in reverse direction. We started our with 6 of us so we junked the white lane but went for 6 classes, but half way through the 2nd class Owen arrived, so we ended up with more of us than we started.

I plumped for Accords, for no other reason than to stop someone else picking them, it was an unlucky ploy as they gave me my worst score of the night with 13. It was all close racing which Keith won with 20 but 2nd place was crowded with Jim, Tony and Wes all scoring 18.

BTCC was Jim's choice by his standards they did him no good either and he finished 3rd. Tony was king with 19 while Keith was Queen (or prince) just mark behind.

Wes went for Ninco 1 Corvette, when they were first muted for the endurance they got a bit of a slagging off, but on the day they proved to be great and they continue their good works to this day. But not for Wes and he was cursed with his lowest score of the night. I was doing well and lined up for my best class of the night but in my last race I threw it away dicing for the lead, even so my eventual 16 - was the best I did all night. Jim won with 20 with Tony a mark away.

16, you do not win a class with a score like that as Keith found out, but then he did pick SRS 2s. 21 was a winning score for Jim.

At the break Jim was looking pretty well pretty with his 76 being 3 ahead of Tony. But amongst the pack there were two mighty battles raging with Wes and Keith just a mark apart and Tim and Owen likewise. We talked about the Goodwood racing, well not much about racing more that we heard the parking exploits of Jim and his little Puff which together managed to pull the wool over the eyes of all and sundry.

Tony got out the Scalex GT3 porkies, which had a surprise for us in that the yellow car which is usually the quickest had a touch of the collywobbles and turned out to be the slowest, Black was loving the barriers and was this nights hot ticket, even giving me 1 of only 2 wins of the night. But again Jim was the blessed one with 20 while Tony was cursed which was significant.

Tim picked the last class which were, which were... which were errrrr - I can't remember (possibly red, so some kind of Ferrari?) Whatever, they did Tim no favours as he crashed to his lowest equal score, meanwhile Owen sneaked in a lucky 13. Keith shared the winnings with Tony on 19 each.

Another night won for Jim with 112, with Tony still 3 away. Keith took the clubmans and also beat Wes by a single point, Owen's late run did him proud as he just pipped Tim by a mere point as well.

The next Bolwextric Club evening is on September 28th which is when we will be joined in battle by Farnham Club. We had a great evening getting beaten by them, they made us most welcome and I am sure we will do the same to them - that is welcome them but also give them a great big beating. That means our next champ round is not for ages but you can keep your interest alive by looking at The Bolwextric Racing results.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
QUOTE (Wambulance @ 15 Sep 2015, 09:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Tim picked the last class which were, which were... which were errrrr - I can't remember (possibly red, so some kind of Ferrari?) Whatever .......
The data outrage has been resolved:
Class 6 were Ferrari 512 (source Keith, thanks.)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Farnham Challenge 2015 - the return leg, when Farnham Club came to MFR. What a fantastic evening.

I am sure Jim will be along with the official result with points, scores and percentages, but it seems overall Bolwextric were the victors.

For me, the interest was being in a team and the new challenge of only seeking maximum points for the team. And so I evolved a new Wambulance mode, "Team+":
* Don't come off.
* Drive cleanly and conservatively.
* Race hard when only your team is still in the race.

Like all Wambulance settings this would appear to be VERY BORING and likely to annoy such types as Jeremy Erksome.

As it happens the Bolwextric victory was substantial, to have wrecked our chances would have been beyond my numerous random inabilities.

Shall we do an inter club challenge again? YES PLEASE.
Can we improve the format? After our visit to Farnham the horrors of racing on a "new" track became apparent, with that in our minds we gave our guests as much time & help as possible to practice. There is talk of the guest team providing some or all of the cars, and I agree this would be a good leveller. I would also like to see how some of our cars would cope with Farnham's humps n' bumps and the meagre hairpin.

Many thanks to Farnham club for being great hosts and maintaining such good humour while under the gosh of The Manor Farm Raceway.

Here is the mastersheet from our round:

141 - 160 of 323 Posts